Any way to make Marquee running lights in Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 5th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Trustee

Any way to make Marquee running lights in Vegas?

I am not sure if this can be done in Vegas or not? I have a poster and I want running lights like a marquee to go around it, animated off and on.

Thanks
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well first the good news. Yes it CAN be done in Vegas. Now the bad news. How much time do you have? ;-)

Vegas really isnt the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th choice for this IMO but if you don't mind having lots and lots of tracks with lots and lots and lots of KEYRAMES on a Video FX of Light Rays then yes it can be done. Careful, not too much coffee, you can miss keyframes that way. Methinks you'd be better off with AE, or some other program that is far and away better suited to do this type of work.
Good luck.
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #3
Major Player

My experience is that by the time you have been able to teach yourself how to do it in AE you would have it done in Vegas. I really struggle with AE. Of course you might know how to do a bunch of other things then...
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Why not just create a series of still images. If you have a 3 light sequence, you'd only need three stills and then repeat them.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #5
Sponsor: VASST

I'm with Edward. I would do this in Photoshop as an image sequence and import it into Vegas. Otherwise you could use generated media with the Cookie Cutter to make the lights and keyframe the color of the generated media to make them flash on and off or even different colors. As other have said, it's a lot of work.

~jr
Old December 6th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Old Boot

I did this in Particle Illusion. I used their "Stage Lights" - don't help you, but it saved much time for me.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Why not just create a series of still images. If you have a 3 light sequence, you'd only need three stills and then repeat them.
And you would only need to create one part of the marquee, eg the top line, then duplicate the track three times, reposition and reorient the duplicates to bottom, left and right, adjust them on the timeline so the 'flow' works and you're done. Don't forget to add a touch of the new Sony (old Velvet Matter) light plugins (Glint or Starburst).
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Edward and John have it right. I start in Photoshop by constructing each part of the marquee on its own layer
and when done render out each layer and moving everthing to Vegas or what ever NLE I'm using.

Terry
Terry Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...