.PNG image buttons highlighting in Preview, but not on DVD player -- what to do? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 27th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

.PNG image buttons highlighting in Preview, but not on DVD player -- what to do?

I made my menu buttons in DVDA with .png files so they could have transparent background.

I have them set to either mask overlay, or image mask overlay, with a deep blue color.

In DVDA preview, the images light up with that blue color when they are moved between with the remote function.

However, on two DVD players I have tried, NOTHING happens. The images are not highlighted or indicated in any way, and you cannot tell at all where your "cursor" is on the menu.

Is there any reason this should be? Any way to fix this?

I appreciate any timely help, as I am supposed to be sending this project out to the replicator TOMORROW and this is the last problem I have encountered. It would be silly to have to delay the project by several days (because of the Sunday) just because I can't get any menu buttons to highlight!
Robert Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

To add a little more info: the only "unusual" thing I am doing with these buttons is fading them in using keyframes and alpha.

I have tried both yes and no for the "leave button on before loop point".

I feel like the problem is something obvious that I've just not tried. Anyone?
Old November 28th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

To add one more thing here -- since I seem to be shouting into the abyss since nobody's on the forums....

I would try doing the mask as an image mask to see if that works, but when I put image masks on the image mask of the initially highlighted button is visible from the moment the menu activates!

In other words, although the background and the buttons gradually fade in one by one, the highlighted image mask stays on from the very first frame, so it looks crappy!

Is there a way around that?!
Old November 28th, 2009, 12:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Just poking around the help and found this:

"Animated button highlights are not supported. If a button has keyframe animation applied, button highlighting is not animated or may not be visible when you burn your project to disc. You will see the button highlighting when you preview your DVD Architect Pro project but not after it is burned to disc."

So, in other words, I have to decide between EITHER having animated (i.e., fading in) buttons, OR having highlighting? What's the !#$@ point of even including the animation then? Highlighting is a mandatory thing, a DVD menu is useless without it!

ASDGLADGLKADLGKSLDGKLSDKG

Does anyone know if there's some kind of workaround here? I don't know, a DVD script?
Old November 28th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Okay guys, with the help of this thread...

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...ight-mask.html

I was able to figure it out!

You have to set the LOOP POINT to a point in the menu AFTER all the buttons have faded in. And make sure all buttons and fading elements have (SHOW BEFORE LOOP POINT = YES) selected.

Why DVDA makes this such a complicated process I'll never know, but I'm glad to have finally figured it out!
Robert Gould is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...