Why Does Vegas 6 Freeze Regularly? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 21st, 2005, 06:31 AM   #46
Trustee

Thanks! How do I shut off the media manager in Vegas 6?
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:40 AM   #47
Sponsor: JET DV

Options - Preferences - toward the bottom of the list is the option to turn off Media Manager. You'll then have to exit and restart Vegas.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:06 PM   #48
Trustee

This will sound dumb: What does the media manager do, exactly?
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:29 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Dear Hugh,

The Media Manager is a great tool.

First you tell Media Manager where you keep your video and audio files. (This is easy, some may be in folders on drive C:, some on D:, etc.). The Media Manger will then create a database of all of your clips. It will automatically know which are video and which are audio.

Then, you can add "Tags" to each of your clips. These "Tags" are notes that are meaningful to you. For example, let's say so shot a movie at many different locations. You could have a tag for each location.

Another tag may be the name of the project. I use a tag for each scene and/or series of shots.

You can add as many tags as you want. For example, if a particular actor is in a scene, then you can create a tag with the actor's name. Then you apply the tag to each clip that has this actor or character.

Once you start using this, you will be able to create new tags that are very meaningful to you and your project. Certain tags are already built in.

The tags may be arranged in a logical hierachal order. For example, each scene is part of a project. By assigning a clip to a specific scene, you are automatically "Tagging" the clip as part of the project.

Now, the beauty of this is that when you need to find a clip, you can select one or more tags, and then the Media Manager will show you all the clips that have these tags, regardless of which drive they are on, or which folder they are in!

The days of manually searching for clips are over, if you properly tag your clips!

It is really wonderful to select a few tags and have the Media Manager instantly present you with thumbnails (or a detail list) of all of the clips that fit your criteria. Then you may add these clips to your projects media bins.

In summary, this is a great feature.

I believe that it will be even better in future releases. For example, I have recommended to Sony that they show all of the tags of all clips currently displayed. This will help ensure that all clips are properly tagged.
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:31 PM   #50
Trustee

OHHHH That's like the media pool, then?
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:47 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Dear Hugh,

In my opinion, it is much better than the Media Pool.

I believe that the Media Pool applies to a particular Vegas Project. In other words, it is unique to one Vegas Project.

The Media Manager is system wide; it is not restricted to one Vegas Project. This is a hugh improvement.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 04:13 AM   #52
RED Code Chef

Hugh: a normal 32 bit version of Windows XP should run on that 64 bit CPU
(since it can still work with 32 bit x86 code!). You could even install that
BESIDES the 64 bit XP (do install it to a different drive / partition though!).

This might be a good workaround for the time being? If you have a 64 bit
XP license you are allowed to run XP 32 bit I think. You can then upgrade
back to XP 64 bit when everything is compatible on that platform?

I'm not sure a move to PPro (if that supports 64 bit) is good due to your
large number of stills you have in the project (which seems to be one of
the areas Premiere never worked well with).

Good luck with all the mayhem!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:35 AM   #53
Trustee

Thank you to everybody! What a comfort knowing I can get the answers when I need them! I really want to stay loyal to Vegas because its served me well since version 3.0. I think my culprit is the photos on the timeline.

To Dan: Was your response about the "hugh" improvement tongue-in-cheek? Hahahahaha
Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:44 AM   #54
Trustee

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Use Vegas Again...

To test my theory about render freezes caused by too many high resolution pictures on the timeline, I attempted to render a 32 second interlaced clip using the 24p 2-3 pulldown.

The render stopped halfway through then the entire program just shut down. Disappeared. As if I had clicked the exit button. NOW WHAT? I am losing faith here, loyal Vegas users.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:38 AM   #55
Inner Circle

maybe try:
A- breaking up your project.
B- Vegas 5.
C- Turning RAM preview down.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #56
Trustee

Chan The Man

I did all of that. Could the culprit actually be my 64 bit O/S?
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:45 AM   #57
Inner Circle

Why don't you check that?

Install Windows to a dual boot configuration, one 32bit and the other 64bit. Can you do this?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #58
Trustee

Normally I would do that, however, Vegas 6.0 acted up with my last system, Pentium 4, 3.0 ghz hyperthreading, Windows XP Home 32 bit, 2 gig of ram.

Could it be my hard drive? I doubt it. I even tried it with my new SATA drive.

I hate like hell to do this, but I think I may swim over to the Premier Pro 1.5 island.
Old June 24th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #59
Sponsor: JET DV

During all this time, have you contacted Sony Tech Support?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #60
Trustee

Yes. The first time they told me to defrag, shut off all background apps, download version 6.0b. I did that.

The second time they told me Vegas 6 is not engineered for 64 bit O/S.

The third time a fellow told me he had a similar project like mine with over 100 600 dpi pictures on his timeline and that his render locked up as well. Here are the cut and pastes from Sony:

The problem may or may not be related to Windows 64, but we do not currently offer any support when running the software on that OS.

Sincerely,

Brian P.
Technical Support
Sony Media Software
1617 Sherman Ave.
Madison, WI 53704
http://www.sony.com/mediasoftware
http://www.acidplanet.com

Hello,

How many still images do you have on the timeline? Vegas can have problems when you have a lot of high res images like that. Last night I actually put together a montage of about 150 pictures at 600 dpi, and Vegas hung at 52% of the render. I ended up creating a loop region around the first half, rendering that, and then rendering out the second half separately. After which they were stitched together in a new project.

Sincerely,

Brian P.
Technical Support
Sony Media Software
1617 Sherman Ave.
Madison, WI 53704

You are using the 64-bit version of Windows XP? The 64-bit version is not a supported operating system at this time. We have not tested our software with it, and do not offer any support for using it on that OS. Do you have a copy of the 32-bit edition available to use?

Sincerely,

Brian P.
Technical Support
Sony Media Software
1617 Sherman Ave.
Madison, WI 53704

Hello,

Thanks for writing. I sincerely apologize for the lengthy response time. Due to the volume caused by our Sound Forge 8.0 and Vegas 6.0 product launches we have fallen a bit behind on service requests. We have been working diligently to answer as many emails as possible in the order that they were received. I hope you understand and sincerely appreciate your patience. Couple of things to try. First would be find what is running in the background. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del at the same time and you will see a list of the programs currently running (some users will have to hit the "Task Manager" button). Move over to the Processes Tab and click the "Image Name" heading at the top left of this window , you would be able to view these items by alphabetical order by user/system. Once all these items are arranged, look under the User Name column for items that are listed as belonging to your User Account. You would only need to leave running the following;

explorer.exe
taskmgr.exe
Under the User Name "SYSTEM"
System Idle Process
System
smss.exe
csrss.exe
winlogon.exe
services.exe
lsass.exe
svchost.exe
spoolsv.exe

You may have other Users logged into the system and displayed on this list, but make sure you log them off and close down on their processes as well.
How long has it been since you have ran Scan Disk on your hard drive? Try running a Thorough Scan Disk, followed by Disk Defragment to see if you have any drive errors. These tools can be found in Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools.

Do you have any Anti-Virus Software on your computer? Make sure you update this software from the manufacturer, then run a full system scan. If you do not have any Anti Virus Protection, it is suggested to either purchase or download a copy and install it onto your system as a preventive maintenance

When was the last time you had updated your Computer's Drivers from the Manufacturer's Web Site? You would be able search for any newer, updated Motherboard, Sound Card, and Video Card drivers. Also check for any Peripherals that would be installed (i.e. Printers, Scanners, Card Readers). If you have an outdated or improper driver loaded, you may not be using that device correctly and it could potentially be causing problems.

Lower your hardware graphics acceleration.
Go to your control panel -> display -> settings -> advanced -> troubleshooting tab

Disconnect all USB and firewire devices from the system, along with all dongles.

Go into Options and Preferences in Vegas and click on the Video Tab. Change the Dynamic Preview setting to 300 and press Apply and OK.

If the information provided does not completely answer your question, please update your incident so I may further assist you.

Sincerely,
Kimberly K.
Technical Support
Sony Media Software
1617 Sherman Ave.
Madison, WI 53704
http://www.sony.com/mediasoftware
http://www.acidplanet.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...