DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How can I select All Events on All Tracks to End of TL? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/456641-how-can-i-select-all-events-all-tracks-end-tl.html)

Paul Cascio September 30th, 2009 06:21 AM

How can I select All Events on All Tracks to End of TL?

There is a right click item that lets you select All Event to End of Timeline, but it's only for the track you are on. If I want to move all events, is there a shortcut to select Everything to the right of the cursor?

Mike Kujbida September 30th, 2009 06:57 AM

Auto Ripple would be the tool to use here.
Make sure that "All Tracks, Markers and Regions" option is selected in the dropdown box next to the toolbar icon.

Edward Troxel September 30th, 2009 07:04 AM

Ripple can be useful but I find it troublesome. Instead of using auto-ripple, instead I will use "Post Ripple Editing" where I have auto-ripple turned off but can manually ripple *IF* I choose to do so.

However, most of the time, I use a different option. Instead I use a script that "selects everything to the right of the cursor." There's some free ones out there that do that. I happen to use Excalibur which will do that but also has many more selection options (i.e. if there's a clip under the cursor, do you or do you not include that? Or do you split it at the cursor point and then select the part that's right of the cursor? etc...)

Paul Kellett October 1st, 2009 05:36 PM

How do you do "post ripple" ?

Paul.

Jeff Harper October 1st, 2009 07:09 PM

I use auto-ripple so much I wouldn't know how to edit without it. I too am interested in post ripple.

Dale Guthormsen October 1st, 2009 08:19 PM

Edward,

would love a little more specifics on using post ripple in excalibur!!!! I have needed it numerous times, just did it manually, need to move on to better workflow!! this sounds great.

Edward Troxel October 2nd, 2009 06:24 AM

Post Ripple Editing is a part of Vegas - not Excalibur. Basically, here's how it works.

Say you have 3 events on the timeline and you delete the middle one. With ripple turned on, it will close that gap automatically. Instead, leave Ripple Editing turned OFF. Now when you delete that middle event, the gap will remain and you'll see a blue arrow above the timeline then entire length of that event,

This is where Post Ripple Editing comes into play. The blue arrow shows where/how much events will be affected. Here's the options at that time:

Press F after an edit to ripple the affected tracks
Press Ctrl+F to ripple the affected tracks and also ripple markers, keyframes, and envelopes
Press Ctrl+Shift+F to ripple everything

For more info, open the help file in Vegas and search for "Post Edit Ripple".

I find this method safer. In this case, NOTHING moves automatically. If I then delete something and know that ripple is appropriate, I can use one of the three commands above (depending on which one is most appropriate) and still get ripple editing.

Dale Guthormsen October 2nd, 2009 10:25 AM

Edward,

thank you ever so much, this will be how i work on them from now on!!! huge help on my work flow!!

Jeff Harper October 2nd, 2009 10:29 AM

Thanks Edward!

Dale Guthormsen October 2nd, 2009 10:49 AM

Edward,

found it, sorry,,

Ignore