vegas 9 stuck at building peaks m2t at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 28th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

vegas 9 stuck at building peaks m2t

I'm using Vegas 9.0b, to edit captured HDV files, m2t.
Vegas gets stuck, freezes, when building peaks. I hit cancel on one of them, and the audio was corrupt in the middle, or missing altogether. I tried opening the file in trimmer (not on the timeline) and it had no audio.
When I tried the same file in Premiere Pro CS3 and it works just fine.

I tried mpeg2repair, but that doubled the file size and ran out of disk space. The exported file had no audio.

Anyone have any ideas or work around?
Gerald Labrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

OK, I've not experienced any of this, but here are some ideas...

Are you so close to being out of disk space that there isn't enough for the sfk/sfap0 peak files to be written? (they write to the directory where the video files are, by default, can't be changed)

Try removing the sfk/sfap peak files from the capture directory, and see if Vegas likes your video better...

There's a pref that's worth experimenting with, just to see if it helps narrow down the possibilities: Options | Preferences | General | Build peaks for visible events only. The idea here would be to drag your caps into the project media folder and see if they'll work there, then drag one to the timeline and see what happens.

Are you capturing in Vegas' HDV capture app? If not, it's worth trying.

Have you worked with M2T files from this cam captured the way you're capturing with this version of Vegas and seen it work? Or, is this the first time for this workflow...

Are you running in Vista? Does the Vista user account have administrator privileges?

Sorry I don't have a direct answer for you, but I hope this helps. BTW, 9.0c was just released, also worth trying that!
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Seth.
I tried all of your ideas, including updating to 9.0c, but it still acts up. After updating, more of the video did play through explorer/trimmer, but would eventually hang.

These were captured with Premiere CS3 and HDVSplit, that maybe why the errors.

Also, I noticed red frames in Premiere (where they work fine), so my guess is Vegas does not like dropped frames.

I'll have to work in Premiere for now...and I just got into liking Vegas too.
Gerald Labrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yeah, you gotta' do what you gotta' do to get your project out.

When you have time you might try going back to some camera tapes with Vegas, and see how it does for you.
Old October 29th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Trustee

I recently did several projects on a secondary computer that I had loaded consumer Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0B on. I used m2t files imported directly off the SDHC card, shot with a Canon HF11 set to the 17Mbps 1440x1080 quality level.
Other than the preview window lagging pretty badly when passing through a complex section of the timeline, I had no problems at all with any of the editing once I defragmented the harddrive.
I did have a couple of instances where Vegas froze while building the peaks, but that computer was having a lot of strange behavior during that first week so I didn't really think it was isolated to Vegas. Many different media programs were crashing. After defragmenting, I had no problems other than preview lag, which was to be expected with an underpowered computer.
That computer is a Core 2 Duo 6300 at 1.86 Gigahertz with only 2Gb of RAM and Windows XP Pro SP2.
Have you tried defragmenting your media drive?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:32 PM   #6
Inner Circle

My Vegas 9c is crashing like crazy too. Happens every time I try and import captured HDV files. Defragging now, hope it works.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...