DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/41400-vegas-video-discussions-2006-q3q4.html)

Jeff Toogood March 18th, 2005 06:45 PM

Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4)

Rendering to MPEG - custom settings not working

I am having a weird problem with Vegas 5.0
I just got a new PC and re-installed Vegas and when I try and render to MPEG and go to select options nothing at all happens.

I am not able to change the render options for MPEG1 or MPEG2, all other formats allow me to select and change the options.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edward Troxel March 18th, 2005 08:22 PM

Yep. Try this:

http://www.jetdv.com/vegas/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Jeff Toogood March 18th, 2005 09:17 PM

Thanks!

Milt Lee September 1st, 2005 02:12 PM

Flash video encoding? FVSS?

Just finished a couple of macromedia seminars online, and it was mentioned that Vegas 6 does *not* encode directly to Flash. What a bummer! Does anyone know if they are going to be adding this?

Also does anybody know who has the Flash Video Streaming Service? I'm really looking towards it for my web site.

Thanks!

Milt Lee

Joe Carney November 10th, 2005 11:29 AM

MAudio ProjectMix I/O for Vegas

I recently saw the new M-Audio ProjectMix I/O at Guitar Center and it's both a control surface (like the Mackie) with recording capabilities (sends audio in thru firewire to computer).
According to their web site, it uses the Mackie control interface...

Has anyone tried this out with Vegas? Any opinions?

This looks like a great piece of kit, considering street pricing is under 1K US.

They already claim compatablity with Sonar and about anything Digidesign works with.

John Rofrano November 10th, 2005 02:41 PM

I've got my eye on the ProjectMix IO too. I assume you would get some level of compatibility because Vegas supports the Mackie interface but it sure would be nice to hear from someone who has used one with Vegas to be sure. I recently bought the Frontier Designs Tranzport and I did get it to work somewhat with Vegas in Mackie emulation mode but it wasn’t totally functional and some of the buttons performed the wrong function. :(

~jr

Ian Briscoe May 23rd, 2006 10:59 AM

Saving clips

Say I've got a track on the timeline and i want to reuse certain sections for use elsewhere in the project - is there not a quick way of saving a clip for such later use - either by highlighting it or splitting it and putting it into a 'clip' bin so I can then just drag it onto the timeline next time i need it? I'm sure this facility is in Vegas somewhere.

Thanx

ian

David Jimerson May 23rd, 2006 03:08 PM

You can make subclips in the trimmer.

Or, you can just copy/paste the clip from one location to another on the timeline.

I often use what I call a "trough" track -- a video/audio track at the bottom that's muted -- to store clips I might want to use later. I've seen others do this as well.

Arnold English June 18th, 2006 01:02 PM

I Need Basic Vegas 6/gearshift Steps

I've been logging into this site for the last month or so, recieving a lot of valuable info. We've filmed using (2) XL2 (24P 16:9 NTSC). We have Vegas 6 Pro and Gearshift for post production. We're extremely GREEN when it comes to post and we don't want to leave anything out or screw anything up. Can you tell us if we're using the correct steps for post.
1) Open Vegas 6
2) Use the NTSC DV 24P(720X480,23976 fps) template and fill info for New Project, save veg file
3) Go to Gearshift Main GUI and select desired setting
4) Return to Vegas and trim, edit, crossfade, etc..
5) Save Veggie
6) Go to Gearsgift, Render and Shift Gears
7) Burn on DVD
Is that it?

Do you recommend using the VASST scripts for Set Event Length and Crossfade, Trackalizer Installer, and Cuts only Editing?

We need all the help we can get to make this look professional.

Edward Troxel June 18th, 2006 03:38 PM

The XL2 records straight DV. Gearshift is used with HDV footage. Just edit the footage you've captured, render, and burn the DVD.

Arnold English June 27th, 2006 07:42 AM

This isn't pertaining to the original question but another I asked on another site concerning audio effects on the audio track header. I guess I wasn't very clear with my question. The only thing I'm trying to do, is manipulate the voice of some actors.(add a more richer tone) It was shot in a restaurant.
Which Vegas' effect will give me a better chance of doing this? There are (3) to choose from and I don't have a clue of which one to choose or what to do afterwards.

Edward Troxel June 27th, 2006 08:11 AM

There are MANY MORE than three to choose from. There are three automatically added to the audio tracks and they are, essentially, "turned off." Click the add effects button to see many more possibilities and then start experimenting.

Jon Omiatek June 27th, 2006 08:11 PM

Ultimate S with event speed

I am having problems when I select multiple clips, use ult s to adjust the playback rate. It adjusts the size of the clip but doesn't move any of the clips to the end of the clip, basically the overlap. How do I get it to move the clips to the end of each clip without having to manually move them all. I have tried auto ripple(ctrl-L) without any success.

Thanks,

Jon

Rick Alexander June 30th, 2006 07:53 AM

Unwanted Tracks

I am very new to Vegas and have encountered a problem for which I cannot find a solution in the Vegas help files or by searching here. There are two tracks that have appeared in a project and now appear when selecting a new project. One is labeled master, the other video. There is a small section of screen capture at http://home.comcast.net/~tralexan/tracks.jpg. I don't know what the tracks or for and they will not highlight so I can't get rid of them. I would like to know what I did to get them there and, more than anything else, how to make tham disappear!!

thanks
--rick

Mike Kujbida June 30th, 2006 08:31 AM

Quote:

...how to make tham disappear!!
View - Audio Bus Tracks
View - Video Bus Tracks

Mike

Ian Briscoe June 30th, 2006 08:52 AM

Dissolving multiple video tracks

A while back I asked how to fade out a picture wall made up of say 20 small clips. I ddn't want to fade every single clip. I went for the option of adding black generated media above the tracks starting with zero opacity and increasing opacity at the end. That worked fine.

But - how would i dissolve the whole picture wall into another clip - ie not just a fade to colour. I know I can render the picture wall to a new track but won't I lose some quality there?

Thanx

Ian

Rick Alexander June 30th, 2006 08:55 AM

That did it!

Thanks very much Mike!

Graham Bernard June 30th, 2006 09:13 AM

If you have V6 you can open a NEW empty veg project and then IMPORT the "Picture-Wall" veg into it. Vegas6 using Nested veggies as if they were just ordinary media events. Yes, it will import a whole veg! Now that you;ve got that veg into the new veg - nested - you can treat the nested veg just as if it was a rendered out file. PLUS if you wish to re-edit the "Picture-Wall" veg you can right click on it and selected Edit Project - and up it will pop!

Another way is to make ALL the tracks children of a control Parent track and apply dissolves and any FX you wish to the Parent track.

Another way is to affect the "Master" Track which you can view at the bottom of the timeline - if not go View and make sure it is activated.

Think I got that right? . .. . So 3 ways there!!

Grazie

Mark Donnell June 30th, 2006 10:41 PM

Deinterlacing question

I have several events that were accidently shot at 60i. They involve considerable motion, but I would like to convert them to 30p. It appears that Vegas has a deinterlacing utility - what is the correct way to apply it ? Also, how does the Vegas deinterlacer compare to others such as ProCoder 2.0 and other more expensive programs ?

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 1st, 2006 12:39 AM

If you change the speed of the clips that are already on the timeline, Vegas/Ultimate S doesn't change the length of the clips, only their speed. The in-point remains constant. The speed change is through out the clip, so if you're looking to change speed AND length, then your next best bet is to run the script again, changing clip length.

Laurence Kingston July 1st, 2006 06:52 AM

You could try the free Mike Crash deinterlacer, or just use the stock "interpolate" or "blend fields" deinterlacers.

My opinion is that while the Mike Crash deinterlacer or the interpolate method will avoid ghosting, often high motion scenes look smoother with a blend fields deinterlace.

John Rofrano July 1st, 2006 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
If you change the speed of the clips that are already on the timeline, Vegas/Ultimate S doesn't change the length of the clips, only their speed.

Actually, Ultimate S does adjust the length if you check the "Adjust Length to Match" option on the Visual Effects tab but it does not change the event placement so they will overlap or create gaps as the length changes (this will be a good enhancement for a future version). ;-)

Jon, What you can do it use the Editing Tools tab and select Adjust Transition Length and make it 00:00:00;00 (zero). This will move all of events one after the other on the timeline.

~jr

Dean Orewiler July 1st, 2006 07:00 AM

how can i cut out just the picture and no sound

I'm having problems cutting out a picture on the timeline and keep the sound intact....when i cut the pic, the sound automatically is sliced out too...any suggestions?

John Rofrano July 1st, 2006 07:07 AM

Temporarily enable Ignore Event Grouping (Ctrl+Shift+U). This is also an icon on the toolbar. That will let you cut just the video or audio without affecting the other. Then don’t forget to turn it off again otherwise all sorts of things that are grouped will get out of alignment.

~jr

DJ Kinney July 1st, 2006 11:00 AM

Multitrack Audio Question

I was trying to do some multitrack audio recording, but the sound from the top track is recording onto the new track (instead of just playing and letting me record a separate track).

This is probably a simple option that lets me bypass the top track and listen but not record.

I know I've done it before.

Thanks all!

DJ

Jason Robinson July 1st, 2006 11:16 AM

Easy of use

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard
Think I got that right? . .. . So 3 ways there!!
Grazie

The easiest would be the parent track option (in my opinion). You already have a humongus list of tracks so one more won't be a problem. I have had problems with nesting (certain size limits time wise) to nested projects or something like that (could just be somethign wrong with my install of Vegas).

jason

Dean Orewiler July 1st, 2006 11:18 AM

Thank You John !!

I appreciate your quick response....and helpful advice.
Dean

Jason Robinson July 1st, 2006 11:18 AM

their utility

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Alexander
Thanks very much Mike!

I always edit with those tracks off. Since yu brought up the subject, what is their usefullness? I have yet to use them, but that coudl be because I just don't know HOW to use them properly.

jason

Seth Bloombaum July 1st, 2006 11:19 AM

DJ, just a hint.

I think this is a sound card function, not something in vegas. As I recall (fuzzily), depending on the card, you'll find controls for whether an output channel is fed to input channels.

Unless it's getting intermixed at an external mixer...

Don Bloom July 1st, 2006 03:22 PM

If you are referring to the tracks at the bottom of the timeline workspace those are MASTER BUS tracks and they can be very useful and helpful for edting however to get them out of the way simply move the cirsor down to the top of the track and move the entrire track down. It will not disappear completely but it will be moved to the point of not being in the way of editing.

Don

DJ Kinney July 1st, 2006 05:43 PM

You need the master bus tracks to use some video envelopes (like SuperSampling) and for global audio changes, to affect the track of the entire project. So they are useful in that way.

Brian Bechard July 1st, 2006 07:57 PM

Vegas Render Test Blues

I just bought a new Dual Core from Gateway (Intel 940, 3.2Ghz Dual Pros.), ran the vegas render test and I'm getting times around 8min!!! This seems waaaay too long. I've got a Raptor 10K drive for my primary and a 500Gig drive for storage. The machine is not connected to the Web and I have all the background apps disabled. What am I doing wrong? This computer has to be faster than this right? I'm certainly no computer guru, but I'm pretty sure everything is setup to run at at top speed. What am I missing?

Edward Troxel July 2nd, 2006 06:06 AM

Which render test did you run?

Ian Landy July 2nd, 2006 06:49 AM

Reversing the image of a clip?

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to reverse the image of a clip with Vegas 6. Eg: Say if the clip was showing a person walking from left to right in the original clip, can I reverse the whole image so that it mirrors the clip to make the person look as though they are now walking from right to left.

Thanks, Ian

Edward Troxel July 2nd, 2006 07:07 AM

Open Pan/Crop, right-click the image, and then choose the proper "Flip" option.

Guy Bruner July 2nd, 2006 08:33 AM

Are you sure both CPUs are enabled in WinXP?

Brian Bechard July 2nd, 2006 09:18 AM

I ran the dual core render test .veg file found on the vasst website.

Brian Bechard July 2nd, 2006 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Bruner
Are you sure both CPUs are enabled in WinXP?

This may sound stupid, but how would I do that...In the device manager? It looks like both cores are working properly in the device manager. Is this what you mean? Thanks for your post.

Guy Bruner July 2nd, 2006 01:50 PM

Yes, you can check in Device Manager. You can also check in Task Manager. CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up Task Manager and click on the Performance tab. If you have two CPU History charts (side by side), then you are running two cores (this is default, but selectable in the View options). If you want to see if Vegas is using the dual CPUs, pop up task manager while running the render test and watch the charts. If only one chart shows much activity, then Vegas isn't making full use of the dual cores.

Edward Troxel July 2nd, 2006 02:16 PM

8 minutes doesn't sound bad for that test. If you try the older render test file, it would have finished in under a minute.