how to make footage look like shown in monitor from webcam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Major Player

how to make footage look like shown in monitor from webcam?

hi.
can anyone please recommend a filter or effect or something of that sort which i can put on some video to make it appear like it was taken by a webcam and shot (full screen) from an old crt monitor.

i don't need the footage to stutter like streaming video - just the degraded look and the flicker and bad faded colors of an old computer screen.

thanks
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi Head View Post
hi.
can anyone please recommend a filter or effect or something of that sort which i can put on some video to make it appear like it was taken by a webcam and shot (full screen) from an old crt monitor.

i don't need the footage to stutter like streaming video - just the degraded look and the flicker and bad faded colors of an old computer screen.

thanks
these are all built into vegas by default. to go the 3 color wheels and turn things a bit blue / green i nthe highs / mids, then add the CRT effect.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Render it out at a lower rez then import that and stretch it out to fit your project size.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:18 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
then add the CRT effect.
Jason, curious to know what 'the CRT effect' is!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:24 AM   #5
Major Player

ok. the degraded render + color correction did help. but still looking for some kind of screen texture - the old crt monitor look.
i tried using "TV SIMULATOR" effect within vegas, but it didn't quite give me what i'm looking for.... or maybe i just didn't find the right settings.

still looking....
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:48 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Adi, I think you have answered my question to Jason - I guess he was referring to the TV Simulator effect. Sorry, me being dumb!

Try applying the aperture grill and interlacing settings very sparingly - and I would knock the phosphoresence down a touch as well.

You might also consider applying a slight vignette to darken the corners. Check out NewBlueFX's Video Essential 2 pack. You also get the Lens Correction plugin in that bundle, which might add to the effect by making the 'screen' look slightly curved (not sure if that's what you're looking for, though).

Finally, one of the characteristics of old webcams is a ton of noise caused by insufficient light. You could try adding some grain using the Sony Film Effects plugin or Pixelan's NewNoise.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Trustee

yes TV simulator was what I was trying to think of (was not in front of Vegas at the moment I wrote that post).
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Nah, me being dumb!! Still, I guess it's cleared it up for anyone new to Vegas.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...