MTS files vs Vegas 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 25th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

MTS files vs Vegas 7

Hi guys,

I just bought a Lumix GH1, the HD video files are MTS type, I'm not used to working with those, I used to have a Sony HDR-FX1 and the HD video files are M2T type.

I have Sony Vegas 7 for my HD editing, but it dosent recognise the MTS files...

What is the most fluid/effective way to go?

thanks in advance

db
Donald Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Upgrade to 9? Or use something like NewBlueFX AVCHD Upshift?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Donald

You also need to look at your computer specs before trying to edit raw AVCHD files. A DuoCore will handle MTS files with a bitrate up to around 9mbs but struggles after that and you really need a QuadCore machine or higher to edit MTS with a higher rate!!

I have Upshift and it does an excellent job!! It's the cheaper option at $49.00 too!! and produces an M2t file at 50mbs that Vegas 7 handles very comfortably!! They have a trial version on the VAAST site so it's worth doing some comparisons!!

I upgraded to Vegas 9 AND got Upshift as my DuoCore struggles hard with even 13mbs video files. However Vegas 9 has some great improvements too and behaves pretty well!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ok so here's what I did,

I know vegas 9 was the easiest solution but it would require me changing my computer because I don't meet the requirements. Also I dont have alot of money (buying vegas 9 and a new PC = $$$) so I searched the web for another option, here's what I found.

A free programe called, Free AVCHD converter, fairly simple. converts the MTS files in AVI/MPG/WMV and a couple other types. you can also choose the size/fps/bitrate/audio bitrate. but that's it

Now I can still use Vegas 7 hurray! I just have to convert the MTS files before and import them after, which seems to be working ok exept for one thing...

I think I'm having de-interlacing problems. I'm not sure what to do about it, here's a still frame (PNG)
Attached Thumbnails
MTS files vs Vegas 7-image0.png  
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I have Upshift and it does an excellent job!! It's the cheaper option at $49.00 too!! and produces an M2t file at 50mbs that Vegas 7 handles very comfortably!! They have a trial version on the VAAST site so it's worth doing some comparisons!!
Chris
I have Upshift as well and well, maybe I can't figure out the best way to use it, I tried the best settings and all but it hurts the quality too much!

So I went with Neo Scene and the results are superior.

My new system (Core I7) can do the MTS files just fine but the color quality is better when I use Neo Scene! Probably has to do with the way it converts the color in the files. My foggggy memory doesn't remember what you call that at the moment. 4.2.2? or whatever?

Anyway, must be bedtime... Snore... LOL...

Danny Fye
VidMus Video - Music Productions
Old September 27th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Danny

Well, I also have Main Concept Transcoder (it's only for Panasonic files unfortunately) and I shot some MTS footage and made a DVD using Transcoded MTS to AVI, Upshift MTS to M2t using the default setting (50mps and a GOP of 1) and finally RAW MTS

Each clip was then rendered to SD and popped onto the DVD and I, with two friends, watched all three identical clips on a brand new 42" LCD HDTV

The Raw files had the edge BUT only because we had two other clips to compare it to!!! Funnily, the Upshift had the nicest colour. However!! (and this is important) If you or anyone else had watched any of the clips on their own I would defy anyone to immediately say..."Yes, that's transcoded AVCHD, I can see that it not the original file"

Seriously, don't go too much overboard on the quality issue!!!! My transcoded AVCHD to Widescreen AVI looks awesome on any TV and at the moment I'm transcoding all my wedding footage before I edit and the bride is more than happy!!!!

Also by transcoding from AVCHD to another HD format you still have the problem that the file is still interlaced video with Upper Field first and if you are going to DVD then you need lower field first ..this means you have to de-interlace first!!!

Donald...that's probably your problem!! In your project properties, you need to put the de-interlace setting to "Interpolate" and change the Render Quality to best ...that's what often causes the quality drop.

I will watch your results with interest!!!

Chris
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Ok Chris

project properties : Interpolate
video rendering quality : best

after watching a rendered clip I still have the exact same de-interlacing problem.

I don't know if this helps but for your information the camera I used to film the clips supposely films in full HD (1080P) now I'm not a pro but why are we talking about de-interlacing if it's progressive?
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Donald

I didn't know that so in your case you need to leave the de-interlace setting as "NONE"

When you render, Vegas will by default interlace it unless you tell it not to!! If you are watching it only on your 'puter or making an online video then render as progressive in you custom render settings. You will get interlacing lines if you watch the clip on your computer but a TV will handle the interlacing lines normally.

Chris
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Here's a question Chris (or anyone reading this)
When I watch my ruff footage (after being converted from MTS to MPG files) when I pause it I can see the de-interlacing problem is already there, before I even import them for editing. can this be fixed in some way?

I sent a question to the makers of the HD converting program, to know if their program does only interlaced footage or progressive also.

I also tried what you told, setting the de-interlacing method to NONE and it dosent change anything.
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Donald

It sounds like the conversion is messing around with the interlacing which can happen if you are downsizing. However it seems like to are producing the same size clip ???

I know that in UpShift you have an option to leave the interlacing as it is or transcode as progressive. If you are sure that you did in fact shoot progressive then there is no reason that the transcoding software should add interlacing unless it tells you to!! Most, by default, will leave the footage alone. In UpShift you can definately leave the interlaced setting as "copy from input" which means if you have progressive footage, it will stay progressive!! If the new HD file is progressive then Vegas doesn't have to have any de-interlace settings at all.

It might be an idea to make sure that you have the correct project properties by clicking the folder icon in Project properties and opening one file and let Vegas choose the correct template???

Let us know what happens?????

Chris
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Ok so here's where I'm at.

The problem is obviously the conversion, I downloaded the trial version of Cineform Neo Scene, The first test I did seems to fix the de-interlacing problem, so the first conclusion : Do not download "Free AVCHD Converter" for your MTS files, it dosent work properly and dosent have the Frame rate option.

Now, after converting the first MTS file with Neo scene, I noticed that the AVI file wasent very fluid, ok I know it's 24p but it seems to be a bit choppy, can it be my video card?

Also, Is this normal?? my original 12 seconds MTS file is 22mb and the converted AVI file is 107mb!!!!! what??

The HD SLR camera I just bought (GH1) was more or less just for testing, I'm probably gonna return it this week, The images are stunning, the depth of field amazing, really looks good, ok the sound is worthless and you need a field recorder but I think it's just too early to buy these HD SLR photo/video cameras, I feel as if we are test dummys and the companys are testing us, a standard will soon be agreed on and all the first models will be quickly obsolete, it's very tempting but personaly I think it's a whise choice to wait a couple of years. Isint that a basic rule in life in general? never buy the first models, but that's only my opinion, I don't do this for a living.
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Here's the final HD WMV file I uploaded on Vimeo, its a 41 sec clip of 28mb.
Is it choppy to you? please tell me what you think...

Testing the GH1 on Vimeo
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Donald

Looks fine to me!! No choppy footage at all. Maybe the server was a little busy when you tried it???

Chris
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #14
Regular Crew

The Pavtube MTS converter works great. The result is fine and the workflow Is easy.

How to convert Lumix AVCHD Lite to MPEG-4 MP4 and H.264 MP4 formats?
Hale Nanthan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...