Overlaying an opaque layer on video at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:59 PM   #1
Tourist
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4
Overlaying an opaque layer on video

I am a pretty inexperienced with video editing. I have done a few things in Vegas Pro 8 but I have a LOT to learn. I am shooting with a Canon HV30 with a wide angle lens.

I want to take footage from a basketball game and overlay an opaque layer over the court that shows the officials (referees) area of responsibility which will be used for training purposes. The camera is at mid court at the top of the stadium stairs and it just pans back and forth recording the action. I want to do the same thing as the NFL's line of scrimmage where it shows an opaque yellow line at the line of scrimmage during live play. I'm thinking that the wood or color on the court is going to make a big difference and that I could find a gym with maybe a high contrasting color used on the floor. Also the areas will flip if the the Lead official (the one under the basket) moves to the other side.

I would love to some how accomplish this and I need some direction as to what topics I need to learn and if this is even possible in Vegas or if I would need other software.

Here is an image of basically what I would like to accomplish: Basketball Court - Overlay
Chris Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:36 PM   #2
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bristol, CT (Home of EPSN)
Posts: 1,182
Ah, you want to show the Lead and the Trail official. Haha, did a lot of officiating in past years.

Actually, you can either ovelay an opaque line (diagnally, I assume), or a semi-transparent area. Just place a Graduated (Insert menu) event on an track above themain footage and pull down the Transparency handle from the top of the event.
__________________
Paul Cascio
www.pictureframingschool.com
Paul Cascio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
I'll have a go at this since I have been wanting to try some fancier compositing tricks. i'll post back soon.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:02 PM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
ok i've got two possible solution examples. Neither one even gets into the complexities of setting a track as anything other than source alpha. see attached. If you want to use my solutions and see the veg files, PM me.

For both solutions, apply a pan / crop mask to your video track. Then keyframe that mask for all the movements in the video track. Yes this will take forever. Sorry! Then once all the mask keyframe movements are set, copy the event properties (Ctrl-C) and use the paste special command to paste the event attributes on to a blue generated media just below it. Then add a cookie cutter FX to the blue media and choose the cutout shape. Now key frame the cutout's movements on the blue track. Now copy those attributes from the blue to a new green generated media and change the cutout from "cut away all but section" to "cut away section" Adjust the opacity of the event or tracks for the two generated media to taste.

The advantage of method #1 is that you get a very simple pan / crop mask, since most of the work is done by the chroma keyer. The downside to method #1 is that your "color overlays" are only as good as your ability to chroma-key. If player uniform colors match the floor, then your players may dissappear into the chroma key, makign it hard to spot players. Method #2 will take a bit more time, since you might need to adjust your key in order to avoid throwing the "color overlay" over the crowd. Both methods will be considerably assisted by a camera that is completely stationary. For a stationary camera, I would choose method #2.
Attached Thumbnails
Overlaying an opaque layer on video-method-1.jpg   Overlaying an opaque layer on video-method-2.jpg  

Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Tourist
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
Ah, you want to show the Lead and the Trail official. Haha, did a lot of officiating in past years.
..and the Center :)

Do you still officiate now? Did you officiate in CT or in another part of the country? I'm looking forward to trying some of these techniques!
Chris Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Tourist
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
ok i've got two possible solution examples. Neither one even gets into the complexities of setting a track as anything other than source alpha. see attached. If you want to use my solutions and see the veg files, PM me.

For both solutions, apply a pan / crop mask to your video track. Then keyframe that mask for all the movements in the video track. Yes this will take forever. Sorry! Then once all the mask keyframe movements are set, copy the event properties (Ctrl-C) and use the paste special command to paste the event attributes on to a blue generated media just below it. Then add a cookie cutter FX to the blue media and choose the cutout shape. Now key frame the cutout's movements on the blue track. Now copy those attributes from the blue to a new green generated media and change the cutout from "cut away all but section" to "cut away section" Adjust the opacity of the event or tracks for the two generated media to taste.

The advantage of method #1 is that you get a very simple pan / crop mask, since most of the work is done by the chroma keyer. The downside to method #1 is that your "color overlays" are only as good as your ability to chroma-key. If player uniform colors match the floor, then your players may dissappear into the chroma key, makign it hard to spot players. Method #2 will take a bit more time, since you might need to adjust your key in order to avoid throwing the "color overlay" over the crowd. Both methods will be considerably assisted by a camera that is completely stationary. For a stationary camera, I would choose method #2.
This is GREAT Jason! I can't wait to get home and give this a shot. I don't mind doing a lot of nitty gritty work if it works!
Chris Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM   #7
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bristol, CT (Home of EPSN)
Posts: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ford View Post
..and the Center :)

Do you still officiate now? Did you officiate in CT or in another part of the country? I'm looking forward to trying some of these techniques!
LOL. All of my games had just two refs. I worked more baseball than basketball, but I was an IAABO official for a number of years. Attended the MLB umpiring school too - years ago.

One time when I was new, a coach disagreed with a call and demanded to know how I spell my last name (I guess he was going to report me.). When I told him, C-A-S-C-I-O. His reply was.... get ready...

Yep, just what I thought, only one I.
__________________
Paul Cascio
www.pictureframingschool.com

Last edited by Paul Cascio; October 2nd, 2009 at 05:07 PM.
Paul Cascio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Tourist
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
LOL. All of my games had just two refs. I worked more baseball than basketball, but I was an IAABO official for a number of years. Attended the MLB umpiring school too - years ago.

One time when I was new, a coach disagreed with a call and demanded to know how I spell my last name (I guess he was going to report me.). When I told him, C-A-S-C-I-O. His reply was.... get ready...

Yep, just what I thought, only one I.
That is hilarious! I would have to go over and shake the coach's hand for such a witty comeback....of course after he was t'd up 
Chris Ford is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network