Help me encode my video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help me encode my video

I've tried three times now to encode my wedding video. I took the master from the videographer and added my own photo montage and honeymoon video...now I need to render and encode to MPEG for output to DVD. Each time I've done this it encodes the video to an MPEG file just too big to fit on a standard 4.7GB DVD. I'm using a bitrate calculator and I'm setting it to produce a file just smaller than the 4.38 gig capacity of the DVD, but each time the result is a larger file than will fit on a DVD. What am I doing wrong here? The video is 1hr 41min. I want the highest quality I can get, but at the same time I want it to fit on one DVD.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:28 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

First of all, a "4.7 Gig" DVD really holds about 4.35 Gig. So that is your true target size. Next, you must pick a proper bitrate for the length of your video. I have a bitrate chart in issue 9 (or 7 - can't remember which) of my newsletter (link below). Finally, the estimated size is frequently wrong

1:41 would require an average bitrate around 5,600,000 with AC3 audio. That should give you a little room to spare and allow for a reasonable sized menu.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 01:14 AM   #3
Major Player

A rough and ready way to do this that won't take all day with multiple rendering iterations is to render it at a pretty good quality to be, say 6GB, then run it through DVDShrink and compress it to fit on a DVD-R

Cheers.
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:56 AM   #4
Old Boot

Can this be used to create DVDs for DVDA in Vegas?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:33 AM   #5

<<<-- Originally posted by Kyle Ringin : A rough and ready way to do this that won't take all day with multiple rendering iterations is to render it at a pretty good quality to be, say 6GB, then run it through DVDShrink and compress it to fit on a DVD-R

Cheers. -->>>

Kyle, I agree that would be a ROUGH way. You'll end up encoding to MPEG2 (a lossy process) and let DVDShrink recompress it to a smaller MPEG2 (still a lossy process) and will therefore reduce the quality. Better to just encode at the correct bitrate to begin with.

If you don't want to calculate out the proper rates, it would be better to render out to DV-AVI and give that to DVD Architect letting it then perform the encode to MPEG2 at the proper bitrate.
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:27 PM   #6
Major Player

I did say rough didn't I... :D
It doesn't do a full decompress-compress, it just uses the existing compression and trims off some more data to make it smaller (or something).
The new(er) version of DVDShrink does a pretty good job with it's deep analysis, etc, etc business,

Best is to encode it once as Edward said. I don't know if I'd want to render to DV-avi (lossy) then to mpeg (lossy again) though as it's a full compress-decompress-compress cycle using different codecs.

Cheers.
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Would a duel layer DVD be the solution? The only hangup there is I would like write the DVD on an inkjet printable disc, and I don't know of any printable duel layer discs on the market yet.
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #8
Major Player

I guess a dual layer disc would be an option (I don't have a dual layer burner so I don't have experience with this).
I have heard that dual layer compatibility with stand alone dvd players isn't that good at the moment. No doubt it will improve though.

Anyone know more?
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #9

Also, DVD Architect doesn't burn to dual layer at this time.
Old April 4th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Edward,
Can you prepare the DVD to 8GB or whatever, then burn dual layer with nero? would that work?
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:48 AM   #11

I've heard or people doing that. And I've heard claims that it works. I've never tried it myself (I don't have a dual-layer burner at this time). Best I can suggest is to try it and let US know how it works. DVDA will definitely allow it.
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Alright...I've been denied again. I set the my encode to Edwards suggestions and my file was again too big. Then I tried a CBR at 5400b/sec and it still came out too large. I dont have DVDA so I'm exporting the 81 minute MPEG file to NERO for buring. My last two attempts have been with files smaller than 4.38 gigs but when NERO finishes analyzing the file it tells me it is too big to fit on a standard DVD. What gives???
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:12 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Brian, are you using PCM or AC3 audio? What about menus? Static menus usually don't take up much space, but if you've got any motion menus they may be pushing it over the edge. Is Nero nice enough to tell you how much you're over the limit?

Also, is Nero taking your MPEG files and turning them into VOBs, or are you using DVD Architect for that?

...and just for reference, what version of Windows?
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:12 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I second Kyle's suggestion if you are at your wits end. I've had very good results with DVD shrink. I can't see any obvious degradation of the DVD quality as long as you don't shrink by much (>20%). The resulting files burns to DVDs with no problem using Nero and seem to be very compatible with all players I've tried.

pdx10, EOS10D
Steve Roffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #15

First of all, make sure you are using AC3 audio.

Secondly, WHAT tells you it's too big? Are you looking at DVDA's estimate? It's frequently too large. Or are you looking at the actual size of the Video_TS folder?

Thirdly, what kind of menus do you have? My numbers allow for a simple menu structure. However, if you have many menus all with moving backgrounds and/or moving buttons and sound, that could be eating up space as well.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...