AVCHD disc's from DVD Architect Pro 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 6th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #1
Major Player

AVCHD disc's from DVD Architect Pro 5

I have Vegas 8.0c with DVDA 5. When I make a Bluray but select a DVD DL 8.5gb, The file that DVDA makes will play on Sony and Oppo BluRay players, but not on other brands that are AVCHD capable.
If I take the edited mpeg stream that Vegas8 makes into Ulead Movie Factory 6+ (with HD pack), it will use this file and make a HiDef AVCHD disc that plays in all Bluray players. This work flow is longer and I am stuck with MovieFactory menu templates.
Questions:
1. Is there a work around this, or am I missing something?
2. If the answer to question 1 is no, is this fixed in Vegas 9?

Thanks - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #2
Trustee

Interesting info, thanks. Sorry I don't have an answer for you.
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This might just be normal behavior, since you're trying to write a format onto the blu-ray that it wasn't ever intended to have. Or I could be misunderstanding your question entirely. :)

You should be rendering a blu-ray template from Vegas, not in DVDA. If you want to make a DVD, use a DVD template, DL or otherwise. But don't try to make a blu-ray with a DVD template.

The reason Ulead works is probably because it's not allowing you to specify an illegal file format (DL DVD to blu-ray).
Joe Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Parker View Post
This might just be normal behavior, since you're trying to write a format onto the blu-ray that it wasn't ever intended to have. Or I could be misunderstanding your question entirely. :)

You should be rendering a blu-ray template from Vegas, not in DVDA. If you want to make a DVD, use a DVD template, DL or otherwise. But don't try to make a blu-ray with a DVD template.

The reason Ulead works is probably because it's not allowing you to specify an illegal file format (DL DVD to blu-ray).
Hi Def AVCHD disks on a DVD are a valid format. Most newer Bluray players are AVCHD compatible, and list it in their specs. I have a Bluray burner and DVDA burns to Bluray disks just fine.
DVDA has the option under the bluray template of selecting not only 25g/50g Bluray blank discs, but also DVD and DVD-DL - ie. the DVD templates are selectable-not greyed out.
Maybe AVCHD discs are not a Vegas/DVDA supported feature, however, when I make one of these, all Sony BR players, the Play Station 3, and the Oppo BD-83 Bluray player recognize it as an AVCHD disc. The Panny units do not "unsupported format " message. They all - including the panny units will recognize the AVCHD disc made with Ulead - and the discs are in full HD.
The advantage of using AVCHD on DVD are lower media costs, good for short and or test projects. In Ulead Movie Factory you have 3 (HD) options: Bluray, AVCHD. or HDDVD. Both the AVCHD and HDDVD options support burning full HiDef on a DVD, but you are limited to 22minutes/44min on a DL).
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 02:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Here's the issue...

AVCHD is a generally supported format among Blu-Ray players.

However, when you create a DVD5 or DVD9 "Blu-Ray' with DVD Architect, you do not get an AVCHD disc, you get exactly what it sounds like: a totally normal Blu-Ray file structure on a DVD5 or DVD9. There are small differences.

I ran into this just after DVDA 5 came out. I built myself an HD version of a short video on a DVD. Checked in in the PC.. played (in a Blu-Ray player) just dandy. I tried it out on the PS3... no love.

So I tried the same thing using Nero Vision.. very primitive, but it has an explicit AVCHD output mode. That worked just dandy on the PS3. As did later, real Blu-Ray discs I built.

Here's a small utility that claims to build a proper AVCHD:
Twan's Tools - AVCHDCoder

I rather suspect there's some stupid accounting difference, and maybe more BD players will eventually accept "BD on DVD" as well as AVCHD. The Blu-Ray people have been strongly suggesting that players support AVCHD discs. That's rare for these kinds of forums.. they don't even require that a Blu-Ray player also play DVD or CD (not that many would avoid these formats).
Old October 23rd, 2009, 02:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kepen View Post
I have Vegas 8.0c with DVDA 5. When I make a Bluray but select a DVD DL 8.5gb, The file that DVDA makes will play on Sony and Oppo BluRay players, but not on other brands that are AVCHD capable.
As well as the issue I pointed out (that's not really an AVCHD disc), some players still have issue with DVD-DL discs. Try a DVD5 and see if things change, then try the AVCHD building tool I suggested, and see if compatibility improves.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...