DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 6.0b is now available (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/44955-vegas-6-0b-now-available.html)

John Cline May 20th, 2005 02:29 PM

Vegas 6.0b is now available

Vegas 6.0b is now available for download. Looks like the Sony programmers have been working overtime in the four weeks since the initial release. Nice job.

John

Barry Rivadue May 20th, 2005 04:37 PM

Vegas 6.0b

What might the improvements be? Will this help correct a problem users had about overworked processors?

Edward Troxel May 20th, 2005 07:38 PM

All the info is on Sony's site. Here's a direct link to the changes made:

http://dspcdn.sonypictures.com/readm...gas_readme.htm

Here's a direct link to the download page:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...p2.asp?DID=579

Peter Jefferson May 20th, 2005 09:35 PM

"A bug has been fixed that could cause unexpectedly loud output or popping from the LFE channel in a 5.1 surround project when Good or Best was selected from the Low-pass filter quality drop-down list on the Audio tab of the Project Properties dialog."

i wonder if they fixed this bug in version 5...

John Cline May 20th, 2005 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Rivadue
What might the improvements be? Will this help correct a problem users had about overworked processors?

I wasn't aware that Vegas had a problem with overworked processors. Are you talking about to running the CPU too hard? Personally, I want my NLE to squeeze every last bit of performance out of the processor.

John

Barry Rivadue May 21st, 2005 06:35 AM

Yes, that's what I mean--the CPU ran the risk of heating up more, from what I understand, necessitating an upgraded cooling system or something like that. I'll check the Sony site in the meantime!

John Cline May 21st, 2005 08:56 AM

Yes, Vegas v6 has optimized the code for squeezing more performance out of the CPU, which makes Vegas render faster in most circumstances. Simple physics says that if you run the CPU harder, it will get hotter. However, Sony isn't doing anything that will push the CPU past its design limits heat-wise, but it will keep it near the design limits for long periods of time. Of course, any NLE will do this during a render, this is not exclusive to Vegas.

You might want to open up your computer and blow the dust off of the CPU cooler fins every once in a while. If you're running the stock Intel unit that came with your CPU, you may still want to consider upgrading to a higher performance cooler. The ThermalRight XP-90 is a great one.

John

Barry Rivadue May 21st, 2005 04:59 PM

Is it difficult installing a cooler?

Jim Lafferty May 21st, 2005 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Rivadue
Is it difficult installing a cooler?

Depends on the model. Some just screw on, others -- the more problemtic ones -- require a bit of "jimmying" with a flat-head screwdriver. Patience is a virtue -- don't drink a lot of coffee before attempting an upgrade :) I've got two of these, which are a tight fit in my dual CPU setup, but solid performers and very quiet.

Be sure to get good Arctic Silver thermal paste.

Imran Zaidi May 21st, 2005 07:11 PM

Also, before attempting to replace your CPU fan, which can be dangerous if you are not careful, see if the air flow in your entire case is good. You should have at least one fan in the front of the case sucking in cold air, and you should ideally have two fans blowing out the hot air in the back. You should also never encase your computer inside a cupboard of any type unless it is extremely well ventilated. And finally, keep the room cool.

Most CPU fans, unless el-cheapo brand, will do the trick, and what's actually causing the problem is proper circulation. Any fan, if simply moving around warm air, can't do much to cool a cpu.

If you must change your CPU fan, be ever so careful, and make sure to remove old thermal paste and clean with a recommended alcohol pad meant for this purpose before applying the new paste. Also, leave the computer plugged in, but off, so that as you touch the case you are grounding yourself and discharging any electrostatic shock. And finally, be very careful when applying the new fan - most good fans are very tough and unwieldy to put on, and one accidental slip of your weight and crack, there goes your motherboard.

Also, many nice fans these days have adjustable speeds. This can be really nice because if you're doing something intensive, you can turn up the fan for extra cooling, and under normal use, you can turn it down so the noise levels are way low.

Glenn Chan May 22nd, 2005 12:55 AM

You don't need to replace your CPU fan/heatsink. It is designed to work perfectly at 100% load. They typically have lots of headroom, which lets people overclock them. Basically my advice is: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Re-installing the CPU fan/heatsink can lead to new problems if you don't install it following the instructions. Overheating being the most common problems. People need to stop spreading FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt).

Ray Sigmond May 22nd, 2005 07:20 AM

The problem I had with artifacts showing on my external monitor is fixed!!!!!

Yi Fong Yu May 23rd, 2005 09:48 AM

is version b good enough to upgrade from 5 to 6? i've been hearing probs on 6a. been waiting for 6c or 6d at least. is b good enough?

Edward Troxel May 23rd, 2005 09:55 AM

In my opinion, yes. However, the only real test will be for YOU to test it. This was a huge update. Just go look at the changes made in this version, download it, and test it out. If you don't like it, come back and tell us what's still wrong.

Dan Keaton May 23rd, 2005 12:39 PM

I downloaded 6.0b to update my 6.0a copy of Vegas yesterday.

The upgrade was very smooth, I did not even have to re-register.