Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 86 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 7th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #1276
Regular Crew

Moving markers with events? I hope ??

Is it possible to select a bunch of events on the timeline and be able to move the markers I have in place along with the events? When I try to select the events and move them, the markers are not going along for the ride.. Anyone know how I can do this?
Old November 7th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #1277
Sponsor: JET DV

Make sure Ripple Editing is turned on AND set to move EVERYTHING.
Old November 7th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #1278
Regular Crew

You're god!
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #1279
Regular Crew

Laptop, External Hard Drives and HDV in Vegas Platinum (v6)

Heya's

Just recently bought a Core 2 Duo 2ghz (T7200) Dell laptop. Has 1 gig of ram and a 7200rpm 100 gig hdd inside.

My current Veags Movie Studio Platinum (version 6) editing is happening on my deskstop which is only a Athlon 64 2800+ with 1.5 gig of ram.

I'm thinking in meantime until I upgrade my desktop, and also so I can take the projects with me easily to places I want to show rough edits of, I might start editing on the laptop.

I found a thread that was about 6 months old about external Hdds and laptops but it seemed to be focusing on DV. I edit HDV so was wondering wether both USB2 and Firewire external hard drives can handle capturing, editing, rendering etc?

Before USB2 I know firewire was the only way to go, but am wondering if USB2 can handle it, as I only have one firewire port on the laptop, yet 4 usb2's and external hdd cases (not inc. hdd) without firewire are about half the price where I live.

Thanks

Lee
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #1280
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i use combo USB2/1394a ( 2 1/2 external drives) with my laptop for DV files ... i just haven't tried HDV/USB on them ? i do have some SD uncompressed files on the drives and they play back fine over USB or 1394a -

testing the combo usb/1394 drive on my Averatec laptop the USB is faster then 1394a .. on HP laptop 1394a is faster then USB ...

i have 80% of my clips on some 1394b drives .. i use a pcmcia 1394b card.
use the laptop 4pin 1394a to capture HDV/DV to those 800 gig 1394b drives ( using pcmcia ).
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #1281
Major Player

... and not just a bit. If you use the microsoft DV codec and you play back the scenes that are recompressed with this codec on a 82cm widescreen TV-set (assuming you've shot widescreen DV) - you'll notice a degraded picures (almost like the picture is subvivided in little squares of 8x8 or 16x16 pixels...)

I'll grab a frame and post that later or put it on my website...

bottom line: DON'T USE the microsoft codec. You get the sony/sonic foundry codec with the NLE... use it!
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #1282
Major Player

Vegas Preview and Windows MediaPlayer have different appearance

I have made a displeasant discovery. I needed to color correct some shots in Vegas and I got them fine, but after rendering they looked slightly different colored when playing back in MediaPlayer. For one reason or another the colour of files played back in Windows MediaPlayer or in Sony Vegas Preview is somewhat different. This is very annoying. Is there any way to correct this? or some setting I can change about this?
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #1283
New Boot

HDV to HD-DVD compatible 1080i Help?

Seems my last posts were deleted due to cross posting.....

Does anyone have a solution to transcode HDV to HD-DVD compatible h.264?

I'm currently making red HD-DVD's with mpeg2 but want to fit more video on a DL DVD.

Thanks in advance (and hoping my thread lasts more than day....)

Wes
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #1284
Major Player

Render it out in Vegas?

And if you're using an intermediate codec in Vegas, render it from the intermediate file, instead of from an edited m2t file (so the quality remains as high as possible)
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #1285
Major Player

How to Print Video to Tape or HDV Tape?

I've connected my Sony HVR-A1U HDV camera to my computer via Firewire and the computer recognizes the camera. However, when I am in Vegas trying to print my project to either Mini DV tape or HDV tape, I am having problems.

When I choose print video to tape and choose OHCI complaint IEEE from the drop-down menu, it says no device available. I can't use it. Why? How can I fix this? Ideally, I want my project printed to a regular Mini DV tape in Standard Definition with a 4:3 aspect ratio and 23.976 fps. Next, I would accept it printed in HDV format as 1080i 29.97fps and 16:9 AR with black bars. I am working with a 16mm film transfer btw.

When I choose print to HDV tape then Vegas will see my A1 camera, so I click next letting it choose the HDV-1080i format. I have plenty of space of my hard drive for it to render the .m2t file, so again I click next. The next screen is where I'm supposed to choose manual or crash as the device control mode, but BOTH options are greyed out. I am unable to select anything. How do I fix this?
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #1286
Inner Circle

I'm like Don, with external cases that go both ways. They're handy.

Bear in mind that DV and HDV are the same data rates to and from disk. What works for DV should work for HDV the same. The big difference is processor load to decode the M2T on the fly and display it, but you should be fine on your speedy new Core2 Duo.

The picture changes a little bit for Cineform digital intermediate files, as the datarate is about triple of an M2T, but I've had good experience with USB2 here as well. I don't really do much multilayer video, though.
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #1287
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Thames
When I choose print video to tape and choose OHCI complaint IEEE from the drop-down menu, it says no device available. I can't use it. Why? How can I fix this?
Did you change the camera to standard mode instead of HDV mode?
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #1288

several firms are now making SATA adapters to go in the PCIe slots of a laptop. My own PCIe SATA card has two ports, allowing a RAID 0 with 2 SATA hard drives. RAID 0 will give you a thruput in the regime of 100mb/sec, almost fast enough for uncompressed video.
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #1289
Regular Crew

really dumb question, crtl-z

its been a while since i used vegas, but i cant seem to find the setting for this...

when i hit ctrl-z for undo, it will close vegas right down instead of undoing...so then i lost whatever i was working on (well some of it is saved in the auto-restore)

cant seem to find that setting in the options or keyboard preferences (albiet i could be blind)

thanks!

Old November 8th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #1290
Jubal 28

I've had that happen, too, actually, usually (if not always) right after a ripple edit.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...