DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Any way to make Marquee running lights in Vegas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/468988-any-way-make-marquee-running-lights-vegas.html)

David Delaney December 5th, 2009 03:53 PM

Any way to make Marquee running lights in Vegas?

I am not sure if this can be done in Vegas or not? I have a poster and I want running lights like a marquee to go around it, animated off and on.

Thanks

Don Bloom December 5th, 2009 04:23 PM

Well first the good news. Yes it CAN be done in Vegas. Now the bad news. How much time do you have? ;-)

Vegas really isnt the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th choice for this IMO but if you don't mind having lots and lots of tracks with lots and lots and lots of KEYRAMES on a Video FX of Light Rays then yes it can be done. Careful, not too much coffee, you can miss keyframes that way. Methinks you'd be better off with AE, or some other program that is far and away better suited to do this type of work.
Good luck.

Terry Esslinger December 6th, 2009 12:06 AM

My experience is that by the time you have been able to teach yourself how to do it in AE you would have it done in Vegas. I really struggle with AE. Of course you might know how to do a bunch of other things then...

Edward Troxel December 6th, 2009 08:53 AM

Why not just create a series of still images. If you have a 3 light sequence, you'd only need three stills and then repeat them.

John Rofrano December 6th, 2009 11:39 AM

I'm with Edward. I would do this in Photoshop as an image sequence and import it into Vegas. Otherwise you could use generated media with the Cookie Cutter to make the lights and keyframe the color of the generated media to make them flash on and off or even different colors. As other have said, it's a lot of work.

~jr

Graham Bernard December 6th, 2009 03:11 PM

I did this in Particle Illusion. I used their "Stage Lights" - don't help you, but it saved much time for me.

Grazie

Ian Stark December 7th, 2009 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1456898)
Why not just create a series of still images. If you have a 3 light sequence, you'd only need three stills and then repeat them.

And you would only need to create one part of the marquee, eg the top line, then duplicate the track three times, reposition and reorient the duplicates to bottom, left and right, adjust them on the timeline so the 'flow' works and you're done. Don't forget to add a touch of the new Sony (old Velvet Matter) light plugins (Glint or Starburst).

Terry Shaw December 8th, 2009 06:05 PM

Edward and John have it right. I start in Photoshop by constructing each part of the marquee on its own layer
and when done render out each layer and moving everthing to Vegas or what ever NLE I'm using.

Terry