DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Text presets (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/460835-text-presets.html)

Ian Stark October 1st, 2009 08:37 AM

Text presets

I have about sixty one liners of text that appear, like PowerPoint bullets, over a video. The client wants the font and colour to be changed. Size and position are fine.

Copy/paste attributes doesn't do it. Presets, for some extraordinary reason, include the text from the event you create the preset in!

Is there any way to change the font and colour of a group of text events? I can't think of one so any advice will be appreciated!

Edward Troxel October 1st, 2009 09:05 AM

Ian, you're going to love this.....

You get to MANUALLY do them ONE AT A TIME.

Ian Stark October 1st, 2009 09:10 AM

Ah, that old southern humour . . . ! :-)

Yes, sadly I've already started the arduous task. Not fun. Seems a bit of an omission, to be honest.

Out of interest, does ProType Titler offer any bulk change facilities?

Graham Bernard October 1st, 2009 09:55 AM

Well, you've most likely finished by now, but . . .

I CAN get a change of colour plus ALL of the other params via making a Preset. The ONE that wont change is FONT. But dialling/typing in the font style 60x is less arduous than arranging the colours etc etc . ..

However, IF you had had the words in notepad, I just achieved the FONT change. But copying over from an existing MedGen brings its Font style. Again dialling in the Font style ain't so hard.

So, after you have created your New Preset for the Font Colour:-

Step 1] Dial Preset - This for your alternative colour-way, shadow, outline etc . . etc . .

Step 2] Dial Font - This for your alternative Font style

Grazie

Edward Troxel October 1st, 2009 09:56 AM

I don't believe it does either.

Edward Troxel October 1st, 2009 09:59 AM

The problem is not using a preset to change the font and color or anything else. The problem is that the text will also change. You'd then need to go back and reset the text after changing to the preset. Still an arduous one by one task.

Graham Bernard October 1st, 2009 10:06 AM

I made an EMPTY Text Preset and pasted in the existing text. When I paste in the existing text from Notepad its colour changes. Just tested again and pasted from ANOTHER Preset "HOT" and got my Lower Left + White + Test Italic + Red outline. And that's from the existing SONY "HOT" Preset.

Grazie

Edward Troxel October 1st, 2009 10:15 AM

It might be faster to create a correct preset. then you could:

1. Open text gen media and copy the current text
2. Choose that new preset
3. Paste the text.

Of course, that will paste the font too unless you have gone through something like notepad to kill the font formatting. So there may need to be a step 4:

4. CTRL-A and then change the font.

Graham Bernard October 1st, 2009 10:23 AM

Alter/cut out step 1] to just drag the new "empty" Preset to Timeline from GenMed. Copy and paste the existing text and dial in the font!

So:-

1] Drag

2] Copy > Paste

3] Dial Font

Grazie

Ian Stark October 1st, 2009 10:28 AM

Interesting suggestions. Here's another one:

Always use 72 point Arial, bold, white and centered. It would also help if your client is called Sample Text Inc. ;-)

Seriously, this is another example of where a 'copy/paste SELECTED attributes' function would be useful (if it worked on text events, of course). Alternatively, just uncoupling the text content from the preset would be good. Anyone got any good contacts in Sony's developers (hint to Grazie and Edward!)?

Ian Stark October 1st, 2009 10:29 AM

Edward, is this kind of thing scriptable?

Graham Bernard October 1st, 2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 1422506)
Anyone got any good contacts in Sony's developers (hint to Grazie and Edward!)?

Been done OFTEN! Believe-you-me!!! Something to do with Vegas not knowing the length of GenMEd as a piece of Media unlike a Video Event which HAS a Time:Length.

It's the kinda thing for a scripting IF that was made open to the Script Gurus . . . .

Grazie

Graham Bernard October 1st, 2009 10:38 AM

Of course you CAN add an FX CC2nd to the track and adjust. Done that before. Just turned SONY "HOT" red into a coooool Blue by applying INVERT . That might give you an idea? But that's me being creative, and awkward and contrary . . .and so on . .

Grazie

Ian Stark October 1st, 2009 10:41 AM

I'm sure it has Grazie!

Not sure why the length of the text media would affect the attributes of the text, but I am a total no-hoper when it comes to all things scripting and coding!

As you rightly guessed, all done now anyway! RSI is setting in . . .

Edward Troxel October 1st, 2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 1422508)
Edward, is this kind of thing scriptable?

No. All scripts can do is select presets - which would kill your text.