making blacks "blacker" or darker... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 13th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

making blacks "blacker" or darker...

Hello,

I'm wanting to make the black colors even darker in a few interviews that I just filmed. I have a black background that didn't disappear quite enough and I'd like to make this darker. I've heard editors use the term "crush" or "crushing" the blacks. Is this what I need to do? And if so, what does "crush" mean and how do I accomplish this in Vegas. Note: I'd like to make the blacks darker without changing the overall brightness of my shot. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I greatly appreciate everyone's help and feedback on this forum.

Jerry
Jerry Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 12:47 AM   #2
Major Player

One simple thing you can try is clicking the track FX button and picking "Sony Color Corrector" and then in the drop down menu try "Computer RGB to Studio RGB" and see if that makes any difference for you.

There is a black-crush FX I believe, but I've never been happy with the results from it. Very possible I am just using it wrong, hehe.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Rickert View Post
...There is a black-crush FX I believe, but I've never been happy with the results from it. Very possible I am just using it wrong, hehe.
That's probably the black restore filter. It has its uses, such as making sure that dark greys really are black, but, when using it to crush blacks it can look bad. "Bad" meaning that you have a sort of banding effect where something that should be smooth abruptly transitions from dark to black. Hard to describe, but you'll know it when you see it.

Much more useful for crushing blacks is the Sony Color Curves filter. Grab the handle that's indicated by the blue arrow and move it down and around - voila, you're crushing the blacks. The waveform scope is very handy to help you figure out what range you're pushing down into black.
Attached Thumbnails
making blacks "blacker" or darker...-sony-color-curves.jpg  
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Neal View Post
what does "crush" mean
Crush means pushing the black to make it 'blacker than black'.* Got yr waveform monitor turned on? A 'normal' video waveform will have a smooth variation between the top (white) and the bottom (black). Moving the waveform down toward black will create a hard line at zero.

Alternatively, you can 'clip' your whites by pushing them into a hard line at 100 (or higher with potential risks down the road).

The color correction or curves filters will give more precise results but you may want to start with Brightness and Contrast--it may do exactly what you need.

*actually, that's an analog term that really doesn't apply anymore.
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Neal View Post
Hello,I'm wanting to make the black colors even darker in a few interviews that I just filmed. I have a black background that didn't disappear quite enough and I'd like to make this darker.
How are you judging that your blacks aren't black enough?
What is your final delivery medium?
If it's a DVD, then you should be making adjustments based on viewing the video on a properly calibrated video monitor as a computer monitor has a completely different gamma and can not be trusted to accurately represent what you're viewing.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...