Three DVD Architect questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 19th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Three DVD Architect questions

Now that I've cleaned up my wacky rendering problem, I'm ready to put my project to DVD. But I need to figure out a few things about DVD Architect first.

1) I want the ability to have optional subtitles (similar to "closed captioning"), but I was reading in another thread that if you make a subtitles file, then DVDA has to create a second set of .VOBs with the subtitles on them. What? I thought subtitles were generated on the fly by the DVD player itself from the .txt file. My main video is 5.1 GB (I'm burning to DVD-9) so if this is the case then I can't subtitle it. Surely that can't be right, is it?

2) I recently formatted my HDD and did fresh installs of Vegas 9 and DVDA 5.0. Now it seems that Vegas won't render out AC3 Pro (and won't give me the ability to build AC3 files with more than 192kb). It says I need to "unlock the plugin". But surely that should have been done when I installed and registered DVDA, right? Any ideas?

3) Since I'm going to be burning to a dual-layer disk, am I able to manually set the point where the DVD "shifts" to the second layer? I know most DVD players have a ~1 second pause when this shift happens, and I'd like to be able to make that happen at a point when the screen is faded to black in the movie, or at least at a point when there's not much happening onscreen.

Thanks in advance for all help.

RG
Robert Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Let's see...

1. You can create subtitle tracks easily, and no, it won't need new .vob files.
2. AC3 Studio.. not Pro.
3. I've seen the layer break option, but I cannot remember where to go to set it. I'll look.
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Perrone, thanks for a quick reply.

Per (2), under the AC3-studio option, my "custom" button is grayed out, so it's not letting me make the bitrate higher than 192kbps. I want 384kbps sound for this DVD. I distinctly remember being able to do this on my previous version of Vegas, version 7. Why would I have lost it?
Robert Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Is this the Pro versions? Or the Movie Studio versions?

If you installed the Pro version of DVD Archtect, then it should have unlocked the AC3 Pro renderer. You might check with Sony Customer Service.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Edward is correct. I was wrong. AC-Pro should be turned on if you have the Pro version.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...