DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Rendering MPEG2 in DVD Architect 3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/46319-rendering-mpeg2-dvd-architect-3-a.html)

Hugh DiMauro June 16th, 2005 08:58 AM

Rendering MPEG2 in DVD Architect 3?

Ed:

Lorinda Norton told me that you only render AVI in Vegas and MPEG2 in DVDA. Is that true? The reason I ask is, remember not too long ago I posted my rendering problem in Vegas 6 (it kept freezing at 30%) and you instructed me to first render to AVI then re-render to MPEG2? Well, I never got the chance to do that on my own computer because my motherboard blew.

Flash forward to the present: I just bought and am now using a Dell Precision 670 Workstation with Dual Xeons and 2 gig of ram.

1. Vegas still occasionally freezes on me while I move around the timeline.
2. Last evening at the editing bench, after my temper tantrums subsided and I finished editing my project (containing MANY stills scanned at 600 dpi), I now have to render the beast which I look forward to with much trepidation.
3. Please make rendering suggestions to me in order to avoid any more render freezes. I want to archive the documentary on DVD.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. (Oh! I downloaded the latest 6.0b patch form the sony website)

Lorinda Norton June 16th, 2005 09:16 AM

Goodness, Hugh! I don't want to get in trouble for starting a really bad (and wrong) rumor!

I know you're in a hurry so let me do some searching. I could have sworn there was a thread like that around here somewhere...

Edward Troxel June 16th, 2005 09:39 AM

When using DVDA with Vegas, you have at least the following two options:

1) Render to AVI and give that to DVDA. DVDA will then render to MPEG and AC3. This process is the EASIEST way as it will determine the proper bitrate and take care of everything for you.

2) Render to MPEG2 and AC3/WAV in Vegas. This method gives YOU the most control over the process but also requires the most work from you. For example, YOU must determine the most appropriate bitrate before rendering.

Most people recommend #2 as it gives you the most control over the procedure. However, there's nothing wrong with doing #1.

BTW, on the freezing renders, were you rendering as CBR or VBR? If you were using CBR, you might want to try again using VBR.

Lorinda Norton June 16th, 2005 09:42 AM

Whew! Thank you for bailing me out, Ed. I thought I was passing out really bad information, because after doing a search I couldn't find anything to support what I'd told Hugh.

Hugh DiMauro June 16th, 2005 10:43 AM

Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy... no need to quake in your boots, pretty Lorinda. You've given me excellent and working advice in the past so I know your sources are good. Mr. Troxel, I will allow DVDA to determine the bitrate since I am not good enough yet to control CBR/VBR (which, I think means variable bitrate and something else bitrate? DUH!)

Hugh DiMauro June 16th, 2005 10:53 AM

One More Thing, Ed:

I've never allowed DVDA to render my project. Can you give me the five cent version?

Edward Troxel June 16th, 2005 12:05 PM

If you give DVDA and AVI file, it will automatically do what is necessary to create a compliant DVD (i.e. render to MPEG2 for you).

VBR=Variable Bit Rate
CBR=Constant Bit Rate

I have a full writeup on the process in vol 1 #7 (or #9 - can't remember which off the top of my head). This issue also contains a bitrate chart so you don't have to worry about doing any calculations. The only things that are recommended different now:
1) Use 2-pass VBR
2) Start with one of the DVD Architect presets (by default, they do NOT contain audio)

Generally speaking, you will get a good render if you start with the DVDA preset and modify the average bitrate as needed for the length of your video.

Also generally speaking, I don't bother taking my bitrate higher than 6,100,000. I can't see any improvements and the DVDs will play better in machines that can't handle the higher bitrates.

Hugh DiMauro June 16th, 2005 12:08 PM

Thanks a million, Ed! I'll get on it tonight and (hopefully) have good news tomorrow.

Hugh DiMauro June 16th, 2005 12:17 PM

Ed, One More...

Why would the tech support folks at Sony's Mediasite instruct me to change my dynamic ram preview from 16 mb to 300? This was in response to my e-mailing them my render freeze problem.

Edward Troxel June 16th, 2005 01:17 PM

Interesting... most people have been saying that LOWERING that value (i.e. from 300 to 16 instead of the other way around) seems to help. You could try increasing it and see what happens. The only time I had a rendering problem, I found that pre-rendering smaller sections before doing the full render seemed to help.

Hugh DiMauro June 16th, 2005 01:24 PM

That's exactly what I did to get the first version of the movie finished just before my motherboard blew. I will pre-render small sections first. Thanks for your help and time. BTW I will change the 300 back to 16.