DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   two questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/466293-two-questions.html)

Brian Luce October 22nd, 2009 08:18 PM

two questions

1 Attachment(s)
1) How do you make the name/title of each clip show up in the timeline on the clip itself?

2) I put a white block from "generate media" to make that flair for transitions. It caused the letterbox to go white. Never had that happen. How do I keep that from happening?

Mike Kujbida October 22nd, 2009 08:59 PM

1) View - Active Take Information (Ctrl+Shift+I).

2) Sorry but no idea :-(

Perrone Ford October 22nd, 2009 09:09 PM

#2. put it on a separate track, use track motion to set the size to match your 16:9 ratio.

But the REAL question, why are you seeing a letterbox?

Brian Luce October 22nd, 2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1436595)
1) View - Active Take Information (Ctrl+Shift+I).

2) Sorry but no idea :-(

Thanks. Btw, I use Vegas because it's the most intuitive for a technical moron like myself, but, "Active Take Information" sounds like something Babelfish would come up with.

Graham Bernard October 23rd, 2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1436599)
But the REAL question, why are you seeing a letterbox?

My guess is 'cos there is a mismatch between Project settings and media? Soooo, I guess the prior questions would be to ask - What are your project settings? What is the format of your Media?

I had to look REAL hard to catch that white area?

And, BTW, we do have a flash transition in Vegas? Maybe you've tried it and not liked it? But I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Grazie

Graham Bernard October 23rd, 2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1436606)
. . but, "Active Take Information" sounds like something Babelfish would come up with.

- Yeah, but which ear did you stick it in? Shouldn't matter? BBC Online - Cult - Hitchhiker's - Guide - Babel Fish

Grazie

Brian Luce October 23rd, 2009 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard (Post 1436650)

And, BTW, we do have a flash transition in Vegas? Maybe you've tried it and not liked it? But I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Grazie

Thanks, until tonight I'd never ever used a transition in Vegas other that cross dissolve which I accomplish by dragging the clip in the timeline.

Jeff Harper October 23rd, 2009 07:27 AM

Brian, another very nice dissolve to use, but you have to do it manually:

Use the gausian blur at the end of one a clip keyframes. I don't use it much but at times it is very nice.

Paul Kellett October 23rd, 2009 09:10 AM

Overlap the clips and drag one of the the cross effects into the transition, easier than keyframing the gausian blur.

Paul.

Brian Luce October 23rd, 2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1436760)
Brian, another very nice dissolve to use, but you have to do it manually:

Use the gausian blur at the end of one clip and at the beginning of another and using keyframes. I don't use it much but at times it is very nice.

Thanks Jeff, looks good, but like all transitions aside from cross dissolve, not sure where I'd use it. What situations do you use it?

Paul, didn't work when I tried that, it just applied the transition to the whole clip, not the overlap.

Paul Kellett October 23rd, 2009 11:19 AM

Eh ?Are you sure you didn't apply an effect to the clip ?
A transition is just that, a transition.

Paul.

Jeff Harper October 23rd, 2009 12:06 PM

Brian, Paul sounds right, sounds like you accidentally applied an FX to a clip instead of a transition. Transitions and FX are two separate panels.

Where to use the blur? I don't know, I use it SO infrequently, but mainly for situations calling for an elegant transition, particularly with photos. I use tons of pro photos mixed in with my wedding videos and that transition works nicely.

Brian Luce October 23rd, 2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 1436874)
Eh ?Are you sure you didn't apply an effect to the clip ?
A transition is just that, a transition.

Paul.

Ah I misunderstood, I thought you meant that the Gaussian blur effect dragged onto the overlapping clips on hte timeline would create a gaussian dissolve as it were.

Jeff Harper October 23rd, 2009 12:54 PM

Sorrry Brian...it's more complicated than that. This "blur transition" is not in the transition section. You use keyframes with the Gausian Blur FX to create a transition of your own. If you don't use many transitions, forget about it, it is not that big a deal.

Brian Luce October 23rd, 2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1436907)
Sorrry Brian...it's more complicated than that. This "blur transition" is not in the transition section. You use keyframes with the Gausian Blur FX to create a transition of your own. If you don't use many transitions, forget about it, it is not that big a deal.

I tested the homemade gaussian blur transition. As you all say, it's a nice look. Still don't know when I'd use it.