Help! Why is my Vegas 6 rendering SLOWER than 5?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 18th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #1
Wrangler

Help! Why is my Vegas 6 rendering SLOWER than 5?!

Did some MPG2 renders tonight and timed them in both programs. Vegas 6 was slower every single time by several seconds in a minute or less render.

Am I missing something- everyone seems to be seeing INCREASED render performance?! I will note one thing- when I went to render out my first MPG2 from Vegas 6 it never asked me to connect to the net to "register" the MainConcept encoder like it did in Version 4 and 5.

Is it possible it's still using the Vegas 5 encoder?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

in the preferences tab u can allocate how u manage cpu.

Dejavu man... i swear i just saw a similar post to this on the sony forums??? or am i imagining it ?? god i need sleep...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson

Dejavu man... i swear i just saw a similar post to this on the sony forums??? or am i imagining it ?? god i need sleep...
Are you talking about the number of threads to allocate to rendering? Or something else?
Robert Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:12 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:

Nope, I posted this question on 3 different internet forums. I'm a bit irrate. I dumped $200 yesterday- and one of the big new features I was looking forward to was the increased rendering performance. Ironicly I've seen the exact opposite.

I haven't gotten an answer yet from anybody about it and it seems I've found a bunch of people on the Sony forum that are experiencing the same thing- decreased rendering performance in 6.
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

strange...
im still using V5 until this V6 engine is a lil more stable, as im gettin constant crashes, so i cant help at this time im afraid..
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
strange...
im still using V5 until this V6 engine is a lil more stable, as im gettin constant crashes, so i cant help at this time im afraid..
Yeah do what I do. Leave your previous version installed until the first or second build.

I have confidence in the fact Sony will patch it up pretty quick. I'm just dissapointed because I was expecting something I didn't get. Mark Foley confirmed on his rigs, that his Dual Processor machine is now blazing fast, and his single processor machine is slightly slower. I might be able to tweak the performance by changing the "render threads" but I don't understand what they are or how they work yet- I haven't seen any literature on them.
Old April 19th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #7

sony specifically states that 3rd party codecs won't render any faster if they're not multi-threaded.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens
sony specifically states that 3rd party codecs won't render any faster if they're not multi-threaded.
I haven't done a specific test, yet, but just from putzing around last night I got the feeling that rendering a preview was slower. I was also playing around with a nested project, and had two projects open at once, so that might have had an impact.

I'll try to do a test tonight. I have the same project in V5 and V6, so I can try that.
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #9
Regular Crew

OK, my test is complete. The project is a 7:36 long song from a concert; the source files are on a firewire drive, the target was a local drive. The target format was DV. There was color correction applied, as well as some transitions across the cuts. Both projects were identical; I pulled up a backup of the V5 project and had already saved a V6 copy last night.

V6: 30 minutes

V5: 33 minutes

This is on a single processor 2GHz P4, 512MB RAM, no hyperthreading.

No real speed-up, but no slow-down, either. I'm satisfied that V6 is no slower.
Old April 19th, 2005, 08:59 PM   #10
Inner Circle

hey glen,
I hear ya mate..
funny thing is i still have vegas4 installed as its the only app that will alow me to import QT files to the timeline, whithout the need of having me go and buy an "upgrade" of quicktime pro. once i have the QT files there, i render out to avi then throw then in Vegas 5.. :)

As for version 6, i cant get anything happening with mine.. i cant even import media.. i dont know if its the fact im actually running V5 while i launch v6, but that shouldnt happen anyway..

i think some more work needs to be done with V6...
on top of that, i was hoping for some new filters and transitions... maybe a alpha loadable cookie cutter or a colour match filter or auto white balance.. :(
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #11
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
hey glen,
I hear ya mate..
funny thing is i still have vegas4 installed as its the only app that will alow me to import QT files to the timeline, whithout the need of having me go and buy an "upgrade" of quicktime pro. once i have the QT files there, i render out to avi then throw then in Vegas 5.. :)
Peter, Vegas 5 and 6 also allow QT *WITHOUT* QTPro. You do need one of the newer versions (6.x???) and do the custom install taking special care to make sure the Authoring Tools have been selected.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:13 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Hey Ed, i have QT5 installed, but when i try to import .movs to V5, V5 tells me i need QT6...
im not prepated to pay another hundred bux or so for a codec i already have and despise, however use as i work with alot of mac heads...
I dont see why Sony did this.. but i guess again it could be a DX issue.. i might be wrong..
Old April 20th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #13
New Boot

I've always been able to import movs to Vegas 5. I think you just need to upgrade the player with "authoring tools" selected during the install-it's free.
Mark McKelvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #14
Trustee

Likewise, I've never bought Quicktime pro and have always been able to import .movs into Vegas. 4, 5 and now 6 is seems (demo only for me)

Aaron
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #15
Sponsor: JET DV

Peter, you don't have to buy ANYTHING. Run the QT6 install, choose CUSTOM, and then pick EVERYTHING. Nothing at all to buy - you just need QT6.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...