DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 9 Audio Channels (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/465232-vegas-9-audio-channels.html)

Chris Harding October 7th, 2009 02:24 AM

Vegas 9 Audio Channels

Hi Guys

I did a shoot using my radio mic into my XLR right cannel and the shotgun mic into my XLR left channel and when I look at the audio track the left channel is not worth keeping and I really just need to replace the left channel audio with the right channel audio so I have around the same levels on each channel.

If you right-click the audio channel the default is "both" ...and the simplest solution is to select right only which makes the track into a mono channel which feeds both speakers anyway.

Apart from copying the audio track and pasting it below (which might cause some left/right sync problems if the paste is not 100% accurate) is there any other simple way to take the right channel and use it's contents for the left channel as well???? Obviously a copy and paste will work and I remember that in V7 you just set the pan slider to suit. Is there any issues in just selecting "right" on the switches??? It might be mono but it still feeds both speakers and doing the whole copy/paste stuff ends up with identical informatiom on each channel anyway so there is no real stereo???

Thanks for any input??

Chris

Mike Kujbida October 7th, 2009 03:18 AM

You didn't have stereo to begin with so selecting "right only" (or "left only" if necessary) is the best choice.

BTW, Edward Troxel has a free script called StereoSplit.js on his site that will (to quote him) take a stereo event, copy it to a new track, set the top one to "right only" and set the bottom one to "left only" splitting your stereo track into two distinct channels.

Chris Harding October 7th, 2009 04:59 AM

Hi Mike

Thanks!! It seemed the simplest way to go! I'll take a look at Edward's script but what I was actually looking at was a way to take just one channel (say, the right) and replace the current left channel with that audio. I wonder if Edward's script will do that????

When I shoot a wedding (as the radio mic is mono anyway) I just use one XLR channel and then feed a shotgun mic to the other. If the groom accidentally rips the audio cable out the transmitter I still have some backup audio to salvage!!

Chris

Mike Kujbida October 7th, 2009 06:03 AM

Chris, I've done what you do (wireless & shotgun) on numerous shoots and end up splitting them with Edward's script.
As I said, even though it seems to be stereo, it's actually two mono tracks and I see no reason to make it otherwise.
Even vocals on a song are recorded (and usually played back) in mono.
In a 5.1 surround track, the bulk of the dialogue comes out of the centre channel speaker (i.e. mono).
It's very rare that a voice in any of these situations is a stereo track so, if it's good enough for the "big boys", it's good enough for me :-)

BTW, I'm pretty sure that Edward's script will do what you want.
He's a regular here though and I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

Don Bloom October 7th, 2009 01:32 PM

I shoot ALL of my receptions that way. (I use a Hypercaroid on the camera and a Sennheiser drum mic on a stand with a transmitter going back to my reciever on my camera).
I use Edwards script to split the track and adjust tracks and busses from there. HOWEVER ;-) a couple of weeks ago I was surprised by the DJ who didin't give me any heads up about a speech taking place (last minute add) and my reciever was off. Luckily I was close enough to get decent audio from the hypercaroid only. In post, I simply choose Right track only, then ran it thru the Volume FX in Vegas to bring it up a little (it renders to both Left and Right) and guess what. You can't really tell the difference. I have in the past copied and pasted the clip to another track but it didn't really sound much different.

Chris Harding October 7th, 2009 06:52 PM

Hi Guys

Many thanks!! Edward's script works great!!
Yeah, I had one time where the groom sat down to sign the register and when they got up to be presented to the guests the lav plug was hanging down by his side. The right channel had no audio of course but I was only 10' away so the shotgun grabbed the audio without any problem!!

Thanks again and thanks to Edward and his wonderful scripts!!

Chris