Vegas 6... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 10th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #31
Inner Circle

"I want DTS in Vegas 6 and DVDA 3 !!!!"

I dont..
reason being is that a DTS software encoder is about $2000AUD and licensing the trademarks.. well to tell u the truth i havent been bothered even lookin into that.. i dont understand how they can justify an encoder to be that expensive..

on top of that if u were to be producing DTS, you MUST also provide the audio in either Dolby Digital or PCM, as these are mandatory formats for DVD, whereeas DTS is an elective.

DVDA3 will have a new feature which (as i mentioned in another thread) will make maestro obsolete.
at the moment there are afew issues with DVDA2 and title sets with end actions gettin chapters confused and resetting to zero at every title.. this thing youre wanting to do is possible using title sets, however be aware that the whole dvd structure will need to be based on titles and chapter within titles, as opposed to a singular title which is alot easier to work with.
Things will change though.....

dont forget we're only up to number 6.. theres still along way to go... what i want is to have an Avid Mojo DNA type Hardware accelerator... as oppsed to something like a storm/NX or RTx100...
now that would kick ass.. but then again, if Vegas goes hardware, we have conformity issues to deal with... id rather the flexibility of throwing shit on the timeline and gettin it all done on the fly without fuss... thats the beauty of software :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 02:45 AM   #32
Regular Crew

<<<
"I want DTS in Vegas 6 and DVDA 3 !!!!"

I dont..
reason being is that a DTS software encoder is about $2000AUD and licensing the trademarks.. well to tell u the truth i havent been bothered even lookin into that.. i dont understand how they can justify an encoder to be that expensive..
>>>

Well I would like to be able to handle DTS as well.
I think DTS almost allways sounds better on DVD.
The $2000AUD looks a bit high, found a cheaper DTS encoder from surcode. From their website:

"The DVD version of SurCode DTS, providing similar functionality at 44.1kHz and 48kHz for DVD-Video creation, has dropped to $499 USD."

I don't know about the licensing, but if you could put DTS on your DVD with Vegas 6/DVDA 3 it would rock!
Johan Manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 05:59 AM   #33
Inner Circle

DTS algorythms are very differnt do Dolby.
DTS "sounds better" due to its wide dynamic range and higher bitrate, there is of course the low pass rolloff which cannot be helped which can in fact ruin the delivery, as DTS does have clipping issues.
In lamens terms, although it seems louder, the dynamic range compression is not as tight as DD (which is why it sems louder), therefore causing a wider spread in the sound causing a physical disturbance in the speaker output, in turn may even cause distortion to your output.
DTS is only good if engineered properly

I was looking at getting a nuendo/cubase rig set up for this.. but for the amount of work required... i am still at crossroads...

to be honest, Im happy with DD as it is..
Old April 10th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #34
Major Player

Hello,
It is very possible, as I see it on commercial DVD's all the time..

Mike
Old April 10th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #35
Inner Circle

of course DTS is possible :)
but it must be supplied with a mandatory audio format like Dolby Digital or PCM
Old April 11th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #36
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Jefferson : DVDA3 will have a new feature which (as i mentioned in another thread) will make maestro obsolete.-->>>

I guess that means it's getting register access. If that's not what you're inferring, then Maestro certainly won't be obsolete.

I understand that this can't be commented on, but believe me, if I'm reading your hint correctly and Sony *finally* made this a real authoring tool with a decent amount of flexibility, nobody will celebrate more than me.

-Brent
Brent Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 03:18 AM   #37
RED Code Chef

I hope I can have 4 angles with DVD architect, that would be
sweet to make a DVD that can have angles like:

1. original camera footage

2. letterboxed footage

3. color corrected footage

4. final movie, with effects etc.

That together with multiple audio channels for the different audio
stages would be great to show my family and whatnot on how a/
my movie is/was put together.

I hear that Vegas 6 will get a new button titled " turn this movie
into a masterpiece " <g>

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 12:23 AM   #38
Major Player

You'd have to have a short film with all those angles, eh?
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #39
Inner Circle

I'm just hoping that they sort out the ac3 encoder issue.

I used to have the ac3 encoder (softencode) installed a few years ago for other projects. This is before Vegas could produce ac3 internally.

anyways...

Now, if I were to create a multichannel (we're talking 12 audio tracks) ac3, I get stupidly blown out clips which are clearly glitches within the encode as the rest of the wave is seen to be quite low.

Im actually sending the whole project to my contacts as this has been an ongoing issue.

It's the metadata. DVDA has issues reading metadata within the ac3 and it's driving me insane. It used to only be dvda2 which had this problem, but it turns out that its both. Take out the metadata and the issue is not as profound (two distortions as opsped to 17 with metadata), but it is still there.

This is a MAJOR problem which needs to be adressed. At the moment the encoder is up to V7. Here's hoping version 8 is sorted.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...