Vegas 9 taking AGES to build peaks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 18th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas 9 taking AGES to build peaks

I'm trying to open a project in Vegas 9 that was previously edited in Vegas 7.

The project begins to open up but Vegas 9 seems to be taking FOREVER building audio peaks, whereas the same project in Vegas 7 would have no problems at all.

Often the Vegas will crash during the peak building process and put out the following error message:

Problem Description
Application Name: Vegas Pro
Application Version: Version 9.0 (Build 563)
Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)
Fault Module: C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 9.0\FileIO Plug-Ins\m2tsplug\m2tsplug.dll
Fault Address: 0x10AD9D50
Fault Offset: 0x00059D50

Fault Process Details
Process Path: C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 9.0\vegas90.exe
Process Version: Version 9.0 (Build 563)
Process Description: Vegas Pro
Process Image Date: 2009-04-17 (Fri Apr 17) 09:12:56

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anybody have any idea what could be the problem?
Old November 18th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

If the files were captured in Vegas 7, you might try recapturing in Vegas 9 and see if you still have the same issue.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Edward, thank you for your response, unfortunately the project is over 7 hours in length and to recapture will take a good deal of time.

My main reason for wanting to open in Vegas 9 was to render Blu-ray from the timeline but I guess I'll have to render out an mpeg2 in Vegas 7 and use DVDA Pro 5 for the blu-ray.
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

First thing update Vegas to 9.0c. Secondly, delete the original sfk files and see what happens. Peaks seem to take longer the first time when a project was created in a previous version to 9, at least that is what I have found sometime happens.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Wow! Seven Hours!

Wow! Seven Hours!

Don't delete the .sfk files. those are used with V7. Delete those and V7 will take forever to open again!! if/when you open it in V9, it has to build new peak files(can't save in an old version). Let it do its thing. If it crashes, the project file is TOO big. In V7 you can try splitting up your original project file into many smaller project files, say chapter points!

...in V7 do you have one BIG seven hour project file? No project file should be 7 hours - ever!

Last edited by Mike Calla; November 19th, 2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: idiocy
Mike Calla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I had the same experience. But it only has to build them once, and then after that you can open the project and the peaks are pre-built. So just load up your stuff, go for a long walk, and come back.
Robert Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I can't imagine the project on the timeline is 7 hours long. I often have 12-14 hours of tapes myself, but the project is created in segments, not in one 12 hour length.

At most I might have 4 hours of tape on the timeline at any one time, and peaks take at most 5-6 minutes to build for that amount. But when the project is a Vegas 8 project that I opened in Vegas 9, it has a time or two taken a LONG time to build. If you open and save the project in Vegas 9, you won't be able to reopen in Vegas 7, BTW.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Inner Circle

If you open and save the project in Vegas 9, you won't be able to reopen in Vegas 7, BTW.

Like most folks I know, my solution to that is to save the project with a different file name (eg. video-V9.veg) so that I know it was a Pro 9 version.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi all, many thanks for your responses -

Indeed the project is 7 hours in length under one project file, on one timeline!

In Vegas 7 I have edited endless projects of this length without any problems, peaks also usually build quickly, and generally V7 has been incredibly stable!

I saved the project to a new filename for use under V9 and peaks were taking a very long time to build - also V9 crashes halfway through the build.

I think I'll split the project in half and see if this works better :o)
Old November 28th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Right, there's no point in having a project longer in length than what you're planning to deliver it on. i.e., if your destination is DVD, then you must limit yourself to maybe 2 hour segments.
Joe Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #11
Regular Crew

True Joe, I used to work in smaller project segments. However since working on longer timelines, I've not really had many issues (if any) that can directly be attributed to the length of the timeline. But as I continue to delve further into HD/Blu-ray arena, I'm certain I will need to split my projects up

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...