Timeline Preview in V9 not Showing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 28th, 2009, 04:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Timeline Preview in V9 not Showing

This is driving me crazy, ever since I've switched over to Vegas 9 Pro 32bit the thumbnails previews that are generated in the timeline is not as accurate as it was in Vegas 8. If I have a long clip I get three thumbnail at the beginning, middle, end. Vegas 8 showed a lot more which made it easier to find clips. The timeline zoom also lags, whenever I zoom out with my mouse wheel I have at least half a second of lag on many occasions before the program responds. I never had these problems with Vegas 8, and the thumbnail previews are particularly distressing. Is there a setting that can be tweaked to correct this?
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Options - Prefs - Video - Thumbnails to show in video events:
Change this to All (the V8 Pro default).

The Preview window has a new option called "Adjust Size and Quality for Optimal Playback" that can be disabled by right-clicking in it and turning it off.

BTW, these changes and several others are listed on the first two pages of the manual.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Mike thanks! - I usually only read the manual when all else fails.
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

When installing a new version, it's also always a great idea to read the "Read Me" file as it states all the changes that were made in the new version.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The lag time you refer to is a bug I have found with V9 also and I hate it. I use the up and down arrow keys a lot and sometimes it just takes forever for the program to catch up...very annoying. As I am usually editing fast as possible, I find this lag time unacceptable. I am happily editing on V8 and have pretty much given up on V9 for now.

I am running the RTM version of Windows 7 (the final not-yet-released-for-sale version) and the problems with Vegas 9 are the same as they were with Vista, ableit not quite as bad. When I get my pre-ordered copy of Vista Enterprise around Oct 22 I'm going to play with Vegas 9 again and see what happens.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Jeff the project I'm currently working on sometimes gives me up to 4 seconds lag when I zoom out & that's on a decent workstation. Want to smack the Sony programmer that screwed this up.
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I know, I don't get it. I haven't heard many complain about this particular thing, so while I'm not glad it's happening to you, I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...