two questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:25 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Whenever you feel it's right for the piece you're doing.

Thank goodness we've gotten away from using ALL the transitions and effects we have access to all in the same piece.
Old October 24th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Thank goodness we've gotten away from using ALL the transitions and effects we have access to all in the same piece.
The amount and variety of transitions they pack into every NLE never cease to astonish.

Last edited by Brian Luce; October 24th, 2009 at 02:28 AM.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 01:53 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I use only cuts and plain dissolves 99% of the time, and I use the gausian blur for some photo transitions, but that is about it.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Same here for general footage - less is more, etc, etc . . . overuse of transitions and effects in a video is akin to using fourteen different fonts in a document - nasty!

The two places I do frequently use some of the more whacky transitions (and effects) are for title sequences and for bringing in/taking out lower thirds and other graphics or text overlays.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #20
Inner Circle

On the occasional corportate video where I use lower thirds, like you Ian I will use linear wipes, etc., on the lower thirds and the text on them.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Yeah the only time I use transitions other than fades or straight cuts is for lower thirds. Often use the linear wipe for that. I did however use a mix of transitions with solid colours on an intro once. Used some of the 3D ones and it came out quite nice. I dont think you could ever use them with videos though, only graphics.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Cuts, dissolves and fades (whichever is appropriate) IMO they still work the best.

Once in a while if the material calls for it I'll use something else but 99.9% are cut's, dissolves and fades.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...