Film look with Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 1st, 2005, 05:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Film look with Vegas?

Hello again everybody!
I want to share some experience with some of you guys who uses miniDV cam. I tried anything to process my miniDV videos with Vegas 5 and 6 so that to get film looked result, but unsuccessfuly. I tried applying so many combinations of effects and filters, red so many manuals and tutorials about that matter. Also tried MagicBullet Movie Looks, etc.,etc. and the result is so far away from any kind of film look. Even the quality becomes worse at all. I know that miniDV is difficult for film look making, that's why I want to ask if somebody wants to share his video grabs just to let me see if the look is like film.
Also,is there any reason if the timeline is set 24p or 25p for final render out to pal svcd or pal dvd? Give me some examples for best settings,please.
Please for your help and suggestions!!!

Last edited by Rob Lohman; May 2nd, 2005 at 04:10 AM. Reason: wrong title
Plamen Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:12 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Plamen: I've renamed your thread to better indicate what you are looking for.

What exactly is the "film look"? People have different answers to that question.

Film "look" isn't just a bunch of filters, most people agree to that. It is a good
story, good acting, good camera work (compositing), good lighting (very
important!), good editing etc.

There are ways to get DV to look more like film. I suggest you take a look
at our film look forum and read as much as you can. There will be samples
in that forum of people who have done a film look for you to look at.

Most people seem to like the way Magic Bullet creates a film look.

What camera did you use to record this footage with?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for reply,Rob! My miniDV camera is JVC GR DVL520A,it is very good in its class. Of course,the film look is not exact terminology. The most I want to know is how to get 24p film motion when I have to render out to PAL /25p/? If I render out to DV AVI 24p and then to PAL DVD or PAL SVCD,the look is so strobed because of 24p-25p loss. I hope you understand what I mean. Anyway,thank you very much!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Also, where is that film look forum, I don't know it? Any link???
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:31 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plamen Petrov
Also, where is that film look forum, I don't know it? Any link???
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=34
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:28 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Plamen, you can see an example of what I've down with Vegas at:
http://www.glennchan.info/Proofs/dvi...comparison.mov

That wasn't shot on mini-DV but DVCPRO, which is a very similar format. The camera used is a Panasonic 200-series DVCPRO camera. The most equivalent mini-DV camera would be an XL1/XL1s or the low end of Sony's DSR series or the JVC shoulder-mount camera (DV5000 or something like that). 1/3" CCDs, a few generations old, mediocre Fujinon lens (in that clip you can see the zooming effect during the rack focus).

I didn't apply film-like motion, although on a computer screen you won't be able to tell the difference. For PAL, de-interlace your footage to get film-like motion. VIEW THE RESULTS ON A TELEVISION SET. In Vegas, right click --> reduce interlace flicker. Go to file, properties, set the de-interlace method to blend fields. This will cause a slight loss in vertical resolution. Get Mike Crash's de-interlace filter at http://mikecrash.wz.cz/ for better vertical resolution.
http://mikecrash.wz.cz/
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

That side by side comparison is pretty astounding.

Is there a tutorial or breakdown as to what you did to achieve that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan
Plamen, you can see an example of what I've down with Vegas at:
http://www.glennchan.info/Proofs/dvi...comparison.mov

That wasn't shot on mini-DV but DVCPRO, which is a very similar format. The camera used is a Panasonic 200-series DVCPRO camera. The most equivalent mini-DV camera would be an XL1/XL1s or the low end of Sony's DSR series or the JVC shoulder-mount camera (DV5000 or something like that). 1/3" CCDs, a few generations old, mediocre Fujinon lens (in that clip you can see the zooming effect during the rack focus).

I didn't apply film-like motion, although on a computer screen you won't be able to tell the difference. For PAL, de-interlace your footage to get film-like motion. VIEW THE RESULTS ON A TELEVISION SET. In Vegas, right click --> reduce interlace flicker. Go to file, properties, set the de-interlace method to blend fields. This will cause a slight loss in vertical resolution. Get Mike Crash's de-interlace filter at http://mikecrash.wz.cz/ for better vertical resolution.
http://mikecrash.wz.cz/
Chris Trainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:11 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hey Chris,
Unfortunately there is no tutorial for that. If there is enough demand I can get off my ass and make a tutorial.

OR

If you post up a (bunch of) still images (lowest compression JPEG would probably be good) I could bounce a .veg project back to you with a color graded version.

2- For that comparison I used different settings and filters for each shot. So there's no easy way in a post to describe what happened.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:07 AM   #9
Major Player

I have good results with the Magic Bullet Editors for Vegas. (The MB MovieLooks is the free demo that comes with Vegas, isn't it? The Editors version is the full version with a lot more options). Check for instance the screenshots at http://www.orphicfilm.nl/html/2005-test.html .

25P or 24P isn't any big difference. If you shoot with PAL, go for 25P. Unless you want to transfer your footage to real film for a cinema, but then you want to go to a professional transferhouse to the job.

I think Vegas 6 offers some 25P conversion on the fly as a new option. Check the www.vasst.com website to find out about it.
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Glenn,

I'm all for a basic tutorial on that - it looks awesome in comparison to the original. I understand each shot was filtered different, but some basic info on the filters used as a whole is better than nothing!

Thanks
Brandon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #11
Major Player

Peter what magic bullet filter did you use i haven't seen one look that good before!
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #12
Major Player

Hi Evan, I used several standard MB presets (one for each screenshot), without any tweaking of the parameters. What you see is: Curahee, Bleach Bypass, Bronze and Sharp. Bronze is a difficult one, it makes the picture a lot darker so it's not suitable in all cases.
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
I'm all for a basic tutorial on that - it looks awesome in comparison to the original. I understand each shot was filtered different, but some basic info on the filters used as a whole is better than nothing!
Ok I plan on doing a tutorial but here's some basic info:

I used the color curves filter and did the "s" thing. There were lots of highlights in the picture, so I had to tweak the top part of the curve by adding an additional point and not making it so flat there.

Next step: Color corrector filter, saturation at 1.694
Next: Saturation adjust, amount -0.2020
center 0.296
spread 1
low 0.34
high -0.3260

Superimposed layer (adds diffusion):
the video contains the same filters... TIP Hold crtl and move a clip with your mouse to copy the clip onto an upper track.

Track opacity = 50%
Gaussian blur added on top
Used secondary color corrector to isolate flesh tones. Alpha = 0

These were track FX... color corrector first, then gaussian blur (alpha box checked).

In another veg, I used secondary CC on skin tones to isolate them. Then I blurred them or something, and brought them back into the project as takes to the clips.

Some shots use simulated graduated filters.
Add a color gradient to an upper track.
Set compositing mode to ?dodge?
Adjust track opacity to change strength of effect.

Some shots used secondary color correction to bring down the yellow in the actresses' teeth.

Last edited by Glenn Chan; May 6th, 2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Glenn,you are great!Thank you so so so much for your help! I will try it very soon. Of course, it would be nice if you write a tutorial with some variants included. But also I think that it is a good idea if you attach /even here in the forum as a link/ some veggies with the exact parameters you use.
Thank you once again! I appreciate your expierence!!!
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Yes glenn,

I agree with petrov that you should still do the tutorial, but thanks a million for giving us this much info. We'll be waiting with our eyes glued to the forum for the rest!
Brandon Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...