Vegas 8&9 "File Interface Surrogate Stopped Working (not visible)" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 18th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Vegas 8&9 "File Interface Surrogate Stopped Working (not visible)"

I've been trying to use my new Canon 7D and have had multiple crashes on both Vegas 8 and 9, sometimes with an error "File Interface Surrogate Stopped Working (not visible)". I've had it happen once or twice on other projects, but now I'm totally stopped. Usually it locks up when I'm importing files into the Project Media folder or when I'm dragging into the timeline. Usually the clips won't play in the preview window either from the media bins or from the timeline. Then everything comes to a screeching halt and either it locks up (wheel of death) or I get the "File Interface Surrogate Stopped Working (not visible)" error message. When I go to Task Manager, the "FileIOSurrogate" line is chewing up 54% of CPU and 1,240,000+ memory.

I have a dual core AMD 6400 with 4GB RAM. The system is loaded with CS4, Office, and plenty other apps.

Any ideas?
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Sponsor: VASST

I would convert the Canon 7D files to CineForm format and work with CineForm files. Sometimes the acquisition format is just not the best format for editing.

~jr
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #3
Major Player

John, I've never been through the Cineform route. Must I purchase a Cineform product? What is the workflow and time required?

Thanks for your help.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #4
Sponsor: VASST

You can purchase CineForm Neo Scene for $99 from VideoGuys.com. It will batch render all of your footage for you.

I would definitely download the trial and make sure it works with the 7D first. I know it specifucally has support for the Canon 5D Mk II but I don't know about the 7D.

~jr
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #5
Major Player

In case anyone else runs into this problem here is Sony's response; I've done the first pass, now I will start reenabling programs that I need:

Hi Roger,

Thank you for contacting Sony Creative Software. First, reset the application. To do this:

Close the program. Now press CTRL+SHIFT while double-clicking on the program's icon to launch it. Continue to hold the CTRL & SHIFT keys until the program is fully up and loaded.

In newer programs, you will see a window that asks "Do you want to reset all preferences to default values?" Place a checkmark next to "Delete all cached application data" and then click Yes.

Now, please disable Startup applications and Background Services. To disable these items from starting, you can go to the Start menu and select Run. Then type msconfig into the field provided and press Enter or OK. In Windows Vista, there is a field at the bottom of the Start menu that you can type directly into.

Open the Startup tab, press the “Disable All” button and then Apply. Then go into the Services Tab, check the box next to “Hide All Microsoft Services” at the bottom of the window and choose Disable All. Then press Apply and OK and reboot the computer.

What functionality do you see at this time? Also, what is your installed version number of Quicktime?

** Note: This measure is for testing purposes. If you are disabling these services, none of these services are critical for your computer to start or function. We recommend this troubleshooting step to remove as many variables from the problem as possible; though you may also be disabling desired services like anti-virus or portable device recognition services like iPod Service, etc. If this solves your issue, you may want to repeat the steps above to open the MSCONFIG dialog so that you can re-enable most of these services. You may want to spend some time re-enabling these one at a time until you find the culprit. Most likely there are just one or two services that are causing the conflict.

If you still have a follow-up question on this particular incident, please feel free to update it. If you have a completely different question, please create a new incident.

Sincerely,

Kevin K.
Customer Service
Sony Creative Software Inc
Sony Creative Software - Vegas video - ACID & Sound Forge audio editing
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...