DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   The Vegas Blur (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/45257-vegas-blur.html)

Don Meers May 26th, 2005 04:02 PM

The Vegas Blur

hello peoples,
Im new to Vegas, although I am reading DSP's book on Vegas5.I have a few questions. Why do My Vegas movies look Blury when there is motion?Is this a progressive setting?
Should I shoot interlaced to get the most flexable footage if Im not sure what the final delivery method will be.ie dvd,tv,internet,film?
I apologise for the newbie questions.Any help would be appreciated.

Edward Troxel May 26th, 2005 10:43 PM

What was your destination format? DVD? MiniDV? VHS? What type (NTSC vs PAL....)? Hard to answer without more information.

Because the TV is interlaced, it can result in motion looking blurry. However, the rendering methods used can also add to that.

Don Meers May 26th, 2005 11:33 PM

hi Edward
thanks for the reply.Final output is dvd.Its a pal timeline(set as progressive) and the footage was shot with an xl1 in frames mode.
thanks

Don Meers May 26th, 2005 11:37 PM

also Edward,im rendering out the footage as uncompressed,pal,progressive files

James Connors May 27th, 2005 07:57 AM

Seems quite a few posts are about what settings to use for what output, could be really useful if someone made a definitive post to sticky with what settings to use in what situation (ie low motion for TV playback, high motion for web playback etc) as I'm sure lots of people would find that helpful.

Edward Troxel May 27th, 2005 08:50 AM

Don, at some point you have to go to MPEG2 to get to DVD. Where are you doing that? What preset are you using if you do it in Vegas?

Brent Marks May 28th, 2005 12:11 AM

make sure to use Constant Bit Rate (CBR)

Edward Troxel May 28th, 2005 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Marks
make sure to use Constant Bit Rate (CBR)

Why? All of mine are VBR and work fine.

Rob Lohman May 28th, 2005 06:15 AM

VBR should yield better quality as well (with proper settings).

Rob Gregory-Browne May 28th, 2005 06:34 AM

I ran into the blurry footage problem until I realized that each track's motion blur settings were set to ON by default. Once I shut them off, everything was crisp and clear.

Don Meers May 29th, 2005 06:30 PM

thanks for the replies guys.A lot of good simple tips especially Robs(turning off motion blur track default)I think james had a great idea about a vegas project/render settings sticky covering different projects ie.dvd,tv,film,web,vbr/cbr etc.On the surface,all these settings seem quite obvious yet when you climb under the hood of vegas,one discovers it has a lot of room for variables.

Patrick Jenkins May 29th, 2005 08:49 PM

Goofy question, where's the motion blur track default setting? (project properties page? you can't turn it off...)

Edward Troxel May 29th, 2005 10:24 PM

Click on the "Bypass Motion Blur" button on a video track header. Now right-click the track header and choose "Set default track properties". All new tracks will now be that way be default.

Patrick King May 29th, 2005 11:14 PM

I must be whacked.

I was under the impression that you had to specifically apply a Motion Blur Envelope to the Video Bus Track in order acheive the motion blurring effect Vegas is capable of producing. Then if you've established a Motion Blur Envelope on the Video Bus Track, the Bypass Motion Blur will toggle the effect on and off for each video track just like the Mute button toggles the display of the track on or off. Vegas doesn't default a motion blur, it has to be applied like any other envelope. In fact the Video Bus track isn't even visible in the default setup, and that's where the Motion Blur Envelope is set and the amount adjusted. Your defaults must be different than mine.

Edward Troxel May 30th, 2005 06:45 AM

No, Patrick, you're not wacked. That button should have absolutely no effect unless Motion Blur has actually been applied to the project. A Motion Blur envelope is added on the Video Bus Track.