flashing thumbs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 12th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Major Player

flashing thumbs

I work with three 21 inch monitors and therefore have plenty of space to keep a large Project Media panel opened at all times. I need to work with lots of thumbnails and as my project grows, the space quickly fills up until there comes a time when some of the thumbs start flashing between their icon mode and thumbnail mode. This usually occurs only to the last ones to be scanned, which is the top row. It is very annoying to the eye.

Is there a setting I might be able to adjust to make this stop? I've never seen this happen before 9.0c. If I pull the Project Media panel out of its dock and reduce its size, the flashing will stop, but then of course I have fewer thumbnails in view at the same time and have to use the scroll button to find the ones I'm looking for, so this solution isn't helpful.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that all my clips are AVIs.
Old November 15th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Now I have a bigger problem, which is my animation application TVPaint 9 Pro (or any other I presume) cannot overwrite an AVI when it is opened in Vegas 9.0c.
Vegas won't release AVIs anymore and to update my clips I have to first close Vegas or temporarily switch to another Vegas project; the simpler work-a-round.

To me this says that 9.0c has a bug, which 9.0b did not have and I wonder what my chances are that Sony will do anything about this since it seems quite evident that I am the only person in the world who is bothered by this esoteric omission. Is it worth the effort to report this and if yes, what are my chances that this spec of dust on the Vegas coat will ever get flicked off by Sony?
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Paul, if Vegas is not releasing those files when minimized, this suggests to me that you have gone into Options - Preferences and unchecked "Close media files when not the active application". Recheck that option and you should then be able to update the file from your other application.

Once Vegas becomes the active application, it will have to reattach to all the files. This can take some time depending on the number of files which is probably why you unchecked that option. So it's your choice - it can release the files and come back slowly or it can keep the files and come back quickly.

It seems to me that you must have only changed this in 9.0c and are blaming Sony for a preference change that YOU made.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks, Edward; you are right on all points.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...