So, there's a sneak preview of Vegas 6 out... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 15th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #1
Major Player

So, there's a sneak preview of Vegas 6 out...

Here it is...

Major new features include improved HDV editing including 24p, enhanced multiprocessor support for faster render times and nested projects which can be used on the timeline as if they were any other file.

While having a really fast, cutting edge machine is nice to have if you are doing HDV , it isn't required, our system requirements for HDV are by far the lightest in the industry, so if you have a decent system that handles DV well, you can work with HDV , even on a laptop.

Ensuring that every type of user will be able to use Vegas 6, the Sony development team has added the ability to import and export digital video data via SDI, a feature that was a mere technology demonstration last year at this time. Working closely with hardware company Black Magic, Vegas 6 now supports Blackmagicdesign's DeckLink SDI and HD-SDI boards.

With the new Intel and AMD dual core processors, as well as the multithreaded processors that have been available for the past couple of years, Sony says that software enhancements will significantly speed up rendering times for Vegas 6.

Users of other applications who have always wanted to try Vegas will be happy to know that Vegas 6 now supports AAF (Advanced Authoring Format) import and export. Previously, Vegas had support for EDLs (Edit Decision Lists) and XML (Extensible Markup Language) project interchange, and there was also a third-party OMF (Object Metafile) tool, all of which are still supported.

One standout new feature in the updated user interface is the ability to hover your cursor over a thumbnail of one of the clips in the media manager window, and then a larger, easier-to-see version of that clip enlarges in front of it, complete with a scrub bar. It's a useful idea, particularly if you're rummaging around in a library full of thousands of clips and wondering what it is you actually have.

Another great addition to Vegas is a new monitoring option called Windows Secondary Display. This allows you to feed the program video straight from your timeline via DVI or VGA into another monitor. Besides perhaps eliminating the need to buy a specific (and oftentimes expensive) HDTV monitor for your edit suite, it could also be practical for feeding an HD signal to a client monitor.
Old April 15th, 2005, 08:55 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: So, there's a sneak preview of Vegas 6 out...

<<<-- Originally posted by Jim Lafferty : Here it is...

One standout new feature in the updated user interface is the ability to hover your cursor over a thumbnail of one of the clips in the media manager window, and then a larger, easier-to-see version of that clip enlarges in front of it, complete with a scrub bar. It's a useful idea, particularly if you're rummaging around in a library full of thousands of clips and wondering what it is you actually have.
-->>>

Wow- that sounds quite interesting. Hmmm how much longer for that NDA Edward. Can you spill the beans this weekend perhaps?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Sorry, have a few days yet. Look for a new newsletter early next week.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #4
Major Player

Re: So, there's a sneak preview of Vegas 6 out...

<<<-- Originally posted by Jim Lafferty :
Major new features include
1> improved HDV editing including 24p,
2> While having a really fast, cutting edge machine is nice to have if you are doing HDV , it isn't required, our system requirements for HDV are by far the lightest in the industry, so if you have a decent system that handles DV well, you can work with HDV , even on a laptop.
3> according to Sony Vegas officials, this HDV capability contains significant amounts of new code that was created by Sony developers, and has been enhanced and further tailored specifically for Sony Vegas.
4> the ability to capture, convert to the CineForm codec, edit HDV footage in real time, and then print back to HDV tape. Best of all, it’s all built into the application at no extra cost.
5> we are providing some great technology for those who are sourcing on HDV and need to deliver on HDCAM or Beta.
6> able to take the 1080/60i HDV footage from Sony ’s FX-1 and Z-1 camcorders and convert them to 24p.
7> You’ll be able to render out the streaming version, an MPEG -2, 24p, a Windows Media video—and have that all preset. You just run the script and go.
8> 1080/60i to 24p is not an instant process but it is certainly a function that will take advantage of Vegas 6’s previously-mentioned enhanced dual processor support. while some users will edit their footage in 60i and then downconvert after they’re done editing to get that certain 24p film look, others will choose to edit in 24p. He said, “You could downconvert it. However, it is nice to cut at a 23.976 frame rate. Vegas will handle it either way
9> Another great addition to Vegas is a new monitoring option called Windows Secondary Display. This allows you to feed the program video straight from your timeline via DVI or VGA into another monitor.
-->>>

HOMERUN!!!!
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #5
Trustee

Hmm, hope it's considered minor, or the list isn't complete but I saw nothing about a decent media management system. In fact it's pretty much all about HDV... I think Vegas needs this so terribly badly - if this part hasn't changed, it could be Mac migration for me. Can't wait until we find out more.

Aaron
Old April 15th, 2005, 10:18 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Jim... shame on you for lifting an article by Charlie White over at dmnforums. I'm pretty sure Chris Hurd doesn't approve of plagurism.

here is the link to the 'actual' Sony approved article

http://www.digitalproducer.com/artic...e.jsp?id=31899

not kosher dude...
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #7
Trustee

Ok, so they've added some new media management - cool. Let's hope it's not new features with as many bugs.

Aaron
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #8
Major Player

I posted the link... ???

edit: ha! that was just a matter of the wrong "copy/paste" cycle -- fixed now
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:43 PM   #9
Trustee

Jim, the link actualy goes to your profile on DV.com ;)

Aaron
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #10
Major Player

As if I would "lift" anything so obviously not mine. Get a grip, will ya ;)
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #11
Inner Circle

i aint sayin anything unitil i see it on the sony webpage......
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 03:02 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Sounds neat--i'm definetly going to upgrade. I would have liked more explainations though (they didn't explain what tape scrubbing was)

Too bad there were no DVDA tid-bits....
Van Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #13
Inner Circle

van, believe me, the upgrade $$ is worth every $$ as for DVDA... that in itself is worth the upgrade.. ;)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:51 PM   #14
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Jefferson : van, believe me, the upgrade $$ is worth every $$ as for DVDA... that in itself is worth the upgrade.. ;) -->>>

Agreed!
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Edward, damn I hate keeping this a secret.. LOL

I guess your lucky though coz you're there in the thick of it, while i have to wait for newmagic to get back to me with my copy!!! ARGH!!!!!

the wait is killing me!!
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...