File Size with uncompressed AVI's in Version 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 16th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #1
Tourist

File Size with uncompressed AVI's in Version 9

Hey All,

Someone may be able to shed some light on why in Version 9 Pro, my uncompressed AVI outputs jumped in size by about a factor of 4. Which leads me to believe that the Project settings are not holding to the 8 bit I set in the properties window. In version 8 I used to be able to save out my video in AVI and have a reasonable albeit large file size. Now in version 9 it is four times as large leading me to believe it saved it in a 32bit AVI. This is using 1440x1080 HDV footage from a Sony V1U imported directly into version 9.

Any thoughts?

My old workflow was to take the uncompressed AVI to Streamclip for MP4 conversion and then to web. Now with the file size being astronomical, Streamclip is not giving me video on the mp4 only audio. Something seems amiss.
John Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Is it possible you're now rendering to uncompressed while previously you were actually rendering to DV? DV is about 13Gig / hour.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Tourist

I don't think I was in DV format because previous renders of about the same length of HDV clips was around 14gig. The video is only 1 minute 9 seconds and is rendering out uncompressed at 50gig. Is there something I could be missing?

Workflow is;

-Captured clips using Vegas
-Edited onto timeline
-Music added
-Render As, Windows AVI uncompressed.

The render time is about 12 minutes for the 1:09 finished video and I end up with the 50gig file. I wonder if there is a preference I need to adjust. I have read some weirdness about increasing or decreasing the render threads option.

Thanks for the reply Edward.
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Shot in the dark, but could there be some stray files hiding way down at the far reaches of your timeline that are getting rendered?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Tourist

Yeah I may look at that but I am highlighting only the portion of the timeline I need for the render.

I forgot to mention that I am on Vista 64 with the 64bit version of 9 Pro. My next step is to load up the 32bit version of 9 and see if I have the same issue.

Thanks all!
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Major Player

Ya, uncompressed shouldn't be 700MB/sec. Don't see why it'd be so big.

In V9 there is the option to use 32bit float / full range but in my tests those settings never affected render size, just output quality differences. 8/32bit are just project settings not render settings.
Old November 16th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Might want to reference this:

Blackmagic Design: Support Detail
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #8
Tourist

Thanks for all the references guys. I loaded in the 32bit Pro version of 9 and Defaulted the prefs. After doing some render tests it seems to be back to normal. The funny thing was that in my render templates under Windows for AVI there was a "=" in front of the Default Uncompressed template. After going back and forth between the 32bit version and the 64 bit version the "=" seemed to go away. I also vaguely remember there being an "*" in front of the template at one point as well. All things being equal I believe there was something I changed in preferences to give me the long render times and larger files. Now for the 1:09 rendered video it takes about 3:30 to render and a file size of 12.6gig for uncompressed AVI.

Thanks all,

-John
John Bires is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...