Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 91 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 14th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #1351
Regular Crew

Yeah I've seen quite a few on the net, but I'd rather wait for them to become locally available. I just prefer not to buy electrical gear over the net. Hopefully only have to wait a month or two. One PC shop I spoke to said they are trying to get them, but haven't been able to yet. And seeing they are selling the eSATA cases, surely there will be customer demand for the pc express cards.
Old November 14th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #1352
New Boot

Vegas Movie Studio Newby Questions

Hello everyone. This is my first post, as I have just downloaded Vegas Movie Studio Trial for a look. My current editor (Movie Edit Pro) is running out of puff with lots of files. If anybody can shed some light on the following, I'd be grateful:

1. Editing events: Does Vegas have an option where I can split an event and the program automatically deletes either to the left or right of the split (depending on the action taken by me) and then close up the gap? I'm aware of the ripple edit where if you delete an event the gap closes automatically, but I was wondering if there is an option that circumvents the need to manually delete the bit that's left first. In MEP, I can hit K, which will split the event, then delete the resulting event to the left of the split and close up the gap ie ripple. Likewise, I can hit U and MEP will split the event at the cursor and then delete the "new" event on the right of the cursor and ripple the movie to close the gap.

Can this be done in Vegas?

2. Vegas MS has 4 video tracks and 4 audio tracks. You can't use a video track for audio. Does the real Vegas have dedicated video and audio tracks or can a track be used for either video or audio events?

3. My trial download didn't include DVD Architect Studio. Does anybody know if this was intentional or a download glitch? When I try to create a DVD, all the program says is "Sony DVD Arcitect Studio does not appear to be installed". I have tried asking Sony but I cannot register for support because I don't have a computer number as I haven't bought anything yet.

Thanks a lot,

Alwyn
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #1353
Sponsor: JET DV

1. You use "S" to split and then manually delete whatever event. I suppose you could use scripting in the full version of Vegas to create such a function. Scripting isn't available in Movie Studio, though.

2. The full version has unlimited video and audio tracks. Need 35 audio tracks? No problem.

3. Did you download the DVD Architect Studio trial? It's a separate download from the Vegas Movie Studio trial. Both are listed on this page:
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/dow...p2.asp?DID=684
Old November 14th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #1354
New Boot

Ed,

Thanks. Does the full blown Vegas differentiate between video and audio, or can you put either on any track you like? For example, could I put audio on track one?

I'll download the architect demo; I didn't even see it there. Thanks.

Cheers, Al
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #1355
Regular Crew

Hello Alwyn,

in the full version of Vegas it is possible to have a Audio Track on top. But Audio and Video tracks are still different

Greetings Richard
Old November 15th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #1356
Sponsor: JET DV

Audio and video tracks can be placed in any order. That does not matter at all. However, audio tracks can ONLY contain audio and video tracks can ONLY contain video. If you want track 1 to be an audio track, that is no problem at all (and I would think that would also be no problem in VMS as well).

When you open the full version of Vegas, there are NO tracks on the timeline. You then start adding tracks as needed. So, for example, you could have a project with 10 audio tracks and ZERO video tracks.
Old November 15th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #1357
Trustee

I've just come up against the nested 5.1 VEG problem myself, and I am not happy :-(

Not sure what the point is of not allowing 5.1 to be carried over onto the master timeline, but is has just caused the start of an absolutely huge headache for me on a project that I need to complete double quick time!
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #1358
Trustee

Do you mean that the nested file renders as stereo, or simply appears stereo but renders surround?
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #1359
Trustee

As far as I can tell all nested projects are stereo only, and when I queried the development team on this they also told me that nested projects are stereo only. Note that my query was about Vegas 7, so this is the latest version of the program.
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #1360
Trustee

Thank God for DSE's Trackaliser script! At least now I can easily render out each track for placement in the master timeline.
Old November 15th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #1361
Trustee

Trackaliser, for the rest of use.
Old November 15th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #1362
Major Player

Quick intermediate codec question.

Hi all,

Just finish the portion of a Lynda.com tutorial. This part was to capture, manage and render.

I understand the intermediate part but the thing is when you render in Vegas it uses "Good" as the default quality. So if I only choose the Avi type then the 1080 60i template it will be at "good" settings.

Should I use "Best" instead.

Thanks
Old November 15th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #1363
Inner Circle

Somebody here knows the details better than I do, but, the general guideline is that you only need "best" when you are rescaling the video.

For example, rendering DV to WMV 320x240 pixels. Or, HDV (M2T or Cineform) to standard definition for DVD.

Nothing wrong with using "best" under other circumstances, but you won't see improvement in the video and it will take a lot longer to render.
Old November 15th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #1364
Major Player

So I should then use the "best" setting for when my work is done and I want render the whole project back to mpeg2.

Right...
Old November 15th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #1365
New Boot

can you add an fx to all clips?

Im sorry, i've searched the forum and searched vegas help and I cant find the answer. I am wondering if it is possible to add an effect to all audio or video clips. Grouping doesnt work. I dont know. Thanks for the help.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...