Training DVDs: Kleiner, VASST, Videoguys/Duncan at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 31st, 2005, 01:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Training DVDs: Kleiner, VASST, Videoguys/Duncan

For the absolute beginner:

I have Vegas 6 & DVD Architect 3 (actually, I haven't installed 6 & 3 yet), however, I'm wondering if there is anyone on these boards who can fairly (unbiased) and honestly comment on the strengths and weaknesses of the various DVD training options available. At this juncture I'd be happy with a Vegas 5 and Architect 2 training if that happens to be more robust or applicable to someone starting out. I'm particularly interested in knowing if any one of the available products is exceptional in the area of explaining the myriad rendering options: codec pros and cons whether outputting for DVD, NTSC, PC, film out, wide, 4:3, drop/non-drop, pulldown explanations and why understanding them matters and under which circumstances.

The three products I'm aware of are:

1. Videoguys "Class On Demand": http://www.videoguys.com/COD.html

2. VASST/DSE (appears to be highly regarded, at least in this forum, hopefully that won't skew the balanced reporting)

3. Gary Kleiner: http://www.vegastrainingandtools.com/ *Vegas 6 training set not yet available so I guess it would only be fair to compare it to other V5 training sets at this juncture.

Last edited by Shawn Murphy; May 31st, 2005 at 01:54 AM. Reason: added one minor addition
Shawn Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Based on prior versions (I have stuff from all three), I like Gary's teaching DVD's format/style the best. YMMV. And version 5 will probably be a great start.
Old May 31st, 2005, 08:05 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

As far as I know, here's what's currently available:

Gary Kleiner: Vegas 5/DVDA 2 training (Vegas 6/DVDA 3 update/full versions still in the works)

VASST: Vegas 6/DVDA 3 "update" now shipping. Best to build upon the Vegas 5/DVDA 2 full version.

COD: Vegas 6 full version now shipping. Not sure how much it includes about DVDA 3 but DVD Architect is listed as one of the topics.

While I have not seen most of these, I can say that all will be filled with a lot of good information. I will have to leave it to others who HAVE seen them to determine how well the information is presented.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Shawn,

I cannot compare as I've only used Gary's set. I bought the two-DVD set for Vegas 3 (or V4?, can't remember). Then based on how helpful they were, I pre-ordered the V5 set and wasn't dissappointed when they came.

I viewed the set initially all the way through and learned a great deal even though I've used Vegas for a few years (but only one or two projects a week, and one of those is non-creative, repeatable, and frankly boring; I digress). The best part of Gary's set is being able to cue up a specific section and review a feature that I don't use frequently in my normal workflow. I don't think I was getting my money's worth out of Vegas until I purchase and used Gary's DVDs. You won't go wrong purchasing these, Gary does a great job of not only explaining each feature/tool/menu-option, but he relates it to workflow. I've had many times watching his video where I've said, "ohhhh...that's what that's for!", or "ohhh...that's why I'd use that."

I've heard DSE puts out a quality set of instructional DVDs also, I just haven't used them yet. I did download a video of him providing instruction (at a tradeshow maybe) and thought he did a fine job of covering the topic.
Old June 1st, 2005, 03:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

ok, not a lot to go on, but the votes for Gary's material is very compelling, thanks!
Old June 3rd, 2005, 03:56 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Murphy
I'm particularly interested in knowing if any one of the available products is exceptional in the area of explaining the myriad rendering options: codec pros and cons whether outputting for DVD, NTSC, PC, film out, wide, 4:3, drop/non-drop, pulldown explanations and why understanding them matters and under which circumstances.
Shawn,
I have Gary's V5 DVDs and really like them, plus I used the COD V4 DVDs with DSE. They were just fine, too! Although I haven't watched Gary's DVDs in their entirety, I don't believe this series addresses the particular information you seek.

Go to www.VegasTrainingAndTools.com . You'll see that Gary's got the Vegas 6 Companion for sale (I think it's shipping at the end of this month). Maybe you could e-mail him and ask your specific question.

EDIT: His DVDA3 tutorial is more what you'd want, isn't it. Ship date on that is apx. July 19.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Lorinda, I think I'll ask Gary if he can chime in here (obviously only about his product, but perhaps he can comment on my specific questions here for the benefit of others). Thx again for the feedback.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

First off, thank you for your kinds words about my videos. I am very busy producing the new series.

As for question concerning widescreen, pullldown, etc, these are good topics, and may well wind up in The Vegas 6 Companion, but I can't promise anything at the moment.

Best Regards
Gary
Gary Kleiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 03:47 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Gary, so, what's the current ETA on the V6 companion?
Old June 5th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I have the Vegas 4 Editing Workshop by DSE. It helped me a great deal when I was just getting started in NLEs and Vegas in particular. But I suspect that you wouldn't go wrong with either Gary's or DSE's videos.

pdx10, EOS10D
Steve Roffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I am also interested in this and the Kleiner discs look good to me, but on the vegas editing DVD is for version 4, and then there is a companion for Ver. 5, and a primer and a companion for Ver. 6. I have ver6+DVD. I'm not sure what to buy... Do I need the v.4 editing and then the v.6 companion? thanks for the help. Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Mark Burlingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Yeah, I'm still confused on what to buy as well as I have V6 and no other tutorial DVDs at this point, so, a companion doesn't sound like the way to go. I wrote to Gary about a month ago and thought maybe I should just go with the version 5 and then get some kind of V6 "companion"... but I really want something a little more in depth in regards to the subjects I mentioned, but if it's not available in any specific product/tutorial I'll just read up in addition to what I get.
Old June 6th, 2005, 08:15 PM   #13
Sponsor: JET DV

The Class on Demand full version for Vegas 6 is shipping now. Check out the Videoguys website mentioned above.

Gary has Vegas 4 and Vegas 5 full versions shipping. I know he's working on both a Vegas 6 update and Vegas 6 full version.

Spot/VASST has a Vegas 6 update shipping. Check out the VASST website for full information on their offerings.

Check out the three websites and you can see what is NOW available. There's lots of training there.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
The Class on Demand full version for Vegas 6 is shipping now. Check out the Videoguys website mentioned above.

Gary has Vegas 4 and Vegas 5 full versions shipping. I know he's working on both a Vegas 6 update and Vegas 6 full version.

Spot/VASST has a Vegas 6 update shipping. Check out the VASST website for full information on their offerings.

Check out the three websites and you can see what is NOW available. There's lots of training there.

Edward, thanks for the info. Indeed I’ve actually been to all the sites, however, it's not always clear which products are only supplementary vs a full on tutorial, but more importantly...

"..I'm particularly interested in knowing if any one of the available products is exceptional in the area of explaining the myriad rendering options: codec pros and cons whether outputting for DVD, NTSC, PC, film out, wide, 4:3, drop/non-drop, pulldown explanations and why understanding them matters and under which circumstances."
Old June 7th, 2005, 01:01 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Shawn,
I am not expert, but I would think that those things you are interested would be much better covered in a book rather than a video tutorial. The pros and cons of codecs are largely mathematical algorythm differences and I would think with a bit of research you could determine which ones you are most interested in and then render the same video clip using the ones you wanted to explore and find out everything you needed to know, first hand. Just a thought. Also, I may be wrong, but those things are also not Vegas specific so a more general text on NLE and video rendering might be more appropriate. Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Mark Burlingame is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...