Degraded Image When Applying Effects and Titles at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 26th, 2005, 06:01 AM   #1
Trustee

Degraded Image When Applying Effects and Titles

Whenever I used Vegas 5 and prior versions, I could always view my clips with their applied titles and effects sharp and clear on a 13 inch JVC monitor patched through my small Sony camcorder. Now, all of a sudden, when I apply a simple title or a simple color correction, I have such incredible resolution loss and picture degredation that I cannot help to think I knocked a setting out of whack. I always kept the dynamic ram preview at 16 MB. Then, after reading DSE's Instant Vegas 5, I changed the dynamic ram preview to it's max, 1919 MB. Well, that didn't improve the monitor image on bit.

Did I do something wrong with settings? Why is my monitor picture so degraded when apply titles and effects to clips on my timeline?
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:21 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

You are talking about Vegas 6? 6.0a?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Change your preview settings to "Good (Full)" and I'm sure your quality will return.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:43 AM   #4
Trustee

I am using 6.0a.

Can it possibly be that easy? I am not at my comp right now so I don't know what setting it is at right now. What setting do you think I have it on now? Best or worst? And you are referring to the preview screen icon, right?
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Are you actually rendering to RAM or just playing the timeline?

Keep in mind that Vegas displays things at a lower resolution until you actually render. A preview render is really the only way to know how something will look.
Robert Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #6

Default is "Preview (Auto)".
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Are you actually rendering to RAM or just playing the timeline?

Keep in mind that Vegas displays things at a lower resolution until you actually render. A preview render is really the only way to know how something will look.
Actually Vegas displays at the resolution setting you have set. In "Preview (Auto)", the resolution may be decreased but the framerates can be higher. With "Good (Full)" the resultion will be there but the framerates may be lower. It's all a trade-off as to what's most important to you. For me, I leave it on "Preview (Auto)" unless I specifically need to see a higher quality image (i.e. for color correction) and then I'll bump it up to "Good (Full)" but will always drop it back down when finished.
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #8
Trustee

Ed, You Were Right!

I changed it to BEST (Full) and now I have a clear picture (but the more effects/titles I use, it "stutters" on the timeline play but I guess that's the tradeoff). Thanks again.

Now you mentioned something that needs explaining: What is the difference between higher and lower *framerates* as it applies to your mention of the tradeoff between that and resolution? Also, how do I use the new full screen preview in Vegas 6.0a?
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #9

You're getting "stutters" because it is lowering the framerate to keep up the real-time preview. That's the reason for using one of the lower preview settings. At a minimum, try dropping back to "Good (Full)" which should still help. You might even try "Preview (Full)". By the way, this will NOT affect the final render and if you prerender you'll also get full framerates.

In Options - Preferences, you can select the external preview device now.
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #10
Trustee

Once Again You Came To The Rescue

Thank's Ed.
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:44 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Default is "Preview (Auto)".
Hey Ed:

I have a similar problem. When I set my preview to external monitor and my Preview Device is set to OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394/DV, I get a lot of screen flicker even when set to Preview Auto. If I select the regular monitor in Vegas 6 or the Windows Secondary Display, it works flawlessly.

When I open up the same projects in Vegas 5, they play perfectly on the IEEE Monitor?
Ray Sigmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I am using a Pinnacle Moviebox DV as my device. Is anyone else using one with V6 by any chance and NOT having any problems?

I am also curious what converters others are using? I was looking at the Canopus ADVC-300 and admiring the unit.
Ray Sigmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #13

According to things I've seen on the Sony forum, they are looking into this issue.
Old April 29th, 2005, 06:01 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks Ed

:-)
Ray Sigmond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...