Masking skills: how can a wheel cross the frame and leave a text after it passes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:29 AM   #1
Trustee

Masking skills: how can a wheel cross the frame and leave a text after it passes?

Hola,
guessing who could help me in this:
I have a bike/car that crosses the frame and i would like that after the wheel passes appear a tex behind the wheel.How could i do that?

thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Old Boot

Depends how arty you want it?

How long does the driven wheel take to cross the frame? 3 seconds 10 seconds?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Sponsor: VASST

You could use a Bezier mask on the text event to reveal it just as the car is passing. The Bezier should follow the contour of the back of the car to make it look like the text is coming from behind the car.

~jr
Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Trustee

How John????
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:49 PM   #5

Drop in the text to position.
Click the Pan/Crop icon on the text. Choose the MASK tickbox at the bottom of the keyframer. Be sure Sync to Cursor is enabled.
Place your cursor where the text should be invisible (as the bike enters the screen) and make a mask around the text using the anchor/nodes tool. move to next frame or 2-3 frames later, and draw another mask, or just widen the mask you already have. Keep moving 1,2, 3 frames at a time, enlarging that mask. You'll rapidly figure out the timing. You *may* even be able to have only two keyframes in the reveal, one at the start and one at the end if you figure out the timing correctly.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 09:59 PM   #6
Old Boot

Timeline Layout:-

Track 1: "Car" Event

Track 2: "Text" Generated Media

When you get this under way, you could try all sorts of movement for Text; make the Text interact with the colour/saturation of the road/dust - lots to try out here.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:44 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Drop in the text to position.
Click the Pan/Crop icon on the text. Choose the MASK tickbox at the bottom of the keyframer. Be sure Sync to Cursor is enabled.
Place your cursor where the text should be invisible (as the bike enters the screen) and make a mask around the text using the anchor/nodes tool. move to next frame or 2-3 frames later, and draw another mask, or just widen the mask you already have. Keep moving 1,2, 3 frames at a time, enlarging that mask. You'll rapidly figure out the timing. You *may* even be able to have only two keyframes in the reveal, one at the start and one at the end if you figure out the timing correctly.
Great to see you back Spot! Hope you're doing alright.
Old October 4th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #8
Trustee

Douglas , very happy to hear you, a big honour for me!Now i'm trying to test!Hope u r well and thanks again!
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #9
Trustee

I'm trying but i guess i got not skill in doing it!I opened the pan & crop , i've added the new video track on the top for the text then i've selected the mask-window at the bottom left, then i 've selected the pen window (i guess this was the anchor function u were talking about)and now i Got lost!
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...