DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Why are Quicktime files so big? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/467661-why-quicktime-files-so-big.html)

Brian Luce November 13th, 2009 04:00 AM

Why are Quicktime files so big?

Even the 56kbps 160x120 render setting produces files that are 50 meg and too big for email. The guy has a new Mac and the wmv files won't open.

I suggested he download wmp. Why are the low res QT files so big?

Perrone Ford November 13th, 2009 07:04 AM

They are large because of the codec you are choosing. Quicktime can house 50+ codecs. Which one are you using? And why aren't you sending him a .mp4 file anyway? Email is a TERRIBLE medium to use for this. The 5MB or 10MB file attachment size is a max for most email systems.

Edward Troxel November 13th, 2009 07:25 AM

I always request people to NEVER send me an e-mail that big. If it's larger than 1 meg, please upload the file somewhere on the internet and send me a LINK to that file. Then *I* can determine when I want to actually spend the time downloading the file.

Les Wilson November 13th, 2009 07:47 AM

I made one just now with the default settings for Modem and it's only 119K. Your settings and the video length make a difference.

MSFT would not keep the Mac WMP up to date. It was typically 2-3 versions behind Windows so it became obsolete and they stopped development altogether 4 years ago. You can make WMVs compatible with the last version they made (look it up on their website).

You can also point your friend to Flip4Mac website where they make a free Quicktime plugin for WMV. Not however, you can still make a WMV that won't play because it uses Windows only audio and video formats.

Better yet, use cross platform standards and practices. Stick to standard audio and video codecs, that's what they are for. Use websites for publishing video for playback and download.

Brian Luce November 13th, 2009 10:51 AM

I don't like sending email either, said video is on Vimeo, but his connection is too slow for it to play smoothly. So he asked for email file.

I'm working from a native m2t timeline, about 8 minutes of video.
Rendering as QT7, you get a template selection of 56kbps to 3mbps, even the 56k template yields big files despite tiny rez ad 15fps. I really thought that template would shrink the native files. Well, it does actually, but not nearly to the extent that the wmv settings do.

John Cline November 13th, 2009 05:11 PM

File size is determined exclusively by the bit rate per second at which the file is encoded multipled by the length of the video. Image dimensions and frame rate really have nothing to do with it other than from a quality standpoint. A QuickTime file and a Windows media file that are encoded at the same bit rate will be virtually identical in size.

Perrone Ford November 13th, 2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1446890)
I don't like sending email either, said video is on Vimeo, but his connection is too slow for it to play smoothly. So he asked for email file.

I'm working from a native m2t timeline, about 8 minutes of video.
Rendering as QT7, you get a template selection of 56kbps to 3mbps, even the 56k template yields big files despite tiny rez ad 15fps. I really thought that template would shrink the native files. Well, it does actually, but not nearly to the extent that the wmv settings do.

Can you post a screenshot of the encode window?

Brian Luce November 13th, 2009 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Cline (Post 1447053)
File size is determined exclusively by the bit rate per second at which the file is encoded multipled by the length of the video. Image dimensions and frame rate really have nothing to do with it other than from a quality standpoint. A QuickTime file and a Windows media file that are encoded at the same bit rate will be virtually identical in size.

Thanks, didn't know that.

Is the Sorenson Video 3 the culprit here?

Perrone Ford November 13th, 2009 08:29 PM

Yep, Sorenson is the codec. That is what needs to change. When you pull that down, you'll get TONS of options. However, most of the QT codecs are meant for editing, not delivery, so they will be large.

Brian Luce November 13th, 2009 09:08 PM

Yes, I switched to some of the other codecs and presto, as if by magic, the QT files are small now.

Eric Gulbransen November 15th, 2009 06:34 PM

First, use your compressor program Brian. On your (shhh) mac. It's fantastic. Just takes a while to get familiar with. Set "IN" and "OUT" points at say, 30 seconds, once you're in compressor (so you don't have to compress your entire video with each new test) and try adjusting the bit rate, the quality slider, your audio, the size, etc. etc. Keep the in and out points the same for each test. Then do a bunch of tests. Once you find settings you like, save them/name them. Next time you go into Compressor, scroll down in the settings window, your custom settings will be there at the bottom.

Second, A lot of folks won't be able to view your quicktime videos. It's annoying but it's reality. You already own flip4mac, so you're half way to a great "pc" solution. Maybe I'll get shot if I link you directly here. I don't know. Google "wmv for compressor". Guy named "Ken" comes up, click him. Great way to use your flip4mac INSIDE compressor, to turn out WMVs by the boat loads.

Third, remember that guy's name. Valuable resource for your laptop.

Perrone Ford November 15th, 2009 07:45 PM

Why wouldn't people be able to view his quicktime movies?

Brian Luce November 15th, 2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen (Post 1447802)
First, use your compressor program Brian. On your (shhh) mac. It's fantastic.

Actually I'm using a PC and Vegas 9c on a quad core. Thanks though.

Bryan Cantwell November 20th, 2009 03:29 PM

Your client should be able to download the original file directly from Vimeo, shouldn't he?