DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/41400-vegas-video-discussions-2006-q3q4.html)

Ruben Pla July 9th, 2006 11:57 PM

Hi Edward,

I just came back from out of town and got your message. Thank you.

As I mentioned, rendering the 60i section as 24p, makes that section lose definition. Do you think if I render the whole project (including the majority of the film, which is in 24p Anamorphic with 2-3-3-2 pulldown) as 60i, will lower the resolution of the larger 24p section?

What do you think?

Ruben

Brian Luce July 10th, 2006 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Jimerson
Are you sure it's not different clips generated by scene detection?

I'm positive it's the same identical clip appearing 9 different times with 9 different thumbnails. The clip has 9 different shots. and It seems every time the camera stopped recording it creates a new duplicate clip that is represented by different thumbnail yet the overall clip (consisting of the 9 different shots) is identical.

Brian Luce July 10th, 2006 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Stedeford
Hi all you lovely people,

What is the best way to edit HDV, is this possible in Vegas? Whats all this DV proxy business? I can do FCP or Vegas. Which is best? I'm going to be making music vids for MTV and a comedy sketch show for Channel 4 in the UK.. whats best, DVX100 or FX-1/one of those new HD panasonic cams..

Oh.. have 2 PCs and a Mac. Specs:

mac: G5 dual 1.8Ghz, 3.5GB RAM, firewire400 ext. 7200rpm HD, 2 internal HD, mbox
pc1: AMD 3000fx, 1.5gb ram, like a few 7200rpm 200GB HDs (mirrored) or something like that, delta66 s/c
pc2: P4 2.5Ghz, 1gb ram, a few 7200rpm 200GB HDs

Can upgrade if nec

Cheers for any input.

one thing no one seems to dispute about vegas is that it has unmatched audio capability. I know sound engineers that use Vegas in lieu of pro tools.

Magnus Helander July 10th, 2006 06:45 AM

Firewire

Are you previewing externally over firewire?
Then maybe this will help ... XP SP2 sets firewire speed to S100 = slowest.

Patch available..
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885222

And a hack to restore speed if you have SP1 available
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/fw800sp2.htm

Other than that... the usual stuff...
- XP Swap disk on separate drive?
- Media files on a SATA drive?
- Virus check / killed all unnecessary background processes?
- Updated all graphics card drivers?
... and a gazillion other things which could be the source...

/magnus

Arnold English July 10th, 2006 06:54 AM

This is my last question(smile). I know some of the questions might seem dumb but like my 3rd grade teacher use to say, “The only dumb question is one not asked.” We’re done editing. We followed Ed Troxel’s steps concerning ‘ Preparing for DVD’
(1) Render project as MPEG-2 <allows greater compression>
(2) Modified bit rate to compensate length of video
(3) Author DVD to DVD Architect as single movie

Then someone mentioned Douglas Spotted Eagle’s ‘Mastering Audio for Video with Vegas.’ The terminology in the article was way over our heads. Adjustments to the audio tracks were made during editing.(Track Compressor, Noise Gate, and Track EQ plug-ins)
Should some of that solve a lot of things with the audio Mr. Eagle wrote about?

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 10th, 2006 08:46 AM

To add a tad to Davids question... by chance could you have had a dirty head or glitched tape that caused 9 scenes to be created? how long is each clip>?
Otherwise, I don't think I can remember ever hearing of any problem like this before, and would recommend recapturing the tape.

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 10th, 2006 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arnold English

Then someone mentioned Douglas Spotted Eagle’s ‘Mastering Audio for Video with Vegas.’ The terminology in the article was way over our heads. Adjustments to the audio tracks were made during editing.(Track Compressor, Noise Gate, and Track EQ plug-ins)
Should some of that solve a lot of things with the audio Mr. Eagle wrote about?

Track Compressor, Noise Gate, and Track EQ plug-ins aren't "terminology" but rather "nouns." They're all names of plugins. You'll find them in the Audio Plugins options under "Insert>Assignable Audio FX

Dean Orewiler July 10th, 2006 09:13 AM

splitting video in vegas movie maker+platinum

I can no longer split my timeline footage....the split button is no longer highlighted...any suggestions?

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 10th, 2006 09:32 AM

Lemme get this straight;
you have your cursor over a clip(s) and you can't split?

Chris Barcellos July 10th, 2006 09:49 AM

Make sure clip is selected.

Dean Orewiler July 10th, 2006 10:14 AM

whoops, I had the lock on....couldn't do anything until I unlocked that.

Paul Carlberg July 10th, 2006 10:50 AM

Update event without re-rendering whole?

Vegas Folks,

Is there a way to update an event or region in a rendered video without re-rendering the whole thing?

Frankly I can't imagine how this would be done unless it is possible to place rendered video on one track and the un-rendered update on another track at the appropriate spot on the timeline. When re-rendering Vegas would "skip" to the update section, re-render, and "stitch" it all together.

My problem is that I don't spell check until I have rendered the whole thing, but generally this could be a convenient way to update lengthly clips. Just thinking (but not spelling :)) Thanks in advance, Paul

Seth Bloombaum July 10th, 2006 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Carlberg
...unless it is possible to place rendered video on one track and the un-rendered update on another track at the appropriate spot on the timeline. When re-rendering Vegas would "skip" to the update section, re-render, and "stitch" it all together.

If you've rendered in DV (not mpeg) then what you've described will work pretty well. Vegas doesn't quite "skip", but it will plow through AVI/DV25 very quickly, only slowing down to render transitions.

If you've rendered in mpeg, IMO there's not much to do in Vegas but rerender the project.

Zdravko Jancevski July 10th, 2006 01:25 PM

Multi Window in Vegas

1 Attachment(s)
Can I do this effect in Vegas like picture bellow. My point is having three video tracks on the timeline, splitting main Vegas window to three and time after time zooming in first clip to whole screen, stayng about 3-4 sec. then zooming out , spliting screen to three again, stayng 3-4 sec. then zooming in second clip to whole screen, staying 4 sec, zooming out then splitting to three and zooming in third video clip as main window.
I sow this effect in one serial on TV. Can I do this in Vegas or I maybe I have to try this in some 3D program.
Regards.

Edward Troxel July 10th, 2006 01:48 PM

Absolutely. Use Pan/Crop to crop the video/images as needed and then use Track Motion to resize/position the various pieces.

Take a look at the first few issues of my newsletters which talks about using Track Motion.