Out of sync problem????? HELP - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 28th, 2005, 11:48 PM   #16
Major Player

How exactly do you capture DV-AVI from the HDV tape/camera?

thanks

I didnt know you could capture HDV to DV
Brent Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:15 AM   #17
Regular Crew

As I said, most of us are capturing DV-AVI. That means we don't have a HD camera (wish I did but they are too expensive for my needs).

The links posted above by Edward tell you what you need to know. You will have to do some reading and research. Then you can tell US how to do it for the day when we all have HD cameras ;)

pdx10, EOS10D
Steve Roffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 06:08 AM   #18
Major Player

Well, I capture all my DV footage that way too.... however.... I am talking about capturing the TV (ie:tivoing) with my ATI9600 All in Wonder Card. I don't believe I can capture it as non mpeg with my current software. (And I can't record this show again) I want to edit out the commercials, and compress it. I used someones earlier suggestion of using MPEG Video Wizard. It worked great, but now.... when I try to compress it in cleaner or virtual dub, the sound and audio are off in that!
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #19
Sponsor: JET DV

Bryan, your case is totally different. As I said before, using the AIW to capture is simply asking for trouble. Editing in MPEG is asking for even more trouble. Save yourself the trouble and capture DV-AVI via firewire through a convertor instead of trying to use the AIW card.

Brent, I don't have an HD camera so, as Steve said, I capture DV-AVI from my MiniDV source (Canon XL-1, Canon GL-2).
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #20
Major Player

Edward. How do I capture video from my cable line (cable tv) into my computer via firewire? What product would you recommend, that can convert the live TV signal to a firewire connection/cable/card in real time?

I'm wondering if I could record TV into my XL1s using the RCA cables.... But I would need some kind of converter from coaxle to rca. Then I could later capture and edit this footage with ease. Hmmm.. Still, I couldnt schedule this when I was at work.

I am trying another encode right now by different processes. The early recommended mpg programs solved the editing problem, and in fact render the new cut in about two minutes, which is awesome. The hard part is now getting it to encode into Xvid without losing the audio/video sync. I'd say this is more of a general mpg2 problem, than anything in vegas... so perhaps I should post this on another board.

I'm using virtual dub right now to encode it. It looks to be working but only time will tell :)

Thanks for everyone's help on my issue. Hopefully Brent can get some help on his.

(Mpgs suck!)
Old March 29th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #21
Sponsor: JET DV

You have SEVERAL options. First, you need to get the coax to either S-Vid/Rca or just RCA/RCA. From there, you can:

1) Hook it up to your camera, hook the camera to the computer via firewire, and let the camera convert from analog to digital while you capture standard DV-AVI

2) Hook it up to a convertor (such as the Canopus ADVC100), hook the convertor to the computer via firewire, and let the convertor convert from analog to digital while you capture standard DV-AVI

3) Hook it up to a deck, hook the deck to the computer via firewire, and let the deck convert from analog to digital while you capture standard DV-AVI
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #22
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Mitchell : I'm wondering if I could record TV into my XL1s using the RCA cables.... -->>>

it would be foolish to wear out an expensive xl1s capturing t.v. footage.

are you aware that all the major t.v. programs are easily available for free on the 'net? they are already encoded in xvid, ready to burn to a cd.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #23
Major Player

Who do you think is putting them there? In Xvid...
Btw, I got it all encoded. I found the right programs that let me do it, and it works great now. Thanks for everyones help.

I don't see how it would be any more foolish than filming for 45 minutes... And I'd only wear out the heads. That's only a couple hundred for the repair, and it's under warranty anyway. It's not near as foolish as capturing footage from your XL1s to your computer, when you could use a cheap $300 camera... and a "deck" is what I use. That would just be pointless. But I don't think my smaller camera has AV in... but maybe it does. However, I already solved my problem another way, so I don't need to.
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:08 AM   #24
Trustee

just today i dropped my xl1s off at canon irvine to get the drum replaced... the estimate was $380, not "a couple hundred."

i lost irreplaceable footage because of this head failure, no warranty will save you from a sudden failure in the middle of a shoot.

when minidv cameras are going for $250 or less brand new, it's crazy to waste an xl1s on something silly like tv footage that can be downloaded off of the 'net.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:50 AM   #25
Major Player

$380 is a couple hundred to me. Heck, I thought the repairs were more than $500. And you clearly did not read my post AT ALL. Try again.

A) I already said I use a $280 miniDV camera to capture my footage, but I wasn't sure if it had AV in.

B) I already said the problem was solved, so I don't need to "waste" my XL1 on recording it.

C) I asked you, who do you think is putting tv footage on the net for you to download? Is it appearing magically? Because the studios don't do it. It's illegal. There's something called advertisers which pay for the broadcasts, and when those are cut out, it's not very beneficial.

D) An hour of recording on an XL1 is NOTHING compared to how much I use it during a shoot.

E) Sudden Failure of my XL1 is not going to result from using my XL1s to capture TV footage, any more than it's going to happen capturing footage for my movie.

E2) Did you capture TV footage using yoru XL1s? It sounds like you never would... yet yours failed... Are you saying it could fail by just shooting normally? Oh yeah! That's what I'm saying too!

F) You seem like you just want to argue an issue that's already resolved, as if I'm incompetent, and unable to comprehend what you have already said once, and failed to sway me about.
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...