DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Rename SFL file and chapters are not loaded (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/469186-rename-sfl-file-chapters-not-loaded.html)

Darren Burns December 9th, 2009 01:09 PM

Rename SFL file and chapters are not loaded

I picked up a great script that renders multiple projects to multiple formats (Multiple Project-Format Render). I am rendering to two different MPG formats so I modified the script to add the template name to the output filename so they don't overwrite.

I then removed the template name from the MPG, AC3, and SFL files that I am using to create the DVD. The filename for all the files is the same for DVDA to pickup. The problem is once I rename the SFL file the chapter markers are not loaded into DVDA. If I leave the filenames as they are no problem.

Is there a way to rename the SFL (keeping the filenames consistent so that DVDA will pick them all up) and still have DVDA pick up the markers? I gather there is something embed in one of the files somewhere. Renaming just the MPG and AC3 files didn't work either.

Why don't I just leave the filenames as they are? I'm glad you asked... :) The filenames are about 40+ characters long and I like clean.

I have tried a script that creates an SFL file but then the markers are not on I-frames and being instructional videos I end up with a word or two from the previous section when I move the marker to an I-frame. Pedantic I know but one day they will have medication to remove perfectionist tendencies. :)

Many Thanks

Darren Burns December 10th, 2009 12:31 PM

From the lack of response should I gather that no one knows anything about how SFL files are linked to the MPG?

In a nutshell I just want to know why you can rename MPG and AC3 files (same filename with the appropriate extension) and DVDA still associates them but if you rename an MPG and SFL file the association is lost. Even though the filenames are the same.

Thanks

Edward Troxel December 10th, 2009 12:51 PM

The SFL file also has the name of the original MPEG2 file name in it. If you change the name, the two will no longer match.

Darren Burns December 10th, 2009 01:27 PM

Thanks Edward. Just re-wording what you wrote to make sure I completely understand.

When the SFL file is created it has the filename of the MPG file embeded in it, correct?

Thanks again.

Edward Troxel December 10th, 2009 01:55 PM

That is correct.

Darren Burns January 25th, 2010 12:00 PM

After some experimenting I found a work around. I render the projects into the multiple formats that I need, creating the SFL file at the same time, giving me the MPEG for the DVD with all the I-Frames for the chapters in the right places.

After renaming the filenames to a more managable length I use the other script I found to recreate the SFL file. When the SFL script prompts me for a location and filename I select to overwrite the renamed SFL file created in the first step. BINGO!! MPEG, AC3 and SFL files the DVDA loves. :) Light, sound and chapter markers just where I want them.