can vegas 9 output to flv? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 16th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
output to Lagorith, then to flv or f4v via Adobe media encoder.
For when u want the best. :)
That's kind of pointless. If you're going to do that, do like I said above, just frameserve to Adobe Media Encoder and save yourself the extra render, extra time, extra file space, and any potential quality loss.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #17
Trustee

Can you frameserve from 64 bit Vegas?
Ive never tried, what additional software do you need , if any?
Gerald Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #18
Sponsor: JET DV

I don't believe Satish's Frameserver is compatible with the 64-bit version. Should work in the 32-bit version, though.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Rolo View Post
Just export mp4 or mov (both h264) and change the extension to flv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
...I was under the impression that an h264 file that had simply had its extension changed to flv would not look as good as the same file with its original mp4 extension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Rolo View Post
I can't see any difference and I always do that.
Luis, are you embedding a flash player and using these files on the web?

If so, have you figured out how to set up the render so the mp4/flv plays while progressively downloading, or, must the file fully download before play starts?

I wasn't able to solve this one inside Vegas, after trying the three mp4 encoders. The QT7 encoder doesn't support either of the allowable flv audio codecs, even though it suppposedly can "fast start".
Old December 18th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #20
Major Player

Flv converter

Quote:
Seems to convert everything into everything EXCEPT FLV! ;-)
Beg your pardon here is a screen shot of my settings, it does a perfect job from uncompressed avi into flv
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Seems to convert everything into everything EXCEPT FLV! ;-)
had word doc, screen shot, which didn't attach, but settings are in drop down box, under format, pick flv,
disabled filter, vivid color correction, Flv1 HQ Ultra under video encoding, audio whatever you desire, under video on top bar, pick resolution, and size you want, same with audio, this is very good flv converter, I convert an umcompressed avi to these settings, usually 640x360 for internet, there are different bit rates, etc, now they have new version:
Winnydows Home
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Oops, no screenshot!

I'm sure you're right, Hugh, and I'm not arguing!

However, the link you posted in your original message takes you to a web page that looks extremely suspicious. The entire page links to an install of Silverlight and nothing else, which people might not want to do, myself included. So I did a search for the app you mentioned. The first page I found (XviD4PSP - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com) said this:

>>>Xvid4PSP is an easy to use and high quality all-in-one program for converting videos for PSP, PS3, iPod, BlackBerry, Iphone, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, SonyEricsson, Nokia, Itouch, Blu-ray and PC like AVI, DV, MP4, M2TS, MKV with H.264, XviD, MPEG2 video and AAC, AC3, MP3 audio. Hardcode subtitles. Simple cutting in FCP version<<<

i.e. no mention of flv!

I can now see that the latest release does output to flv so I happily stand corrected (but at least you can see why I said it!)
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Ah, there's that link again! ;-) With lots of Russian words! Really, not going anywhere near it! But, as I said before, I see it now supports FLV so I apologise for doubting you, Sir!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Throwing caution to the winds, I hit the winnydows site.

Apparently the site author is working on a silverlight CMS project, and the site is an example of the CMS in action. Not so nefarious?

There are three current variants on Flash Video codecs. I couldn't determine from the winnydows site which are implemented in XviD4PSP, but Hugh mentions "FLV1" above:

Sorenson Spark 3 aka. "Flash Video" - the original, this is free to encode, every "flash video" encoder does it. Relatively poor performance for the bandwidth, but OK for uses where picture quality is not so important, or, where more bitrate can be used. This is where Youtube started.

On2 VP6 aka. "Flash Video 8" - this one is not free. This is the codec that put flash video on the map as reasonable quality when compared to WMV. None of the freeware/open source encoders use it. This comes with the Adobe Flash application in both Flash and in Adobe Media Encoder, is also available from On2 in Flix, and is included or optional add-on to Sorenson Squeeze, depending on the version. This is a very, very good codec.

h.264 aka. "Flash Video 9" - free once again, slightly better quality for the bitrate than VP6, and is included in many of the freeware/open source encoders. However, not all encoders properly set it up in the FLV/F4V container format for progressive download on web pages. Gotta' be a little careful with this one, in that it takes significant processor power to decode. Clearly, this one is going to be with us for a while.

I hope this helps. The question for XviD4PSP or any other encoder is: What codecs can it encode to in the FLV/F4V container, and are they properly set up for progressive download? As near as I can determine through testing, none of Vegas' three encoders that do h.264 can properly set it up for progressive download (edit: in an embedded flash player).

Last edited by Seth Bloombaum; December 19th, 2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added "flash player" clarification at end of post
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Throwing caution to the winds, I hit the winnydows site.

Apparently the site author is working on a silverlight CMS project, and the site is an example of the CMS in action. Not so nefarious?[/b]
You're a brave man, Seth! :)

I'm sure XviD4PSP is a perfectly safe application - however 'free' software always makes me cautious and free software from Russia makes me doubly so! (sincere apologies to Russians in general for saying this). The fact that you have to go through an installation routine just to get to their software has me bordering on trembling! OK, so it's just Silverlight, now I know that, but it's an odd way to warm people to your products, IMO!

Additionally, even the name of the product suggests it's a tool for converting divx or xvid to watch on a PSP, rather than a Swiss Army knife for conversion between multiple formats.

Anyway, I guess I'm taking this off topic, for which I apologise. Your post was extremely informative. Personally I use Adobe Media Converter anyway, so I'm happy!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...