Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 87 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 8th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #1291
Major Player

Hey Wes,
Do you mean this thread?
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=79073

Cheers.
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #1292
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info guys. I figured the data rate was the same for HDV as DV, but yeah still wasn't sure. Sounds like USB2 might be able to handle it, but possibly better to fork out the extra dollars to be safe.

The PCIe option sounds nice but I live in Australia and can't say I've seen them around at all. I'm guessing they are a lot pricier as well. I'll have a look around for them.

Thanks again for the info. If anyone is out there that does work with HDV on a laptop with USB2 or Firewire external HDDs, It'd be great to here from you.
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #1293
Inner Circle

I've seen the setup at amusement parks, and here in San Francisco on Fishermans Wharf. The have a greenscreen set up, and a 'flying carpet' that people sit on in front of it. The people are watching a monitor, which has the background on it, and everyone 'reacts' to the movement they see on the screen. It's all recorded and keyed in realtime, then they get a copy.
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #1294
New Boot

wierd, I couldnt find that thread, even with search..... Lets move over there and maybe the mod can delete this thread.

Sorry Guys,

Wes
Old November 9th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #1295
Regular Crew

Audio Compression in Vegas, need basic help..

I posted a clip once on another forum with a video related question and it was reposted and the guy told me, "I cleaned up the audio a bit too for you" When asked what he did, he told me he applied compression. I've been messing with this compression thing and reading about it but I still don't understand how to USE the tool to make the audio sound better. Can someone either give me a link or a brief but easy to understand explanation about how to use the track compressor?
Old November 9th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #1296

there's several ways to apply compression to an audio track, the primary goal being to raise the overall RMS volume of the track. Since audio waveforms consist of peaks and valleys, the volume of the track can only be raised until the peaks begin to max out the audio amplifier and clip(distort). Compression reduces the volume of the peaks in one of 2 ways:
1-brick wall limiting in which no peaks are allowed to exceed a specified value, like 0 dB
2-general compression in which the peaks are rolled off gradually.

I use a compressor, in line with my mike setup, mostly because the dynamics of a voice in a song exceeds the dynamics of the instruments backing up the vocal track. compression helps to keep the vocal from exceeding the dynamic bandwidth of the recording stream.

software compressors, these days, work on several frequency bands, which are selectable by the user. selection of the frequency bands to apply compression to pretty much is a function of what the source is...vocal, musical, percussion, etc. application of a compressor is somewhat of an acquired skill, something a sound engineer is paid well to do well. different compressor algorithms each introduce a quality(or lack thereof) all its own, so the resulting audio stream is influenced by which compressor software you applied to it. the vegas compressors ar OK for general work, but, nowhere near the quality of something like Ozone or Waves. The Soundforge "Normalize" plugin is pretty good, when combined with the plugin's ability to rolloff values that exceed 0 dB. used alone, the Vegas Normalize function does nothing but raise the overall volume of the clip.

I would suggest you spend some time playing with the compressor plugin until you have a fairly good understanding of what the various settings do. Initially, ignore the attack and release settings and concentrate on playing with threshhold and margins. there's a free tutorial over at the Izotope website that might help you understand all the knobs to play with, including multiband compression.
Old November 9th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #1297
Major Player

No preview while capturing HD in Vegas 6.0d

Hi all,

I just got this wonderful Sony tape deck.

My computer recognize it. When I put a tape with HD content the Sony Video capture Xpress sees it and I can take control so the connection is good. But no preview. I can see the image on the tapedeck monitor but nothing through the program.

If I want to capture direct from Vegas it doesn't even let me control the tape and no preview as well.

I tried to look in the options and couldn't find anything. Nor was I succesful with a search on this board, maybe I wasn't thorough though.

Thanks

Phil
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #1298
Regular Crew

Purchased & Downloaded 7 but Grafitti Serial?

As I said in Title I purchased and downloaded Vegas 7 and easily installed and did fine with Vegas 7 and DVD architect 4 serials (as they were on a page after purchase) but did not see/get the serial for Boris Graffitti 3.0 LTD that came with the bundle download (and does Bullet also need one?) does anybody have a quick answer? Where are these serials? or do I have to deal with each company individually or contact sony through there SLOW support...
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #1299
Regular Crew

well at least I am not absolutely crazy...

Old November 10th, 2006, 02:47 AM   #1300
Regular Crew

Check again the order confirmation from SonyMediaSoftware. It should also have Boris Graffiti Serial next to Vegas and DVDA -numbers.

What strikes me odd is that I did not get the download link with Vegas 7 for Boris (or magic Bullet either). I can dl those through my Vegas 5 links, but still.

Nevertheless, I upgraded Boris to full license w/o bothering to install the LTD-versions... I do like the plugin-approach instead of needing each time to render and leave Vegas to accomplish something with Boris.

And I've posted two or three support requests to Sony during last three months and I've got the answer back in two or three days. Its not that slow...
Old November 10th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #1301
Major Player

7.0b?

not that I saw it anywhere as a fix or as a known issue in production notes, but worth to install another build?

for the record: I've never had it happen - and I use ctrl-z a lot as well...
Old November 10th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #1302
Sponsor: JET DV

If you cannot find the serial numbers, simply contact Sony Customer Service and they will help you out. If you ordered via download, the e-mail you received should have all the necessary serial numbers. If you got the box version, many people have indicated the box did NOT get the card(s) containing the other serial numbers.
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #1303
Major Player

When I first started to use Vegas I had the same kind of problem, in media player the image will look a lot more dark than it should.

There is only one thing that I know about that could help you.

Go into the options of Media player, go to the performance tab, click on the advance option at the bottom.

In the new window check a the bottom left and you should see "use overlays", uncheck that, click apply and restart Media player.

Hope it helps.

Phil
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #1304
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gosselin
When I first started to use Vegas I had the same kind of problem, in media player the image will look a lot more dark than it should.

There is only one thing that I know about that could help you.

Go into the options of Media player, go to the performance tab, click on the advance option at the bottom.

In the new window check a the bottom left and you should see "use overlays", uncheck that, click apply and restart Media player.

Hope it helps.

Phil
Whatever do that or not, the rendered image(video) remains really darker even when see it on TV via DVD player. That's why I have to put less contrast as an effect before rendering out.
Old November 10th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #1305
Regular Crew

FilmRender (FilmMunge)

Has anybody heard about that software? I found it out somehow and I all I can say is that FilmRender is the ONLY software which makes REAL film look and film motion from any miniDV and DV cam, and it takes approx. 700kb size, works fast and amazingly. Now I can say honestly that I can forget forever all the expensive software like Magic Bullet, AFter Effects plugins for film look & motion, etc. So, happy looking for film look.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...