Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 81 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 30th, 2006, 05:20 PM   #1201
Trustee

Preferences>Preview Device>Apply deinterlace filter
Old October 30th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #1202
Regular Crew

I'm previwing within Vegas, so there is no option to apply that filter. Plus I've rendered it out in several formats, and the lines are always there.

Thanks for the help anyway though.
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #1203
Regular Crew

Interlaced

I beleive what you are seeing is... a frame of interlaced footage (or rather the two pieces of one frame not matching up). Some fast moving objects may tent to "comb" as they say. You will need to deinterlace your footage. There are many ways to do this (with many different software applications, including Vegas itself)... please search the forums and specifically read the forum on how to make your video look like film... those guys are always talking about Deinterlacing and getting smooth video out of interlaced footage.
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #1204
Regular Crew

Vegas can deinterlace your footage if it knows to think of the footage as interlaced.

Check in your project media to be sure that Vegas is thinking of this file as interlaced. It's a per-media setting.

Vegas should be able to turn the car into a blurry mess without too much trouble. Something is definitely up in this case.
Old October 31st, 2006, 09:19 AM   #1205
Major Player

You cineformed it you say? So it's footage from a SONY HDV then, I'm guessing (what else? interlaced HD...).

There is possibly no problem. It is just the way vegas show interlaced files. If you render it and show it on a TV it should be gone. If it's still there you've changed something on your interlacing settings: rendered it with the wrong field priority or rendered is as progressive while the vegas project was thinking it was progressive?

Anyhow, I wouldn't deinterlace: just check your project property settings to see the right field order has been selected, see to it the field order of the rendered file is the same and check it on a TV. It should be fine then.
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:40 AM   #1206
New Boot

anyone? anyone at all?
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:44 AM   #1207

I'd be happy to answer if I understood your post.
2 tracks, but with a "mask 'between' them." That would imply 3 tracks to me.
Bottom track would have a hard time showing through top track, resized or not, unless you've used mask mode on the top track to allow bottom track to show through. If you used track motion on the top track, that won't affect the lower track, unless you parent the top track to the bottom track.
Either posting a veg or a still would probably be helpful.

I don't understand "been fettled with is black."
http://www.vasst.com
Old October 31st, 2006, 04:32 PM   #1208
New Boot

Thanks for that mate. I will post a still when I get home tonight. I even confused myself when I read that post back lol!
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:05 PM   #1209
Regular Crew

Vegas 6 Basic Operations

Hello All,

I have a question about the training material posted here (vegastrainingandtools). I'm a newbie and trying to get out of the rut of just doing basic plain editing and fiddling around for hours getting quite frustrated. The help menu contributes to my frustration being that I'm a visual learner. For example if I know a certain thing I want to add/try, having someone show me, and then seeing the different effects and such.

I'm interested in the training material, but I want to know if anyone has used it and gotten more than just the surface training like adding audio and video tracks. Some of the things that I'm interested if it is even capable in Vegas is simple PIP (video and still photograph or video and video). I'm also interested in slow motion and different forms of titling.

I have done a few weddings and I also video tape my church services, but I want to jazz everything up a couple of notches. Can someone give me 10 simple things I can do in Vegas to add spice to weddings and make church services more inviting to look at. I use two Canon GL2s, which give me great video quality and I capture sound directly from the soundboard so audio is very clear.

Any help in this manner is greatly appreciated. Please let me know if any of you who use to be newbies tried the training material and found it worth the money. Being the visual learner that I am a "picture" is more than worth a thousand words and the money, provided I am being educated. Thanks in advance.
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:35 AM   #1210
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas is definitely capable of a PIP, just look through the first four newsletters on my website at www.jetdv.com (go to the "Newsletter Archive" section) to see creating a PIP, making modifications to the PIP, and even moving the PIP over time. You might want to check out the other newsletters as well.
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:22 AM   #1211
Jubal 28

Let me take a crack at it.

What I take from your post is that you're using the top image as a mask and that the lower image is showing through the parts of the top image that you want it to.

Then, you reduced the size of the top image, and because it's now smaller than the project frame, everything around it is black.

If you're using the top image as a mask, the only parts of the lower track which can show through are the parts directly under the top image -- so yes, everything around it would appear as black.

But, as Spot pointed out, in order to advise you how to achieve what you're trying to do, we need to know what it looks like now and what you want it to look like.
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:22 AM   #1212
Inner Circle

Edward's newsletters are excellent, well worth the read.

Although there are some great Vegas training materials out there, and do check out the resources at vasst.com, it sounds like you may be concerned with shooting for the edit and learning to edit, maybe even more than learning to edit with Vegas.

I hear that you're in a creative rut. It may be your first, but probably not your last. Vegas is a great editor that will support any thing you want to do, but I think the question here is "what do you want your work to look like?"

I think you need to see more work from other people and try to duplicate in shooting and in Vegas the techniques that you find interesting. As Edward pointed out, V. will certainly do a PIP and so much more... but you'll learn it faster if you're trying to replicate a particular look.

I've seen some amazing wedding portfolio reels - do some searching online, you'll find them. I'm not as familiar with what good work looks like for a church service, but there are organizations, interest groups and forums that specialize in that as well.

Intentional creation of the image is much better than throwing on some editing effects to spice up the program, at least in my book.

For what it's worth.
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:17 AM   #1213
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum
Intentional creation of the image is much better than throwing on some editing effects to spice up the program, at least in my book.
For what it's worth.
Excellent words Seth. To put it another way, you have to learn to walk before you can walk so learn to walk properly first.
No effect is going to magically turn a bad production into a good one. Use them sparingly and have a reason for every one you do use. Hollywood used (and still does) only cuts and dissolves for years and it hasn't hurt their production values.
Start by reading anything and everything on the subject.
The Five C's Of Cinematography is highly recommended.
When you watch a movie on TV, turn the sound off and pay close attentin to the visuals. Find out why you like a particular shot or series of shots.
Then turn the sound up but ignore the picture. Listen to how sound is used to create moods.
Go to art galleries and really study the works there, especially the old masters. Their use of light and shadow was a training ground for a lot of good cinematographers.
http://www.vegasusers.com/vidshare/ has a lot of videos submitted by Vegas users world-wide.
Go to youtube and do a search on "sony vegas". I got 718 hits just now. The production values on some of them are damn good!!
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:47 PM   #1214
New Boot

You are a truely gifted bloke! That is exactly what I was trying to explain. What I would like..........is all the areas that show up black to be visible as well. I will still post a screen grab as well, but any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jimerson
Let me take a crack at it.

What I take from your post is that you're using the top image as a mask and that the lower image is showing through the parts of the top image that you want it to.

Then, you reduced the size of the top image, and because it's now smaller than the project frame, everything around it is black.

If you're using the top image as a mask, the only parts of the lower track which can show through are the parts directly under the top image -- so yes, everything around it would appear as black.

But, as Spot pointed out, in order to advise you how to achieve what you're trying to do, we need to know what it looks like now and what you want it to look like.
Old November 1st, 2006, 01:55 PM   #1215
Jubal 28

I won't be able to say anything for sure until I see it. I don't know what your mask looks like, what's underneath it, what parts you want to show through, and what it it'll look like when it does.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...