DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   how to make footage look like shown in monitor from webcam? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/464921-how-make-footage-look-like-shown-monitor-webcam.html)

Adi Head October 2nd, 2009 11:03 AM

how to make footage look like shown in monitor from webcam?

hi.
can anyone please recommend a filter or effect or something of that sort which i can put on some video to make it appear like it was taken by a webcam and shot (full screen) from an old crt monitor.

i don't need the footage to stutter like streaming video - just the degraded look and the flicker and bad faded colors of an old computer screen.

thanks

Jason Robinson October 2nd, 2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adi Head (Post 1426870)
hi.
can anyone please recommend a filter or effect or something of that sort which i can put on some video to make it appear like it was taken by a webcam and shot (full screen) from an old crt monitor.

i don't need the footage to stutter like streaming video - just the degraded look and the flicker and bad faded colors of an old computer screen.

thanks

these are all built into vegas by default. to go the 3 color wheels and turn things a bit blue / green i nthe highs / mids, then add the CRT effect.

Dennis Murphy October 2nd, 2009 02:48 PM

Render it out at a lower rez then import that and stretch it out to fit your project size.

Ian Stark October 3rd, 2009 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 1426894)
then add the CRT effect.

Jason, curious to know what 'the CRT effect' is!

Adi Head October 3rd, 2009 03:24 AM

ok. the degraded render + color correction did help. but still looking for some kind of screen texture - the old crt monitor look.
i tried using "TV SIMULATOR" effect within vegas, but it didn't quite give me what i'm looking for.... or maybe i just didn't find the right settings.

still looking....

Ian Stark October 3rd, 2009 03:48 AM

Adi, I think you have answered my question to Jason - I guess he was referring to the TV Simulator effect. Sorry, me being dumb!

Try applying the aperture grill and interlacing settings very sparingly - and I would knock the phosphoresence down a touch as well.

You might also consider applying a slight vignette to darken the corners. Check out NewBlueFX's Video Essential 2 pack. You also get the Lens Correction plugin in that bundle, which might add to the effect by making the 'screen' look slightly curved (not sure if that's what you're looking for, though).

Finally, one of the characteristics of old webcams is a ton of noise caused by insufficient light. You could try adding some grain using the Sony Film Effects plugin or Pixelan's NewNoise.

Jason Robinson October 3rd, 2009 02:29 PM

yes TV simulator was what I was trying to think of (was not in front of Vegas at the moment I wrote that post).

Ian Stark October 3rd, 2009 02:34 PM

Nah, me being dumb!! Still, I guess it's cleared it up for anyone new to Vegas.