DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Viewing individual frames on the Video Track (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/45397-viewing-individual-frames-video-track.html)

Glenn Gipson May 30th, 2005 08:30 AM

Viewing individual frames on the Video Track

How do I have my video track setup so that I can see each individual frame from my video on it? Thanks.

Steve Roffler May 30th, 2005 09:32 AM

You can keep hitting the little "plus" sign at the bottom right of the video window until you reach individual frames. I usually just keep hitting the "up" arrow key. It does the same thing.

Probably also a shortcut but I will have to defer to the Vegas experts out there.

Glenn Gipson May 30th, 2005 09:35 AM

Well, what I am asking is how do you VIEW individual frames up on the ACTUAL time line itself, instead of frames that are simply spaced out on the time line.

Charlie Wilkinson May 30th, 2005 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Gipson
Well, what I am asking is how do you VIEW individual frames up on the ACTUAL time line itself, instead of frames that are simply spaced out on the time line.

Hi Glenn,
Based on what you originally asked, I would've assumed Steve answered your question, but apparently not. I've tried over and over to parse your "clarification", but it's just not making sense to me. Wanna take another shot at it?

-cw-

Patrick King May 30th, 2005 02:25 PM

Glenn,
I'll take a stab at it. Right-click the timeline and select a rate in SMPTE frames to match your video (drop, non-drop, 24p, whatever it is). The timeline numbers are now in hours:minutes:seconds:frames.

Select a point in the video event on the timeline and roll the wheel on your mouse forward (or press the up-arrow key) until the last digit above each frame is successive (xx:xx:xx:14, xx:xx:xx:15, xx:xx:xx:16). You are now looking at individual frames and each press of the left-arrow or right-arrow key will move one frame in the corresponding direction.

This would probably be a good thing for someone to write a script to speed the selection of this view.

Glenn Gipson May 30th, 2005 05:18 PM

>>Wanna take another shot at it?<<

Hmmm. Ok, let me explain it like this. There is an option to NOT have Vegas show each individual frame on the actual TIME LINE. When I first got Vegas, I turned this off. This allows for the program to quickly render out the video time line, therefore speeding things up. My video time line looks something like this:

[frame]---white spacing---[frame]---white spacing---[frame]

What I want to do is have my video time line look like this:

[frame][frame][frame][frame][frame][frame][frame][frame]

No matter how close I zoom in, the white spacing between frames ALWAYS shows up on the video time line. This is the best way I can explain it.

Glenn Gipson May 30th, 2005 05:20 PM

Patrick, I'll take a stab at your directions after my Vegas computer is done rendering. Thanks.

Patrick King May 30th, 2005 07:25 PM

Glenn,

If you see this...

[frame]---white spacing---[frame]---white spacing---[frame]

...you are zoomed in too close, zoom out using the technique I described. Zoom out one mouse wheel click at a time until you see...

[frame][frame][frame][frame][frame][frame][frame][frame]

..with a unique timecode above each frame (e.g. xx:xx:xx:14, xx:xx:xx:15, xx:xx:xx:16).

Edward Troxel May 30th, 2005 08:08 PM

You might try changing the HEIGHT of your video track. Or you can totally turn off the thumbnails in preferences (of course you turn off the wave-forms too).

Patrick King May 30th, 2005 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
You might try changing the HEIGHT of your video track. Or you can totally turn off the thumbnails in preferences (of course you turn off the wave-forms too).

And thats really something I thought would change with V6. How long will Sony continue to take a beating over this issue.