Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 82 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 1st, 2006, 09:05 PM   #1216
Regular Crew

From Vegas5 to mpeg4?

I'm using Vegas 5 and need to render out as mpeg4. What are my options and their costs?
Old November 1st, 2006, 09:41 PM   #1217
Regular Crew

I had the same problem when I started using Vegas 7.0 with m2t files captured internally in Vegas with the HVR A-1u. (I had editable video files, but it would not build audio peaks, and I also had the error message) I read in information from another post that this problem was fixed in Vegas 7.0b, so I downloaded the update and installed it and the issue seems to be solved.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:34 AM   #1218
Sponsor: JET DV

File - Render As - MainConcept AVC/AAC (*.mp4)

or

File - Render As - Sony AVC/AAC (*.mp4)
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:41 AM   #1219
Regular Crew

Gentlemen,

Thanks a million. I truly agree that I need to learn to walk before walking. I will definitely begin to do more research and watch some of the examples on the links mentioned. I guess the hard part after watching is figuring out how to reproduce what I have seen. I guess that is the fun in learning. Vegas is definitely a powerful tool and I want to unlock as many of its creative capabilities as possible.

Before closing, AMEN to keeping things simple. It is far better than just throwing in special effects. At this point I need to see how effects are created and how they enhance positiviely vs negatively. Since I posted my question I have found someone in the local area that uses Vegas and has been using it for quite a while. I will try and be an apprentice to gain some insight on the who, what, when, and why. I have recommended this site to so many people because the excellent advice and non-judgmental answers.

Thanks Again!!!
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:19 PM   #1220
Regular Crew

The Trimmer

I'm sorry guys this may seem like a very basic question but what exactly is the purpose of the trimmer? Is it just to trim clips because you can just do that in the time line. I'm sorry maybe I'm just missing the point. Thanks.

Mitch
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:35 PM   #1221

It's a tool to select regions/segments/in-out points. Many users never touch the trimmer, because similar tasks may be accomplished on the timeline.
However, if you've got say...one hour of analog capture, using the trimmer to select, mark, and insert short clips is a much better workflow.
One nice thing about Vegas is it doesn't *require* 3 point/4 point editing. It's a great workflow when you have so many choices.
If you don't use the Trimmer, just leave it invisible.
http://www.vasst.com
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:36 PM   #1222
Regular Crew

Thank you for replying Edward. Neither of those options appear in my Vegas 5. Mainconcept Mpeg1 and Mpeg2 are there but no mp4.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:08 PM   #1223
Sponsor: JET DV

Ahh... Vegas 5. Today or tomorrow you could upgrade to Vegas 7+DVD4 for $150 (after tomorrow the price goes back up).

So I guess the answer to your question is $150 if you want to stay inside Vegas.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:20 PM   #1224
Inner Circle

In my workflow on longer material, I generally open the video on the trimmer, find the in/out points and set markers (type "M"). I then drag the bits to the timeline. I find that this lets me focus on selection without having to think about composition.

My son does everything from the timeline. This also works. The big difference is that when the editing is done, my timeline is clean. His timeline tends to have one section of edited video with at least as many minutes of leftover junk off to the sides.

That said, he's very quick (Vegas is great that way - with or without the trimmer), and he's the more talented editor.

Overall, I think the trimmer is great when you have a lot of video and the junk to keeper ratio is high. For lots of quick edits on a short capture, the timeline is probably the better method.

It's nice to have both skills and to use the right tool for the job at hand.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:44 PM   #1225
Major Player

Strange Sync Issue

I am having a sync issue with Vegas 7.

In vegas, even with selective prerender, the audio is perfectly syncd (3 cameras). Once rendered to mpeg2 (vegas main concept, two pass vbr) it is out of sync, and appears to sort of drift in and out over the course of about a 30 second stretch. I have applied magic bullet (editors) unbloom to these series of clips.

Any ideas? Thanks guys!
Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:41 PM   #1226
Regular Crew

Having trouble with the Text "Scaling" option

Ok Im trying to get the text to look like its coming in from far away and shooting past you but I cannot get it to work like when I add an effect and adjust it through the time bar on the bottom of the screen. Whats up with that?
Vegas 6.0
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:10 PM   #1227
Inner Circle

The easiest way to do that in Vegas is PAN/CROP with a couple of keyframes.

Enlarge the CROP/PAN to as big a number as you can around 4 to 5,000 then go to the end of the timeline and set another keyframe to a smaller numbe, perhaps 1 or 2 hundred. You'll have to play with the number to get it exactly as you want it but other than going to a program like BLUFFTitler which is made for that, that's the only way I know how to do it.

Don
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:11 PM   #1228

Tony,
Rather than using the scaling option in the title tool, use Pan/Crop for best results. Click the pan/crop icon on the text, and grow it or shrink it as you desire. Get better results by doubling the resolution of your text to 1440 x 960

[edit] LOL, Great minds think alike (and apparently at the same time, too, Don...
http://www.vasst.com
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:24 PM   #1229
Inner Circle

Aw Spot, I thought I was the only one that knew about that trick, darn it!
;-O

Don
Old November 3rd, 2006, 05:50 PM   #1230
Regular Crew

Ok I still cant figure out what to change when I get in the pan crop

<<stupid newbie
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...