Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 93 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 17th, 2006, 04:39 AM   #1381
Inner Circle

Turning off "Quantize to Frames" (in the toolbar or under the Options menu) will do this for you.
If the audio is locked to the video, you'll need to ungroup it. "Ignore Event Grouping" is one way of doing this.
Old November 17th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #1382
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida
"Quantize to Frames" (in the toolbar or under the Options menu)
Thats the one.
Thank you.
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #1383
Inner Circle

Try mike crash's de-interlacer if you want slightly better results.

notes on how to use it:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=52097

2- Actually I may not even bother with it, because with 1080i you can do this:

Nest your .veg into a new project.
Set the new project to progressive, under file-->properties. (Not sure if this is necessary, since the file-->render as settings tend to override things.)
In the de-interlace method, select interpolate field. Vegas will discard a field, and use the remaining field. You lose half your 1080 resolution (which is fine) and you don't have any motion artifacts.

You can also apply the "studio RGB to computer RGB" preset in the color corrector if necessary. Your video is usually studio RGB, while encoders for wed streaming formats typically expect computer RGB. Video formats (with Vegas default codecs for DV, MPEG2) usually expect studio RGB levels so don't use this color corrector FX/filter for those exports. That's why I recommend nesting, so you can have seperate vegs for seperate outputs.
Old November 17th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #1384
Regular Crew

So, that is what I mean:
As you can see, this dark skin of Vegas is what I want to get, and it doesnt depend on any Windows theme. So???
Attached Thumbnails
Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4)-vegasskindark.jpg  
Old November 17th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #1385
Major Player

Editing same project on different compiters

I'm going to be away from home for a while and must get a wedding video finished before the bride strings me up!! I'm planning on taking a laptop with all the captured tapes on an external USB drive.

But at some point I'll want to finsih the edit on the home desktop PC and there's a good chance it will assign it a different drive letter to the laptop. Is this gonna cause a major problem in Vegas - is there a way of saying within a project "Replace any reference to S: with T:"

Thanx

Ian
Old November 17th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #1386
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plamen Petrov
and it doesnt depend on any Windows theme.
Do you have proof of this? Because I don't think it is possible. You would need to modify the entire windows theme from your desktop to get Vegas to look like this.
Old November 17th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #1387
Inner Circle

This is from memory so the wording won't be exactly like I say below.

When you eventually start the project up on your home PC, Vegas will say "can't find file01.avi - what do you want to do" and give you 3 or 4 options. Choose the "I'll tell you where it is" option and then select it on the external USB drive. Usually once you select the first one, it'll say "I found file02.avi here as well. Do you want to use it?". Say Yes and everything else should load in automatically. Worst case scenario is that you'll have to reload all the files one at a time. Been there, done that :-(

Mike
Old November 17th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #1388
Major Player

Nice one - thanx Mike

Ian
Old November 17th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #1389
Regular Crew

My Performance Graphs

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/tuttidog/stats.jpg

I'm worried about this. Is my page file usage out of control? It caps out around 1.4gigs. Also I thought maybe my thread count should be lower...I have Vegas's thread usage set to 4, Dynamic preview ram at 1 gig (highest it can go)

This is what I see after about 5 minutes of rendering. Doesn't matter what kind of original file it is or what type of codec/file type I render with, I end up with an approximate 2 frames per second render speed at this point. The renders all start off really fast but then slow right down. It doesn't matter what kind of effects I have, I can be doing something bare-bone.

My system stats are 2.6 GHz Pentium Dual core, 4 gigs (seriously) of RAM, plenty of hard drive space, decent pci-ex video card.

Any suggestions? I could really use the help :(
Attached Thumbnails
Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4)-stats.jpg  
Old November 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #1390
New Boot

Try lowering the Dynamic Preview RAM.

The way I understand it, this should free up more RAM for Vegas to use for other activities, such as rendering.
Old November 17th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #1391
Regular Crew

Audio track speed/frame accurate editing...

Some friends got married in Hawaii and setup their camcorder at the beach, there is basically no useable audio on the tape. However the minister had a hand help cassette recorder which has useable audio, so I digitized it and dropped it into Vegas 6. I guess the speeds of the dv tape and audio cassette are way off. My first question is how do you line up a start point to single frame accuracy, I've dragged the audio track but can never get a perfect match to a clapping sound start point that matches the video...it's close but looks off by a couple frames? Is there a way to move the audio track, or even the video track that accurately....I've just been dragging left or right?
Also, when I do get the audio track to a very close starting point, by the time the video gets to the end of the last speaking by people on camera, the matching audio finished like 10 seconds before.....?!?! How do I change the speed of the audio track.....I used a velocity envelope on the video to change it slightly slower (or faster, I forget) and that helped somewhat, but the sync is still way off.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #1392
Inner Circle

I'm new to Vegas, but I know that you can nudge the tracks by a single frame using the arrow keys. Hopefully someone will come along and tell you how.

Also, I believe on each track there is a slider that has a "rate" on it, where you can slow down or speed up play a bit.

Good luck with your issue.
Old November 18th, 2006, 02:48 AM   #1393
Major Player

Adjustment layer in Vegas?

Is it possible to create an adjustment layer (as in After Effects) in Vegas – whereby all layers beneath are effected by the FX of the adjustment layer?
Old November 18th, 2006, 02:49 AM   #1394
Inner Circle

Or you could force the external drive to have the same drive letter on both machines maybe?
Old November 18th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #1395
Inner Circle

Just some things to consider, rather than a certain solution:

1. Turn off snapping. That may help you line up your start points. To get the best possible synch point it helps to zoom in really close, greatly increase the height of the audio tracks and find some useful audio spike that matches the audio on the original video footage.

2. To reduce the cumulative effect of the synch problem try chopping the video track (together with the original audio track) into smaller chunks and adjusting those to suit (make sure you aren't splitting the new audio track with it as well or you won't get anywhere!). You could either make these split points at a fixed frequency, say every 3 minutes, which should help to counter the cumulative delay, or you could make them any time there is a nice audio spike you can line up with the original footage.

Hope that helps in some way.

Ian . . .
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...