Cavetas for interchanging projects between 8.0c and 8.1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 6th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Cavetas for interchanging projects between 8.0c and 8.1

Edit: Sorry about typo in subject - can't change after posting!

Could someone kindly point me in the direction of any information that discusses the caveats, pitfalls, suggested workflow etc for working on a project in both 8.0c and 8.1.

I have just installed 64 bit Vista as a dual boot and having played with 8.1 (for a very short time only) so far I am impressed (not with Vista - hate it!).

My reason for needing to revert to 8.0c is plugin support (primarily for Looks).

A couple of specific questions:

1. Can I safely create a project in 8.1 and then open it in 8.0c? Should I be doing all my 8.0c work first and then going to 8.1? Does it matter?
2. Am I right in believing MB Looks simply will not install in a 64 bit OS at this time? (Looking forward to the elusive 1.2.1).
3. Is there any way to share plugins across OS's? I suspect the answer to be 'don't be so stoopid!' but you never know, there may be a way to do it (be gentle with me).
4. I will of course check this, but does anyone know if Real Video is 64-bit compatible?

Any and all guidance is welcomed!

Last edited by Ian Stark; October 6th, 2009 at 03:08 PM.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Could someone kindly point me in the direction of any information that discusses the caveats, pitfalls, suggested workflow etc for working on a project in both 8.0c and 8.1.
I did this quite a bit before moving to Vegas 9.

Quote:
A couple of specific questions:

1. Can I safely create a project in 8.1 and then open it in 8.0c? Should I be doing all my 8.0c work first and then going to 8.1? Does it matter?
Yes, I did this a lot. Essentially, I did all my editing and so forth in 8.1, then finished the color in 8.0c for various reasons, including MB Looks.

Quote:
2. Am I right in believing MB Looks simply will not install in a 64 bit OS at this time? (Looking forward to the elusive 1.2.1).
As far as I know this is true.

Quote:
3. Is there any way to share plugins across OS's? I suspect the answer to be 'don't be so stoopid!' but you never know, there may be a way to do it (be gentle with me).
I don't know what you mean by this. What plugins?

Quote:
4. I will of course check this, but does anyone know if Real Video is 64-bit compatible?

Any and all guidance is welcomed!
Realvideo seems to be a dying format. I'd doubt much more development is going to happen with it. We abandoned it long ago for things more standards based.
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Yes, you can freely go between 8.1 and 8.0c. If you're going to be using the 64-bit version, I STRONGLY recommend upgrading to 9.0b for both 32 and 64 versions. The 64-bit version of 9 is MUCH better than 8.1.

Quote:
No. It will install fine on a 64-bit OS but it is a 32-bit application so it will NOT run in the 64-bit version of Vegas. It WILL run in the 32-bit version of Vegas on a 64-bit OS, though.

Quote:
I agree with the other response... WHAT plugins? For example, most scripts (like Excalibur and Ultimate S) will work in both 8 and 9 - 32 and 64 bit versions. NewBlue plugins work in both 32 and 64 bit versions of Vegas. It somewhat depends on the plugin manufacturer so you'll need to be a little more precise on this question.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Perrone, Edward, thanks for your replies.

Good to know that it's a safe practice and I will take the advice and now (finally!) make the move to 9.

What I meant with the plugins question was a way to install a plugin in XP and have it accessed by Vegas in Vista (on a dual boot system) rather than having to install it twice - but with hindsight I am thinking this is a redundant question, as I guess I could simply install Vegas 32 bit in the 64 bit partition. Sorry, hadn't thought that one through.

Regarding Real Video - my mistake, I was meaning NEAT Video, not Real. I see that there is in fact a 64 bit version of Neat, which is good.

Thanks again to both for the guidance.
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Yeah, just install the 64-bit OS and then install both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Vegas. You can switch back and forth then. Although, you may find you don't need to once you get everything you need in the 64-bit version.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
According to a comment in this thread by someone who called Red Giant, they were just kidding about supporting 64-bit with Vegas. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...ml#post1428592
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Sigh . . .

Well, as Jeff mentioned in that thread, at least we have NewBlue!
Old October 11th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

When 8.1 first came out I played with it a bit and found it to be faster than 8.0c. At the time, I had no problem opening up veg files originally created in 8.0c. FF a few months and suddenly when I go to open up existing veg files in 8.1 I get an error message and they won't open. Something about a mismatch. Nothing has changed as far as OS (Vista 64) or my hardware configuration. No biggie, but when I have simple projects with no plug-ins I'd prefer to use 8.1.
Rick Diaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...