How to-Camera Clicking Shutter effect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #1
Major Player

How to-Camera Clicking Shutter effect

How do i add still photos to a video but have them transistion in as a camera click and photo?

I have seen this technique on television where a news team is doing a story about something then i hear a still camera click and the photo shows up on the video...
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

try Download Sound Effects | SoundDogs.com they should have what you're looking for.
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

What I've done

The easiest thing to do would be to get an old film camera and record the shutter click and film advance. I've done it in the past with things like that. I hit a stapler on a desk to make a good stamping sound. Sometimes the best solution isn't the fanciest.

But if you want to go techie and you are on FCS, look at the sound effects in Soundtrack Pro. There are a few different camera sounds you can choose from.

Hope that helps.

Mark
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Sorry, just saw you were on Vegas

Disregard the FCS comment. Didn't see what system you were using till after I posted.
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

You can also try using the flash effect if appropriate to transition from video to photo. Just time it with the camera click. I've attached a camera click for you.
Attached Files
File Type: wav Camera Auto Click 02.wav (73.6 KB, 389 views)
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #6
Inner Circle

David, try this:

In between each photo insert a solid colour generated media event, black, 12 frames long, with a fade length of 3 frames either side (i.e. between the previous photo and the next photo. If you are transitioning from video to photo the same thing applies).

To each fade add the Sony Barn Door transition, using the 'horizontal in, no border' preset for the incoming transition and the 'horizontal out, no border' preset for the outgoing transition. You could try using the Sony Iris transition instead, although I personally prefer the Barn Doors.

That, coupled with the sound effect and Jeff's flash suggestion, should give you a decent overall effect (although you wouldn't be able to use two transitions at the same time, so you'd have to think of another way to get the flash in there) .

You could take this further and add another track which contains a simple camera reticle (what you see through a viewfinder) that is displayed over the incoming photo. There are plenty on Google Images and you would just need to remove the background and create an alpha transparency (or you could easily make your own simple reticle). Depends on your objectives for the project, obviously.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Here's a quick and dirty example, using Jeff's sound effect.
Attached Files
File Type: wmv camera.wmv (67.8 KB, 1191 views)
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #8
Major Player

Ian that is EXACTLY what I am trying to achieve I will try this based on your instructions...

Jeff thanks for the click!
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hopefully attached is an audio clip of my Nikon F3 with MD4 drive attached doing its thing.
There is a single shot with winder, a couple of shots, then rapid fire.. and a couple of variables such as closer to the mic..

Just import into your NLE and use as desired.

Ben
Attached Files
File Type: wav Nikon F3 firing.wav (3.70 MB, 401 views)
Ben Longden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...