hows this build at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:28 PM   #1
Major Player

hows this build

Gonna upgragde to Vegas 9. This is what my build consist of. Anything I should throw out or add ? Thanks in advance.

Case Antec 9002
Coolmax 750 watt
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
PNY Quad FX 1800 768 DVI PCI express video card
Crosair xms 6gb DDR3 SDRAM
WD 500gb for OS
2 WD 1tb sata 32 mb
Pioneer BDR203 disc burner
LG DVD drive
Vista ultimate 64bit
I7 920 Nehalem 2.66Ghz
32" LCD of some sort haven't really decided yet.

What kind of power source or UPS would you guys go for?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I see some fast rendering times in your future!
Martin Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Double the RAM.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Inner Circle

More ram will not help Vegas, but it can cause the OS to respond better in minor ways.

I run the i7 920 and I upgraded from 750 to 1200 watts of power and was glad I did. I'm an overclocker and my system became more stable.

I personally wouldn't use anything other than a 10K drive for my OS, they are so cheap and fast....

Newegg.com - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (bare drive) - Internal Hard Drives

For an OS drive I personally believe if you have more than 60-90 GB on your OS drive you've got too much, and the smaller the drive the faster access times, the data doesn't become so spread out and fragmented. I use an 150GB Velociraptor for my OS and I have my OS on a 70GB partition and don't use the rest of the space from the drive.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Wiosna View Post
I see some fast rendering times in your future!

How fast? I can't sleep just thinking about this build!!!
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Vista Ultimate is overkill. At this point, I'd just wait for Win7 Home.

6g ram is plenty, it's unlikely you'll ever actually use any more than that. If you begin to in the future, you can always add more. And it will probably be cheaper.

I've never been impressed with 10k drives. Most of the data should be buffered anyway, so the higher rotational speed may lower the drive's life expectancy, but is unlikely to lower rendering times noticeably. Really, if you have money to burn and want to speed up the OS by a few seconds a day, get an SSD.
Joe Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Foronda View Post
Gonna upgragde to Vegas 9. This is what my build consist of. Anything I should throw out or add ? Thanks in advance.

Case Antec 9002
Coolmax 750 watt
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
PNY Quad FX 1800 768 DVI PCI express video card
Crosair xms 6gb DDR3 SDRAM
WD 500gb for OS
2 WD 1tb sata 32 mb
Pioneer BDR203 disc burner
LG DVD drive
Vista ultimate 64bit
I7 920 Nehalem 2.66Ghz
32" LCD of some sort haven't really decided yet.

What kind of power source or UPS would you guys go for?
I see some issues here Fred...

#1) Go with the Antec P183 case (for sure)
#2) The Quad FX 1800 is a waste for Vegas, vegas uses *zero* acceleration. I would recomment going with an NVidia based card like a 9800GT, etc. Much cheaper, and if acceleration does come, it'll be via CUDA and those chipsets support this.
#3) Wait and go with Windows 7
#4) Skip the cost of a 32" LCD and go with TWO 22" or 24" LCD's. You'll save money, get MORE screen real estate.
#5) Make sure you buy the "Black" versions of the WD Drives.
#6) I think you're overdoing it with power in the power supply, but that's probably fine. A 600-watt PS would be sufficient.
#7) I'd go with a aftermarket cooler that is really good quality even if you don't overclock.

Jon

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
More ram will not help Vegas, but it can cause the OS to respond better in minor ways.

I run the i7 920 and I upgraded from 750 to 1200 watts of power and was glad I did. I'm an overclocker and my system became more stable.

I personally wouldn't use anything other than a 10K drive for my OS, they are so cheap and fast....

Newegg.com - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (bare drive) - Internal Hard Drives

For an OS drive I personally believe if you have more than 60-90 GB on your OS drive you've got too much, and the smaller the drive the faster access times, the data doesn't become so spread out and fragmented. I use an 150GB Velociraptor for my OS and I have my OS on a 70GB partition and don't use the rest of the space from the drive.

I'll second Jeff's recomendation here for a Velociraptor for your primary OS drive if you can afford it.

However, I couldn't disagree more regarding the power supply wattage. Jeff's a great contributor here and I know he's got a very powerful rig, but having 20+ years in building PC's, I can tell you that for a i7 system, 750-watts is overkill. Example, I run my i7 at 3.0Ghz and I run it on a Corsair 620-watt PS. My system has NEVER crashed and has been running 24/7 for well over a year now. If he got more stability after upgrading, it likely had to do with a poor quality power supply versus the actual wattage.

Cruise to antec's website, they have a pretty good power calculator utility there you can use yourself and it'll tell you what size power supply you should need. As a general rule, you should buy a power supply that is rated at about double of what your system is going to draw on an average basis.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #9
Inner Circle

You could be right about my initial power supply possibly not being that good in the first place. I've read complaints on virtually every brand now and again, though mine is a premium model.

Edit: I should add that my rig does run a LOT of stuff. 8 internal hard drives, 2 external RAID SATA controllers, 4 external hds, and 2 DVD burners, and lots of fans, not to mention the usual scanner and printer, etc., etc.. I don't recall for sure, but the minimum PSU recommended for my system, I believe, was around 900 watts, possibly higher. I did use PSU calculators on several sites and it became clear to me that I was at best barely powered adequately, and at worst I was underpowered. Actually the biggest change when I added the second psu was I was able to overclock to a slightly higher number.

I dedicate one PSU to my internal hds only. And if it is overkill, it is still a nice feeling to have my HDs powered independently. More power is, in my mind, better than too little.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; October 8th, 2009 at 09:58 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Jon you got me to wondering, so I used the Antec PSU supply today and it came it at 868 watts recommended for my system. This is a good illustration of the importance of heeding your advice, to use a PSU calculator when building a system. In my case I was approximately 100w under recommended specs with my 750 watt PSU.

PSU needs are based on the total amount of power needed, not just the processory type: number/type of hard drives, CD burners, add-on cards, etc.. The type of processor that one uses factors in, but in my case was a relatively minor consideration.

What I did when I discovered this initially was I simply added a second PSU (550 watts, I believe), as it was less MUCH expensive than buying a new 900 watt supply. Luckily, I have a case that accomodates two PSUs. With some rudimentary wiring "tricks" I had the new PSU installed relatively quickly. I now have 1300 watts of PSU. Wow, that is a lot isn't it? Or maybe my PSUs are 700 and 500w, I can never keep it straight. At any rate it runs great.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...