Vegas 6 -- Does it support DVCPRO HD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 18th, 2005, 06:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Vegas 6 -- Does it support DVCPRO HD?

In light of the new Panny camera, is there a codec included? I'm not worried about the program handling the footage--as it handles... well, anything really, but is there a codec? Can anyone in the know answer this now?
Old April 18th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #2
Trustee

I would imagine it doesn't include it - yet. The HVX isn't out until Q4. I'd imagine that Vegas will support it by then. What that means for me is that I possibly won't upgrade Vegas until I'm sure as the HVX is looking to be my next camera later in the year.

Aaron
Old April 18th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm basically in the same boat.

Unless there's a real shocker of a camera out there that no one is aware of yet, the HVX will (provided it lives up to the hype) be my next camera... and who wants to blow $300.00 on an upgrade if you end up having to switch to AVID, or FCP in 9 months? *Hint, Hint*
Old April 18th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Same boat for me...I'll be switching to Avid unless Vegas has DVCPRO HD support.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:08 PM   #5
Inner Circle

no it doesnt support it..
MXF is also XDCam format, and at this point in time Vegas doesnt support it..

no word as to whether it ever will either.. :(
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #6
Trustee

Remember MFX is just a file wrapper.

Vegas would still need DVCpro50 decoding abilities, just as it would need IMX decoding abilities to read MXF files from the PDW530.

I'm going to contact Sony on the suggestion I might be able to put myself forward as a beta tester for MXF capabilities. Hey, I know it's a long shot, but its worth a try. Anything to speed up their release of this ability!
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #7
Major Player

The question is....does Sony even WANT to support a Panasonic codec? Seems crazy...but Sony is notorious for leaving things out for their own perceived benefit (ala, no 24p or 30p on their sub 10k cams.)
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:16 AM   #8
Trustee

It is a possibility, but remember that Vegas was one of the first editors to be able to edit at 24p when the DVX100 came out.

Given the uptake I imagine the HVX will have I think Sony would be absolutely stupid not to support it. They would stand to lose more people to Avid or FCP, and I imagine Premiere. Ao I think they will choose the best option will be to support it. Now the REAL question is whether Panasonic would like to license their DVCproHD codec to a Sony product!
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #9
Inner Circle

As an AVID user, I think I have some insight into this. You guys should remember that SONY has a "High End" product to compete with AVID.. the XPRI system. It even mimics the Avid interface. The question in a situation like this, is more about stealing from their own high end, rather than competing with other similar apps.

A lot of the features in Avid Xpress Pro, were locked out (they were in the code, just innaccessable) until similar features showed up in FCP. THEN Avid would unlock the features, that already existed on the high-end products. Every step FCP took, was a blessing to Avid XpressPro Users.

AVID's recent purchase of PINNACLE, gives them more than fifty percent of the overall NLE market share. I think, from a marketing standpoint, that it would benefit VEGAS to emmulate their high-end product, XPRI. That way, they would be training the prosumers to use their broadcast line. But then, If I was a marketing genius, I'd be rich.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #10
Major Player

I agree with Richard.. sony positions Vegas as a prosumer solution, no matter how many people like it as a DV25 editor... it will always be crippled.. Look at the "Gurus" no offence, but none of these guys have a long history is broadcast video or film. They are mostly wedding/event guys who have some programming knowledge, some of them come here to Vegas in retirement! Fine, but clearly not cut from production cloth. Vegas is a prosumer editing solution, still, because that's what Sony wants.

Even that article spot posted about Nightline... notice it got pulled right away. I've worked with the Nightline crew for 25 years, since Kopple started and used to use Chicago as an extention in the 80's. Let's look in two years and see what NLE they're using, in the mean time, don't use ABC for advertising purposes, an insult.
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #11
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

V6 at the moment does not support dvcpro50 codec ...

however if you have a decklink card you can get your dvcpro50 tapes into Vegas same with any other format including dvcpro100 (SDI in and it will use the BM codec's)

note the dvcpro50 codec is highly compressed .. excellent file size but not the best at repeated rendering ..

you can get info on it and many other codec's at

http://codecs.onerivermedia.com/ for dvcpro50 click on 4:2:2 C

"MXF is also XDCam format, and at this point in time Vegas doesnt support it"

you can drop a XDCam (mxf) clip into Vegas 6 TL and it will play/edit it TODAY !! though i don't see it listed in the offical release = it will play/edit the clip.
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 03:05 AM   #12
Trustee

John, yes I had wondered what had happened to the Nightline article. Quite suspect.

Don, unfortunately, despite Ed Troxel seeing quite clearly a version of Vegas 6a Build 99 importing xdcam mxf files, I'm afraid that no matter how much I try I cannot drag mxf files onto the timeline.

Sony have said it was a technology demo, and others have said that this feature isn't very far off. I hope they're right as I desperately need this function.
Old April 21st, 2005, 09:06 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Simon, Cineform has stated they will support capturing DVCPROHD into their format, claiming it will handle multigenerational rendering better than Panas codec, along with smaller file size and less cpu overhead. If this is true, you at least have a 3rd party option that already works great with Vegas. Maybe not the best answer, but one way or another, Vegas users will not be locked out of the DVCProHD market.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 09:39 AM   #14
Trustee

Hmm. That would kind of defeat the whole point of being able to shoot and edit in a totally NLE way.

I just don't see what use the Cineform codec will be. Once you've copied the clips from P2 over to your hard drive, its very easy to turn these into YUV or whatever codec you want. Using a Cineform codec means still using the old 'play back the camera' capture route. Completely going against the whole idea of P2 workflow to begin with.
Old April 21st, 2005, 09:59 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Well, unless you are going render back to the P2 (which you won't) It's really just all the same. I don't see any reason the transfer/conversion couldn't be faster than 1x realtime. Even though Avid does/will support the pana codec, they are recomending editors convert to their new HD Codec for lower overhead and better rendering quality.

Like I said, not the best answer, but still doable.

Besides I'm beginning to view the Cineform codec as a viable option for archiving footage. Because it reduces file size, you could copy projects and source to DVD data disks instead of tape or HardDisk. Just a thought.

If Sony is adding XDCAM MXF support and the users all become squeaky wheels, I'm sure they will provide Pana MXF support in a way you would prefer, reading directly from the card into the timeline. We just all have to make it known that feature is very very important.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...